Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strategy is there! Just because you disagree with the strategy, it doesn’t mean that there is no strategy.

Are you sure there is a strategy?

Seems to me this is another year where we went early, were implored to wait for the big picture that never came whilst accepting unders first up

Looks to me like we got less for our player than those guys who held out, and by going early gave Port a target to aim for.

Port are inside ALL of our 3 first round picks. All of them!

5>8, 10>13, 15>16

I hope this time next year, we are in Jack Lukosius ear to come home after 1vyear.

Offer him a 4 year $500,000 a year deal.

We are not drafting him this year. We will go in with 4 picks.
What drugs are you on? No second year player with less than 20 games gets offered that coin for 4 years.
He'll be lucky to play 10 games. You act like he's the second coming of christ.
He may not even make it at all.

Seems to me this is another year where we went early, were implored to wait for the big picture that never came whilst accepting unders first up

Looks to me like we got less for our player than those guys who held out, and by going early gave Port a target to aim for.

5>8, 10>13, 15>16

What big picture? Reid said right at the start that clubs rarely give up a top 5 pick.
Pick 13 was the only 1st rd pick we were going to get for McGovern.

5>8, 10>13, 15>16

The grand explanation is that our master strategy is to both spend and save the same dollar, and the proof that this works is the one grand final loss that we've had since the millennium.

Lol.

Players want out: 'Our club is a basket case, no one wants to be around.'
Players want to stay: 'Our club is a basket case, we didn't trade out all our players.'

Players like CEY, Otten and to be honest Douglas and Mackay dont really count as a successful retention when no one else really wanted them. We just got obsessed with retention given all the bad publicity the club was getting. Nothing wrong with trading / delisting the right players.

From this trade period the following 4 things are clear:

1) God help us if we ever get in trade war with Port for players such as Rankine etc should they wish to return home. They are as aggressive during this period as we are meek. Credit where credit is due, they have tried everything to mitigate the loss of 2 x top 6 B&F players.

2) The AFC obviously think the premiership window is closed too given they have sat idly while, for the last 2 years, the OUTs from our 22 (Cameron, McGovern and Lever) far exceed the Ins (Gibbs).

3) You think the last 20 years was bad get ready for the next 20 as they will be much worse for a club who is as conservative as the AFC. Player movement is just going to escalate from here on in so if you are not going to aggressively pursue talent, or are incapable of enticing talent to your club, you will be spending a lot of the time in the bottom 10 of the ladder.

4) The AFC support base has been left shell shocked after nearly a decade of disasters, player exoduses and implosions. We will accept anything as a positive. The hype over the trading of a SANFL player was as genuinely sad as it was disturbing.

Anyway, goodbye and good luck!

I see both sides of the Geelong/Kelly trade position. He wants to go home......Just like Dangerfield. Geelong should have been more sympathetic to that considering what they gained from Patricks return.

It's almost like successful clubs couldnt care less about 'sympathy' to departing players.

I think Geelong think next year is the very final year to win something with their squad.

They need Kelly for that because they'll almost certainly lose him for very little next year

Their window is well and truly shut imo. They’re just delaying their inevitable fall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see both sides of the Geelong/Kelly trade position. He wants to go home......Just like Dangerfield. Geelong should have been more sympathetic to that considering what they gained from Patricks return.
However Kelly nominated Eagles (or his manager did)....which in hindsight was biting off more than Geelong could chew. I think this is a case where the AFLPA need to reign in the player managers eager to break contracts for their own benefit more so than their clients.

This is just speculation on my part and may be wide of the mark but i'm thinking his manager tried to sell the trade to Kelly with the promise of premiership glory when he may have been better off just opening his options to Freo as well.

My guess is if Freo were involved he would be heading home tonight.
Not that home sick afterall

We will get a top talent with pick 8.

The other guys will have things they need to work on but the potential will be there.
Write this down , Lukosius will be a Justin Westhoff type or a taller version of Adelaide’s Tom Lynch and as much as I love Rankine , I believe Connor Rozee has a greater ceiling than Rankine .
Remember the hype that surrounded James Aish, Jimmy Toumpas who went in top 10 and Ben Kennedy who went in the teens and take note that although they played well in the SANFL as teenagers and everyone was having B_ _ _ rs about them look at the AFL careers they have had. Crap to ok .
Thus why four picks in top 21 ain’t a bad hand . We have got many great players in the teen picks and WEST COAST and GEELONG is an example of a star team win premierships not a team of stars .

Last edited:
574886_4464c8e429c0f065695ac26a952dd81f.png

What drugs are you on? No second year player with less than 20 games gets offered that coin for 4 years.
He'll be lucky to play 10 games. You act like he's the second coming of christ.
He may not even make it at all.
Tom Boyd?

Players like CEY, Otten and to be honest Douglas and Mackay dont really count as a successful retention when no one else really wanted them. We just got obsessed with retention given all the bad publicity the club was getting. Nothing wrong with trading / delisting the right players.
Right... and what are they gonna get us in return? Pick 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back