Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** sake mate, you do realize not every player has a
6 pack and 7% body fat!
I would be worried if the bloke was skin and bones, he’s a 6ft +
110kg ruckman!

plus it’s the second
Week of Jan, don’t be so judgemental! I bet my bottom dollar the bloke would run rings around you

I am sure he would, seeing I am 71. But I am doing ok, and not carrying flab about the place. I look after myself to a T, and so should Nik Nat. He should not be carrying that midriff. He is getting almighty bucks to keep in shape.

I am sure he would, seeing I am 71. But I am doing ok, and not carrying flab about the place. I look after myself to a T, and so should Nik Nat. He should not be carrying that midriff. He is getting almighty bucks to keep in shape.
Show off!! I can only dream of being like that at your age.

I'm 30 years your Junior and at 189cm and 109kgs, my body has been crafted by Beer and Bourbon.
To be fair, when I was super fit I was still early 90's though.

I will be absolutely livid if Naitanui gets injured again whilst our daft medicos sit their scratching their head trying to work out why.

Just let the guy who's had an injury plagued last 5 seasons, coming off 2 separate knee reconstructions, just roll around like Fat Albert at the heaviest playing weight of his career.

Makes complete sense.

Fold while we still can.

As is normal for these open training sessions it was pretty low key so not a lot to report on to be honest.
  • Hickey, Sheed and Yeo were all no shows. Shuey also did very little
  • As has been mentioned Gov worked away from the main group doing some running and not much else
  • Likewise Allen, Vardy and Ah Chee worked with fitness staff
  • Naitanui did the warmup exercises then disappeared, possibly to get his ubereats order
  • First year players trained but sat out some drills. Main thing I noticed was how small Ben Johnson is. Mo’neill I only spotted at the end standing on the boundary so not sure if he was involved earlier but I don’t think so
  • Brady grey trained with the main group. Didn’t see Reid. Pihckett wasn’t there
  • Barrass did most of the session and looks to have recovered well. He’s certainly ahead of Gov
  • Could be a breakout year for Rotham. Had a taste last year and looks more assured like he believes he belongs
  • Nelson is training really strongly. Seems determined to push himself at every opportunity
  • Liking the development of Williams. Long way to go before the season starts but he’s be a smoky for a round 1 debut
  • Watching Brander collect balls below his knees at pace it’s easy to forget he’s ~195cm. Very clean
  • Watched Ainsworth for a bit hoping to see something that I could use to dispel arguments that he’s not very good. Didn’t see anything. Given time and space he can hit targets by foot no problems but as soon as he has to rush his kicking action lets him down
  • The ease with which Jetta kicks to someone >40m away is a thing of beauty
  • Kennedy also did most of the session
  • Kelly looks to be settling in well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha just a bad photo guys, some people have a natural pelvis tilt which can create a back arch pushing the stomach out. Trust

Indeed I can see the said mentioned back arch, I didn't realise that it was due the natural pelvic tilt.
I am now much better informed. ;)

Oh and I too have natural pelvic tilt.

images-16.jpg

Last edited:
Keys

I don't do Twitter, do you know if they update the training sessions anywhere else? I'm in Perth next Monday (20th) and was hoping to get to the session.

More importantly, what's the coffee at the venue like? Ain't got time for no shitty coffee while I'm watching a training session.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keys

I don't do Twitter, do you know if they update the training sessions anywhere else? I'm in Perth next Monday (20th) and was hoping to get to the session.

More importantly, what's the coffee at the venue like? Ain't got time for no shitty coffee while I'm watching a training session.

Laika cafe just nearby has great coffee.

Keys

That page when updated gives the next open training session but they’re not particularly efficient at giving much notice. So far they’ve only been doing open sessions on Wednesdays so on that basis I doubt Monday (20th) will be open

That said it’s a public oval so they can’t and don’t keep supporters out. If you go there about 9.00am on the Monday more than likely they’ll be training

That page when updated gives the next open training session but they’re not particularly efficient at giving much notice. So far they’ve only been doing open sessions on Wednesdays so on that basis I doubt Monday (20th) will be open

That said it’s a public oval so they can’t and don’t keep supporters out. If you go there about 9.00am on the Monday more than likely they’ll be training
Excellent! Thanks man.

Will head down and see how I go, if for no other reason than in the hope that I get heckled by Simmo about my 12+ year old merch.

Don't want to get you guys excited, but last time I had a chance to checkout preseason training was 2018. So, yeah.

The camera can be very harsh 😭
Not the most “flattering” photo of Nic, but I’m sure there could be photos taken of him at the same time from a different angle etc. which would be better. I’m no photographer though :p

I am just happy that he has been actually able to participate in the preseason, continuing to build on his conditioning and fitness base. With still another 6+ weeks of hard work ahead, I think he is in a great position to be ready for a full season.

To me, the reality is that Nic is a big man in all aspects. As much as we may want him to be “slimmer” it just may not be feasible. I don’t for one minute think the club or Nic himself are just going with the flow, doing whatever. He would no doubt be working to a tailored, specific plan. There are realities, the fact that he is nearly 30, has had two knee recons and various other injuries as well as the matter of genetics. He is Polynesian. They are naturally bigger built people. He simply may not be able to do the level of training he once could so it would be harder to slim down and maintain the weight that he was at for example ~5 years ago before the major injuries.

The idea that he is not committed etc is in my opinion, ridiculous and disappointing. This man has given his all for our club, been through hell and fought back now from wretched injuries. If he “didn’t care” then he would have walked away after he did his knee the second time or even at the end of last season when he was out of contact. He re-signed (at a substantially reduced price no doubt) and continues to show the game genuineness that he always has. I will back him and the club in to have a great season. Looking forward to it 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back