List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i'm not fussed in missing on shiel. dont get me wrong he's a nice and very good player but dont feel he's a good fit.

At the purported 1.3x7 I'm not unhappy either.

(And that's coming from someone who's very happy for us to pay well overs to get A graders in.)

1.3×7 really is waaaay overs for someone of shiels ability.
He's on par with jack steven i reckon.

And we pay jack probably literally half that.

Yeah, you need to pay overs to get talent via trade vs draft....

But 30-40% overs should be the limit... maybe 50% overs when you're really desperate like we are.

But paying ~100% overs really is crazybrave.

the roos aint sacking their coach

we don't make finals next year, richo is gone. no free agent or elite out of contract players is coming to a club that hasnt played finals in 8 full seasons, who just sacked their coach.
Lol we’re not sacking ours, don’t know where you’re getting your facts from but all I’ve heard from the club officially is that they support Richo 100%

Just pointing out incase it wasn’t already stated in the chat but 28 minutes ago Matthew Lloyd on trade radio said that he expected Robert Harvey to join St Kilda as an assistant coach based on information he had been told. If so this is extremely excting!!!!!!
The prodigal son returns and if we can add a few players next year could be better than most expect.
Also does anyone know if we are considering bailey smith. All talk is that we are interested in max king but smith suits our needs perfectly even more so than sam Walsh imo ?

Just pointing out incase it wasn’t already stated in the chat but 28 minutes ago Matthew Lloyd on trade radio said that he expected Robert Harvey to join St Kilda as an assistant coach based on information he had been told. If so this is extremely excting!!!!!!
The prodigal son returns and if we can add a few players next year could be better than most expect.
Also does anyone know if we are considering bailey smith. All talk is that we are interested in max king but smith suits our needs perfectly even more so than sam Walsh imo ?
SEN have also mentioned it in last half hour

Sorry I should have been more specific, as others have noted it was about running with him to negate his presence around the ground, which was mainly Lycett, Vardy pushing forward to create a third tall option in the forward line and actual what happened at the stoppages, Grundy had 2 Centre Clearances and 2 Stoppage Clearances, Vardy with 4 & 2, Lycett with 2 & 1, if we look at possessions and marks we have to factor in the impact of Cox who had a big impact but then time on ground Vardy @61%, Lycett @61%, Grundy @ 89% and Cox @92%, the places that Grundy has dominated all season has not just been as a pure ruck man but as a tall ruck rover with plenty of possessions and clearances, Lycett with 9 disposals, Vardy-14, Grundy-10, Cox-9.

If you go on straight hit out stats then you're right, but the picture is broader than that, even those numbers are questionable, Mitchell's impact on the WestCoast mids has been deep as xxxxx (with I forget which one) saying that Mitchell has taught the midfield group how to play to and with a non dominant ruckman. Without NicNat they've all had to learn a different way of setting up and how to play those roles.

My eye test as opposed to the numbers, Vardy in particular but Lycett too were less concerned about getting the hit out and more concerned about body position for what happened next, keeping Grundy out of the contest when the ball hit the ground (one of Mitchell's mantras, get the ball to ground and that's where the contest starts), working on the theory they were unlikely to beat him anyway but Grundy was just too dangerous to allow a free run at the ball. It may have been that if Vardy and Lycett were more concerned about hit outs they may have got more but lost the midfield battle as a group. With hit outs they let the baby have his bottle but Grundy's whole game impact was significantly reduced.

Given full stats and game impact I feel pretty good about saying Grundy was beaten, and beaten at what he does best, by a coaching and playing group that played as a team and thought about what they were doing and why they were doing it.

Yeah I see what you are saying, can’t argue with you there.

Go Saints

SEN have also mentioned it in last half hour

Well that's certainly one way to retain/boost memberships. Quietly excited!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched him play vs NT I believe and he was outstanding. Dont worry, Setters is a star...best comparison is to Sydneys Josh Kennedy IMO. The type of player you can build a midfield around.

I have no doubt he’s a star. I’d just much rather look at his junior footy and his senior exposure before NEAFL form. I’ve found NEAFL can make some kids look a lot better than they actually are while it makes others look worse than they actually are. The footy definitely suits the insiders much more than the outside players.

Not keen on Townsend. Imo he was only valuable last year because he was kicking goals from anywhere and everywhere - something that previous years and 2018 would suggest is an anomaly. Not to mention Richmond being the best team in the comp could afford to play someone like that if they're going to be lethal in front of goal which his form at the time showed.

Someone struggling to get the ball who is largely dependent on the rest of the side performing to have an impact doesn't hold great appeal for me.

Won't even get into the difference between our forward entries and richmonds lol

Did you see the game or did anyone else , id love to hear their thoughts on him , i know he is only young so he has time on his side and lets hope the saints have him down the club and start getting some work into him
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10-01/luke-power-biggy-impressive

Luke Power: Biggy 'impressive' - saints.com.au

181001-biggy.jpg

Ex-Lion Power likes what he sees in the Saints' Next Generation Academy product.

If Bigoa ‘Biggy’ Nyuon wasn’t already an exciting prospect for St Kilda, then his standout efforts in the Grand Final curtain-raiser should have Saints fans turning their heads.

