May
Shiel
Neale
Polec
Hannebery
Wingard
McGovern
Kelly

Plus the rest.. All very good chances of finding new homes. I can't remember a period like it.

If you were going to leave for $$ - this would be the best time to do it. With all the other trades, the scrutiny would be minimal.

Media well & truly on the Shiel to Hawthorn bandwagon.

It seems like they’ve come along way back but may swoop in.
Why wouldn't he though.. Mitchell in tight extracting 40 x a game to him.

Clarko as coach. Immediate finals team. Same money as currently on playing in front of crowds 5 x the size...

Media well & truly on the Shiel to Hawthorn bandwagon.

It seems like they’ve come along way back but may swoop in.

He must know his own worth.
Certainly not worth the mega deal we’ve supposedly put to him.

He must know his own worth.
Certainly not worth the mega deal we’ve supposedly put to him.
I often wonder how accurate these figures are to begin with and just how much more it ends up net even if they are true.

I imagine the players agents have a pretty good idea of the off field earning potential various clubs offer plus the life after football opportunities.

I often wonder how accurate these figures are to begin with and just how much more it ends up net even if they are true.

I imagine the players agents have a pretty good idea of the off field earning potential various clubs offer plus the life after football opportunities.

He’s obviously a gun but is he that much of a gun.

Waiting for her to get dressed gives me time to post. Teenage daughter too, pretty much hours of free time to spend on wi fi. Carrying hair straighteners and all kind of shit half way around the world. Just spent the day swimming and boating and waiting to go to dinner now. Tough life. Our dollar has gone to shit though, last time I was here 2 years ago we had near parity with the Euro. We are getting like the Lira was, not just the Italian system of changing leaders we adopted.
I so know what you are talking about. My situation but different countries. Incuding the straighteners.

I rate him as a very good player that’s it, he walks into any midfield but in how many if any would he be the number 1 mid.

I think Shiel’s worth should be judged on what he can offer to his new club .
If it’s us , I reckon automatically he bridges the gap in our weaknesses of Contested possessions , clearances, tackles, inside 50. Add Hanneberry to the mix and statistically we are back in the ball game midfield wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the most likely outcome will be additions of Hannebery, Kent and maybe one or two highly rated youngsters that haven’t gotten their career going yet. Hopefully a pick between our first and fourth would be nice too.
If we ended with;

Hannebery, Kent, Setterfield with pick 4, 38ish ( Hickey ) then i'm pretty happy. Keeping next years first will be just as important as well.

Sorry I should have been more specific, as others have noted it was about running with him to negate his presence around the ground, which was mainly Lycett, Vardy pushing forward to create a third tall option in the forward line and actual what happened at the stoppages, Grundy had 2 Centre Clearances and 2 Stoppage Clearances, Vardy with 4 & 2, Lycett with 2 & 1, if we look at possessions and marks we have to factor in the impact of Cox who had a big impact but then time on ground Vardy @61%, Lycett @61%, Grundy @ 89% and Cox @92%, the places that Grundy has dominated all season has not just been as a pure ruck man but as a tall ruck rover with plenty of possessions and clearances, Lycett with 9 disposals, Vardy-14, Grundy-10, Cox-9.

If you go on straight hit out stats then you're right, but the picture is broader than that, even those numbers are questionable, Mitchell's impact on the WestCoast mids has been deep as xxxxx (with I forget which one) saying that Mitchell has taught the midfield group how to play to and with a non dominant ruckman. Without NicNat they've all had to learn a different way of setting up and how to play those roles.

My eye test as opposed to the numbers, Vardy in particular but Lycett too were less concerned about getting the hit out and more concerned about body position for what happened next, keeping Grundy out of the contest when the ball hit the ground (one of Mitchell's mantras, get the ball to ground and that's where the contest starts), working on the theory they were unlikely to beat him anyway but Grundy was just too dangerous to allow a free run at the ball. It may have been that if Vardy and Lycett were more concerned about hit outs they may have got more but lost the midfield battle as a group. With hit outs they let the baby have his bottle but Grundy's whole game impact was significantly reduced.

Given full stats and game impact I feel pretty good about saying Grundy was beaten, and beaten at what he does best, by a coaching and playing group that played as a team and thought about what they were doing and why they were doing it.

fantastic post

I think Shiel’s worth should be judged on what he can offer to his new club .
If it’s us , I reckon automatically he bridges the gap in our weaknesses of Contested possessions , clearances, tackles, inside 50. Add Hanneberry to the mix and statistically we are back in the ball game midfield wise.
Yes that’s also true but the missing part of that equation is where does it place us next year and going forward.

That has to be weighed up against just drafting whoever it is we fancy plus the possibility of landing 1 or 2 players who have a similar effect on the cheap.

The guy is by the look of it an absolute campaigner but if I could get spp on the cheap I would be very tempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back