Prediction 2018 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

should think about it.
That side needs as much talent into it as possible.

4x top 20 picks if they use them well could turn out better for them than 2x top 3.
Not saying they don't, but it's still not a fair swap IMO, esp when those 2 top 3 picks could be pick 1s...

Not saying they don't, but it's still not a fair swap IMO, esp when those 2 top 3 picks could be pick 1s...
certainly not an even trade, but i think it does better for Carlton to get 4 top 20 kids in, or even use those picks to land some 23-25yo talents, over adding 2 #1's over 2 years.

certainly not an even trade, but i think it does better for Carlton to get 4 top 20 kids in, or even use those picks to land some 23-25yo talents, over adding 2 #1's over 2 years.
You've just contradicted yourself?

I agree with adding the 23 yo's though, that's their real issue. But I think you can get more for 2 1's than that.

But who of quality, actually wants to go there? I can't see any reason to...

You've just contradicted yourself?

I agree with adding the 23 yo's though, that's their real issue. But I think you can get more for 2 1's than that.

But who of quality, actually wants to go there? I can't see any reason to...
Never thought it an even trade. More a means to a much needed end trade.
They severely lack the experienced talent that can nurture the likes of Curnow, Cripps, Dow, Fisher, and co.

$ and they're one of the bigger Vic based clubs. Both of those should work in their favour.
The current state of the list may be a slight hamper on them.

Other than St Kilda, Carlton are the only other Vic club who are out of any sort of premiership window.
So the age range they can target is quite specific and not easy to get a hold of.

Any one under 23 would need to be better than the pick they could take.
Any one over 27 is unlikely to be in their next premiership side.
24-26 year olds are likely going to want a club less than 2 years away from challenging top 4

If the player was available, a deal or two like Mitchell for 14 & a 3rd would sort them out nicely
We got Smith & Stringer for pick 10 and change last year.

Never thought it an even trade. More a means to a much needed end trade.
They severely lack the experienced talent that can nurture the likes of Curnow, Cripps, Dow, Fisher, and co.

$ and they're one of the bigger Vic based clubs. Both of those should work in their favour.
The current state of the list may be a slight hamper on them.

Other than St Kilda, Carlton are the only other Vic club who are out of any sort of premiership window.
So the age range they can target is quite specific and not easy to get a hold of.

Any one under 23 would need to be better than the pick they could take.
Any one over 27 is unlikely to be in their next premiership side.
24-26 year olds are likely going to want a club less than 2 years away from challenging top 4

If the player was available, a deal or two like Mitchell for 14 & a 3rd would sort them out nicely
We got Smith & Stringer for pick 10 and change last year.

Have vehemently suggested that the best thing Melbourne did was go and get some leadership. They added Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince in the space of 2 off seasons. Doesn't sound a lot but they brought leadership, a winning mindset, an attitude no talented could bring to an AFL club.

Have vehemently suggested that the best thing Melbourne did was go and get some leadership. They added Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince in the space of 2 off seasons. Doesn't sound a lot but they brought leadership, a winning mindset, an attitude no talented could bring to an AFL club.
If you can get the ones in that will contribute onfield too, it works quite well.

But in this case, im more thinking about the lines of using picks to go for sure fire things.
Like we did with Smith, Stringer and Saad, Hawks did with Mitchell, etc.

Blues have some class in the upper age bracket in Murphy, Simpson and Kruezer.
And some great kids coming along.

Docherty is the only one in between helping bridge the rest of the gap.
If you rely on kids and picks to fill it, the seniors retire before you're ready, and if this crop of kids doesn't pan out (which owes more to development and culture than their draft position), it's back to another rebuild.

What makes you think he will get offered more than that? He’s a good player, but can be shut out of the game far too easily to be regarded in the top tier imo.
Every team in their window would most likely have a player on their list who would be more of a priority to tag than Sloane.

Given he's being considered as open to FA offers from a Victorian team, which Vic teams would Sloane be the no 1 midfielder at?