Biggy was selected to play in the NAB AFL All-Stars 'Futures' clash on Saturday morning ahead of the decider, and the 195cm Sudanese-born talent grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

The 17-year-old moved well across the larger expanses of the ‘G, reeling in an equal game-high eight marks.

READ: No small feat for 'Biggy'

But his biggest impact was in front of goal, the young gun booting a game-high three goals straight, including a superb banana in front of the MCC.

Biggy’s influence was singled out by triple-premiership player and National Academy Head Coach Luke Power.

“Biggy was pretty impressive playing in a variety of positions,” he told saints.com.au.

“He has been playing a fair bit as a key defender at TAC Cup level, but we used him in the ruck on the weekend and he also spent some time forward.

READ: 'Biggy' named in curtain-raiser

“He looked really dangerous every time the ball came in – he’s still a bit slight and needs to build up his strength, but he clearly has a lot of talent and has really improved this season.”

Biggy is the younger brother of former Bombers rookie Gach Nyuon, and trains as part of the elite talent pool at the Saints’ Next Generation Academy.

Not keen on Townsend. Imo he was only valuable last year because he was kicking goals from anywhere and everywhere - something that previous years and 2018 would suggest is an anomaly. Not to mention Richmond being the best team in the comp could afford to play someone like that if they're going to be lethal in front of goal which his form at the time showed.

Someone struggling to get the ball who is largely dependent on the rest of the side performing to have an impact doesn't hold great appeal for me.

Won't even get into the difference between our forward entries and richmonds lol
Well he wont cost much.

Our midfield is putrid and squarely the reason we are practically on the bottom of the ladder.

No point trading bruce (or anyone else of note) if it doesn't improve our midfield.

Gresham, Acres, Steele, Clark, Billings, Coffield. All players that have had relatively minimal exposure in the midfield due to a coach with an inability to trust young players.
Hopefully this changes with new senior and very confident assistants.
I think our midfield will improve significantly over next season if these players are developed correctly and given exposure.

181001-biggy.jpg

Ex-Lion Power likes what he sees in the Saints' Next Generation Academy product.

If Bigoa ‘Biggy’ Nyuon wasn’t already an exciting prospect for St Kilda, then his standout efforts in the Grand Final curtain-raiser should have Saints fans turning their heads.

Biggy was selected to play in the NAB AFL All-Stars 'Futures' clash on Saturday morning ahead of the decider, and the 195cm Sudanese-born talent grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

The 17-year-old moved well across the larger expanses of the ‘G, reeling in an equal game-high eight marks.

But his biggest impact was in front of goal, the young gun booting a game-high three goals straight, including a superb banana in front of the MCC.

Biggy’s influence was singled out by triple-premiership player and National Academy Head Coach Luke Power.

“Biggy was pretty impressive playing in a variety of positions,” he told saints.com.au.

“He has been playing a fair bit as a key defender at TAC Cup level, but we used him in the ruck on the weekend and he also spent some time forward.

“He looked really dangerous every time the ball came in – he’s still a bit slight and needs to build up his strength, but he clearly has a lot of talent and has really improved this season.”

Biggy is the younger brother of former Bombers rookie Gach Nyuon, and trains as part of the elite talent pool at the Saints’ Next Generation Academy.

Our biggy fish

I look at Sidebottom & his growth from being a gun to being absolutely elite in the last 2 years (9th & 10th season)

This is why we should be making a massive pitch to Andrew Gaff who is just finishing his 8th season, as he will continue to get better as Sidebottom has.
Or keep Luke for another four years?

I find that very hard to believe. Managers are leach’s and they get a thing called commission. Some of their players wouldn’t even get a contract elsewhere. Most would prob have a player at the saints already so they’re generally not gonna tell some of their clients one thing and their other ones something completely different. They’re gonna follow the cash $$$ and long term contracts. That’s what puts a brand new bmw in the driveway not team success.

Why isn’t Gaff, Kelly or Fyfe a Saint then?
Managers want their players at the club that will make them the best player for the longest amount of time, and a club that give the most off field opportunities.
If a manager was putting clients at poor clubs just for the money then he’d be out of the industry in no time.

I have no doubt he’s a star. I’d just much rather look at his junior footy and his senior exposure before NEAFL form. I’ve found NEAFL can make some kids look a lot better than they actually are while it makes others look worse than they actually are. The footy definitely suits the insiders much more than the outside players.

Yeah like when Tom Mitchell was getting 60 possessions in NEAFL when really that's inflated because if you put him the AFL he can only really get 50. I see where you're going with this.

As you were J

This place is fantastic.

Posters don't want Sheil who they reckon is over priced. Well looks like they have their wish.
Don't want Hanners cause he is shot, bad luck we got him.

Don't want Kent, don't want Townsend.

We end up with nobody like last year and everyone screams the club is useless.
Polec
Gaff
Sheil

All don't want to come so we need to look elsewhere.

Oh and BTW trade period hasn't started.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

181001-biggy.jpg

But will we be able to adapt him to play Saints footy. We don't want our ruckman taking marks around the ground and kicking goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back