Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

What community facilities were people hoping to see at Lathlain? Something like what Fremantle have done in conjunction with the local council?

I just had a squizz back through the old plans from 2017 and it doesn't look as though they ever intended to offer much more than a cafe, shop and area to watch the teams train.

There is a big function room up on Level 2 but whether this can be hired or is purely for club events I'm not sure. The club seem to host their events at Crown.

It's pretty astounding just how much room is needed to run a club to the level that WCE operate. An office each for line meetings (3 of), a recruiting room, match committee room, sleep rooms, a drug testing room, strength and conditioning meeting room as well as office plus a medical office plus doctor and physio rooms. It's extensive.

There is basically one floor committed to the team and direct support staff and then another floor who run the day to day of the business such as the comms.

Whilst there's a small area for expansion it appears the space available has been quickly engulfed by running the team at its optimum. Curious to see how much difference this makes given we have been very successful whilst working from Subi in what I'm sure were redundant facilities.
Where did you get the plans??

I work in construction so I have a copy on file from when the project was out to tender.

care to share a copy. I’d love to see them.

Just had a look at the Architect. Interesting to see the have offices every where around the world but nothing in Perth. They also worked on the new NFL stadium in Vegas

Last edited:
Brander was partaking in some kicking drills and appeared to be moving pretty freely although might not have actually broken into a run at any point.

Whatever it is must be minor

Yeah, 5 or so years ago all I ever heard was that there would be a social club. Now it's built, nothing. Not even a public gym.

I live 800m from their facilities and have never been there, mainly because I don't think there would be anything for me to do (other than buy merchandise from the store).

They also promised better and more frequent content due to having larger and better facilities for their media team/content creators at Lathlain. So far we’ve been getting less than we we did based at Subi. And I thought they were having a club museum?

They also promised better and more frequent content due to having larger and better facilities for their media team/content creators at Lathlain. So far we’ve been getting less than we we did based at Subi. And I thought they were having a club museum?

I understand that the club has put out a request of this forum asking for certain posters to make themselves available as exhibits ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why I think people should write to the club. When Stocks was interviewed by the podcast a few years ago he said the new HQ was going to be more community focused. The club should be held accountable to that.

I would write to them but don’t live in WA so can’t say I’ve had to peer through the wire fence

Its a business first and foremost, trades on our devotion and loyalties, not unlike a church or a govnmnt, gives us flags and scarves to wave, songs to sing-we bleat like sheep and give them our money...for a sporting fantasy, we’re just minions! 🤣 but I love it!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another Wednesday another open session that I don’t have to watch through a fence

View attachment 812520
Have you tried going around to the gates on Bishopsgate St? The only issue with this is that you can't be on the 'private property' part of the facility, which is essentially the stadium fan viewing area. I hung around what looked like the ticketing building for WAFL games to the left of the gates (under the big HJs sign) and at one point was seated on the metal turnstiles in the shed to stay out of the sun. Plenty of workers there but didn't say anything to me. Security guard that asked me to leave the private property area saw me up there and didn't say anything. Only issue is you can't really see what's happening on the outer oval.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When I was there a couple of weeks ago I was pretty excited to be there, although on reflection I now think I was just seduced by being able to touch what looked like the real premiership cups on display out the front. Surely they're replicas.

I do remember thinking that it seemed very sparse. Was a bit disappointed with the items on display. Cafe was disappointing. The reason for the store being so small is that they just wouldn't have the volume of traffic that they would get from match days at Subi. So that's fair enough. Although I think the AFL store in Carousel had more novelty merchandise, the Lathlain store seemed to have more apparel. I did like the club champions 'wall' though. All in all, it just feels very understated and a bit meh. Not what I was expecting.

I wonder whether the 'community' aspect of it inivolves having the Wirra Foundation in the same building? Also, there appears to have been a bit of money spent on activating some of the space in the precinct surrounding it, including playgrounds, basketball hoop and BBQs etc. Not sure that its really a beacon to draw the community, but I daresay that wasn't what Nisbett and the club wanted.

The Bulldogs' redevelopment of Whitten Oval is a much better example of engaging the community with the club's facilities.

Well, we can't have our cake and our community too. Apparently.

At the end of the day, it's no local football club, it's a professional sports organisation. It pays it's dues in the form of royalties back to the WAFC and it's up to them to use those funds to promote the game. It's the council's responsibilty to activate the community.

For the Eagles, it's all about increasing their fan base, community space might pull at the heartstrings of a few who are able to use them, but what really increases the fan base is winning. And they've done plenty of that.

I'm ok with this. I wasn't disappointed that the place didn't have more of a community fell to it. I was a disappointed because the place didn't have a 'THIS IS THE MOTHERTRUCKING EAGLES HEADQUARETERS...THE GREATEST SPORTING TEAM IN THE LAND' feel about it. I wanted something more ostentatious, something that showed off more of our history and our story. Something that is pilgrimage worthy. It's isn't.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago I was pretty excited to be there, although on reflection I now think I was just seduced by being able to touch what looked like the real premiership cups on display out the front. Surely they're replicas.

I do remember thinking that it seemed very sparse. Was a bit disappointed with the items on display. Cafe was disappointing. The reason for the store being so small is that they just wouldn't have the volume of traffic that they would get from match days at Subi. So that's fair enough. Although I think the AFL store in Carousel had more novelty merchandise, the Lathlain store seemed to have more apparel. I did like the club champions 'wall' though. All in all, it just feels very understated and a bit meh. Not what I was expecting.

I wonder whether the 'community' aspect of it inivolves having the Wirra Foundation in the same building? Also, there appears to have been a bit of money spent on activating some of the space in the precinct surrounding it, including playgrounds, basketball hoop and BBQs etc. Not sure that its really a beacon to draw the community, but I daresay that wasn't what Nisbett and the club wanted.

The Bulldogs' redevelopment of Whitten Oval is a much better example of engaging the community with the club's facilities.

Agree the superstore was underwhelming, would have thought it would be bigger than Subi, and a similar size to man utds store

Agree the superstore was underwhelming, would have thought it would be bigger than Subi, and a similar size to man utds store
There's no point having a huge team store if it isn't seeing much traffic. Every time I've been in there (one of those times being during Finals) it's been dead empty.

The vast majority of sales would come from online purchases and that merch would come straight from the warehouse.

There's no point having a huge team store if it isn't seeing much traffic. Every time I've been in there (one of those times being during Finals) it's been dead empty.

The vast majority of sales would come from online purchases and that merch would come straight from the warehouse.
Agreed. It's where I buy most of my gear from cos the u underwhelming super store doesn't have it!!! Just call it team store!

These posts have really whetted my appetite for more discussions about inventory management, minimalist design theory and the nuanced local politics of playground maintenance - but, just as asides, did anyone go to the ****ing training and can we get a read out?

love,
bombard

These posts have really whetted my appetite for more discussions about inventory management, minimalist design theory and the nuanced local politics of playground maintenance - but, just as asides, did anyone go to the ******* training and can we get a read out?

love,
bombard
Gee bombard has some skills. His posting is like vanilla, pale as buggery.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back