St Kilda yes, he'd be the best outside mid at North so might attract a tag there but that leaves Cunnington to run rampant, perhaps at Bulldogs with Bont carrying an injury so playing forward more (Macrae gets more of the ball than almost anyone but Sloane has more hurt factor per possession than Macrae).
Essendon you'd toss a coin as tagging Sloane leaves Z Merrett free. Carlton you'd still probably try shut down a Murphy or Cripps (if Cripps can be stopped).

Given FAs don't cost picks teams seem happy to bid a little extra for them.

What makes you think he will get offered more than that? He’s a good player, but can be shut out of the game far too easily to be regarded in the top tier imo.
Dons would offer a decent enough contract.
Probably something in the vicinity of what we gave Goddard over 3 years. So around the 700k mark
Not sure what that triggers...but then again, who does
He'd likely have it heavily front loaded too.

If you sit on him with a tagger, it leaves Heppell, Merrett, Stringer, Smith, McGrath free.
money well spent on our behalf.

I do question his age vs our list profile.
Would come in and be in our top 4 oldest players (Hooker, TBC, Goddard older).
I dont know if he comes in and makes us a top 4 club to challenge in 2019/2020. I'd want to see more from us prior to years end.

Dons would offer a decent enough contract.
Probably something in the vicinity of what we gave Goddard over 3 years. So around the 700k mark
Not sure what that triggers...but then again, who does
He'd likely have it heavily front loaded too.

If you sit on him with a tagger, it leaves Heppell, Merrett, Stringer, Smith, McGrath free.
money well spent on our behalf.

I do question his age vs our list profile.
Would come in and be in our top 4 oldest players (Hooker, TBC, Goddard older).
I dont know if he comes in and makes us a top 4 club to challenge in 2019/2020. I'd want to see more from us prior to years end.
If you go back to what I was replying to you’ll see that Rockliff was who we were comparing to, on $700-750k who triggered band 2 compo. So really you’re agreeing with me that it’s doubtful anyone would be paying that top premium that you would for a top end mid that would trigger band 1.

Pick 1 for mcgovern and pick 10 is a starting point. Adelaide would have to give at least one more first round pick.

Then we swoop on Jeremey as a FA.

Praise be to SOS.

Absolutely he might not get offered more than around $800K per season..great. The crows will match and then it becomes a trade and they will end up with more than the compo pick. If would be in the purchasing club's benefit to make sure the offer is high enough that the crows won't match and will be happy to take band 1 compo - after all the purchasing club then does not need to lose draft picks and or players to bring him in. I think the Vickery deal from Richmond to Hawthorn went along those lines (ie hawthorn offered enough of a deal to ensure richmond did not match and were happy with the compo pick) from memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you go back to what I was replying to you’ll see that Rockliff was who we were comparing to, on $700-750k who triggered band 2 compo. So really you’re agreeing with me that it’s doubtful anyone would be paying that top premium that you would for a top end mid that would trigger band 1.
Yep, i am.
cant see much more being offered. Wasn't across the Rockliff deal.
Though i do think the AFL may view the fact Adelaide have lost so many players and could lose more and make up some way to get them Band 1.
who even knows anymore.

Pick 1 for mcgovern and pick 10 is a starting point. Adelaide would have to give at least one more first round pick.

Then we swoop on Jeremey as a FA.

Praise be to SOS.
that doesn't rate McGovern very high. late 2nd at best assuming they climb the ladder again.

I honestly thought he was a free agent. Hasn’t Lynch been on an AFL list since 2008? I would take him at the Hawks in a heartbeat. He would allow Gunston to play as a permanent forward.
Came to Adelaide from St Kilda in 2012. He was struggling to get a regular start in the 1's. Really came to Adelaide for opportunity. From memory I don't think Lyon rated him.

Rockliff signed for $650k x 4 years.

Jake Niall - “close to $700,000”. Could’ve easily heard 600k from sources, decided 600 is close to 700 and reported that. Loves a bit of embellishment
LOL Think thats a little more reliable than the Brisbane Lions board on big footy - Your comrades are not the most reliable posters going around

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2018 trade hypothetical thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back