List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty obvious we are getting hanners and with the number of players delisted you would think we are also going to get some unproven players from other AFL clubs and other leagues. I would expect one from sandy either being McLean or Hille. I would expect GWS will supply us with an unproven player.Then we will probably trade players but they will be used on draft picks. If we don't get a PP we need to get around pick 20 for Hanners. That's all it will take.
Agree.
The Hanners trade is a done deal.
Price has been agreed, terms settled.
Self evident as the discussion with Hannebery occurred v recently and was initiated by Longmire and Harley, plus Hanners publicly committing exclusively to Saints.
Also self evident that the price does NOT include our #3 pick otherwise why the pitch for Shiel?

Longer’s 2017 and our contested numbers gets brought up a lot. How’d we go in that area in 2014 and ‘15 when he was also our number 1 ruck?

Bulldogs had Jordan Roughead as their ruckman when they were an awesome contested ball and clearance team.

Sydney have had a no name ruckman the past few years despite being at the top in contested ball. Hawks were ranked high for clearances during their three-peat with a combination of Hale and Ceglar running around.

I think I’ve made my point. You’ll never convince me that a ruckman ever has an enourmous impact on the hard ball stats. All you need from them is a contest and some around the ground work.

Without the thought of derailing this thread does anyone actually believe Marshall could be a full time ruckman though, I see him as more of a forward personally but happy to be proven wrong.

I do think he would have the versatility to be a ruckman and I love how all the ‘expert’ commentators see something special in him.

I can't see Hickey & Roughead going to WC together so if Hickey goes i'd say Roughead will come to us as a FA.
I’m running against popular opinion here but I don’t mind Roughead, he’s not a great ruckman but he’s a competitive, versatile player.

Not for us I guess but westhoff would be a good get for a contender.

Has their ever been a team that’s played without a ruckman? Let’s just stick an extra midfielder in the centre and let their ruck go uncontested ;p
Grant Thomas wasn't a fan of ruckmen. You still need someone at the contest or the ball will get whacked to your half-back line every time.
I remember GT played Jason Blake as a ruck against Sandilands I think in Tassie - to everyone's surprise he played the game of his life and held his own that day.

Grant Thomas wasn't a fan of ruckmen. You still need someone at the contest or the ball will get whacked to your half-back line every time.
I remember GT played Jason Blake as a ruck against Sandilands I think in Tassie - to everyone's surprise he played the game of his life and held his own that day.

Blake rucked a lot, he was surprisingly competent.
Wayde Skipper rucked most of the 2010 season for the Hawks and did OK.
Not sure who it was more recently played some games with no ruck at all. Might have been Essendon, from my memory they did ok once then got belted.

If we got desperate Josh Battle has a tank on him, ( and playing in the ruck isn't as rough as it used to be ).

Things seem to be shaping ok for the trade period at this stage. I think the Hickey pick for Hanners is very obviously the way to go - get that done on Day One and then have a look at Setterfield, Scrimshaw and Shiel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things seem to be shaping ok for the trade period at this stage. I think the Hickey pick for Hanners is very obviously the way to go - get that done on Day One and then have a look at Setterfield, Scrimshaw and Shiel.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that easy. The WCE first pick is likely to be close to 40. We will get hanners cheap but not that cheap.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that easy. The WCE first pick is likely to be close to 40. We will get hanners cheap but not that cheap.

They also have GC second round pick which is currently 20, so who knows what that will be after FA compo and PP.

Doubt we get that for Hickey straight though.

spot on. I believe GT thought that if your standard ruckman wasn't going to beat a giant like Sandilands, may as well attempt to negate him by just spoiling, and then try and exploit him by running off him. Doesn't always work, but did that day.

Without the thought of derailing this thread does anyone actually believe Marshall could be a full time ruckman though, I see him as more of a forward personally but happy to be proven wrong.

I do think he would have the versatility to be a ruckman and I love how all the ‘expert’ commentators see something special in him.

I think he'd be great at helping get the ball from the backline, or even helping drop back against a tall in defense.
Longer has taken 92 marks playing for StKilda. ( 56 games ). Marshall has taken 71 ( 13 games ).

Players who have taken as many marks per game than Marshall ( 5.6 per game ) over a season over the last few years.
Carlisle , Austin, Membrey Stevens, Riewoldt, Roberton, Montagna, Dempster Newnes.

Players who have taken as many "Contested" marks as Marshall ( 1.2) per game.
Carlisle , McCartin , Membrey, Riewoldt, Bruce ( more than Riewoldt in 2016 ) Hickey ( 1.3 in 2016), Lee, Dempster .

Are marks important? To me they are part of the retain possession and move the ball quickly thing.
I see Marshall as a tall utility.

Looks like Jeremy Finlayson is on the table and told by the club. I know we have so many backline players, however he would be the best kick at the club by a country mile.

We need to look to see if we can offload a few as we are stocked in that position some average players or others that have not come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back