Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

If Venables is forced to retire due to health reasons's, Is the club liable to make a compensation payment ? (Injured at work).
I would hope the club would be happy to set Venners up so he can move on. Go to Uni or whatever other dreams he has.

The AFL has an injury fund for players who retire due to injury for situations exactly like this one.

"Football-Ending Injury
Players who exit the game due to an injury that prevents them from playing football at senior level in any other competition again are eligible for a payment based on their age and the base value of the final year of their standard playing contract."

Given the size and reach of the club and it's influence, dare I say they could also help him pursue a career outside of football as well. I heard that the club helped set TB up with an Engineering internship at a firm that was connected to the club in some way.

It doesn't sound like they are particularly optimistic.

I think the club is uncertain what the future hold for DV. If they knew he wont play another game, I doubt they would string him along by keeping him on the list, so I guess he is still in with a chance.

The thing with concussions is they are vastly different from case to case and you just need to give the player time. Venable's was injured 9 months ago, that isnt long.

The club isnt stringing themselves or the player along, they are just taking the time needed. If at the end of this season his condition has not improved and stabalised then a retirement may occur.

Geez, you have to wonder what the sport did to players for decades before we knew about concussion.

Kid has had it rough... Hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

WOW ........ I didn't realise what a tough start to life he had, certainly has been dealt some shitty cards.

Thanks Capriati for posting that clip.

After watching the clip I have to admit I am now heavily biased I want the kid to get a second chance.... its a YES from me.

How well spoken is he ............ impressive.

Waterman and now possibly Venables. Say what you want about our recruitment but we've been a bit unlucky too. Plus that gun winger who I think reset the 2km time trial before hanging up the boots with a dodgy foot. In that scenario we at least knew he had a problem.

If Venners retires, which is seeming increasingly likely by the day, I don't think it's fair to have it impact the 'we should have drafted ____ over Venables' discussion.

Someone getting a random head knock and having to hang them up at 21 can't factor into your decision to draft them.

Venables had (has) a lot of potential but if he's cut down by a serious injury then that's just one of the unfortunate realities of football, but it's not on the list management team.

If he does have to retire he’ll at least be able to look back on his premiership medal, which is something the vast majority of players never attain.

What if every club wants to play 1

Apparently the rules have been relaxed because clubs are broadly in support of the game and aren’t going to stand in the way of their players who are selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOW ........ I didn't realise what a tough start to life he had, certainly has been dealt some shitty cards.

Thanks Capriati for posting that clip.

After watching the clip I have to admit I am now heavily biased I want the kid to get a second chance.... its a YES from me.

How well spoken is he ............ impressive.

Agreed. It’d be terrific if he gets a second chance after being squeezed out at Geelong. They do have a number of small forwards that would have kept him out of the team and list spots were very tight there according to Wells - so much so they weren’t sure if there was a spot available for a multiple club B&F winner

Sounds like he is good at applying forward pressure so that would fit our game style. Also like that he’s a left footer as our other small forwards are all right foot kicks

Geez, you have to wonder what the sport did to players for decades before we knew about concussion.

Tried to find a link to a story re John Platten after getting a concussion (think during 89 gf) packed his bags and went to leave the ground thinking the game was finished
It wasn’t
Couldn’t find that particular story, but did come across this re the 89 gf

Paul Couch and Garry Hocking were garbos who would run upwards of 10km on concrete the Friday before a game. On the Sunday following the preliminary final, key forwards Billy Brownless and Barry Stoneham arrived home at daylight on the back of a garbage truck. Before the game, coach Malcolm Blight was chain smoking in the rooms.
Their rooms at half-time must have been something to behold. Brereton was urinating blood. Dipper’s lung was leaking. John Platten was speaking sideways.

And finishes with this -
It was the last and possibly the best of the VFL grand finals. But footy didn’t necessarily change that day. The sport took a decidedly different trajectory a couple of years later with the emergence of the West Coast Eagles. They were total professionals – unknowable, muscled-up assassins from across the Nullarbor. They eschewed all-out attack, played through quarterbacks and chipped the ball down the line. :thumbsupemoji:

Tried to find a link to a story re John Platten after getting a concussion (think during 89 gf) packed his bags and went to leave the ground thinking the game was finished
It wasn’t

Paul Couch and Garry Hocking were garbos who would run upwards of 10km on concrete the Friday before a game. On the Sunday following the preliminary final, key forwards Billy Brownless and Barry Stoneham arrived home at daylight on the back of a garbage truck. Before the game, coach Malcolm Blight was chain smoking in the rooms.
Their rooms at half-time must have been something to behold. Brereton was urinating blood. Dipper’s lung was leaking. John Platten was speaking sideways.

And finishes with this -
It was the last and possibly the best of the VFL grand finals. But footy didn’t necessarily change that day. The sport took a decidedly different trajectory a couple of years later with the emergence of the West Coast Eagles. They were total professionals – unknowable, muscled-up assassins from across the Nullarbor. They eschewed all-out attack, played through quarterbacks and chipped the ball down the line. :thumbsupemoji:

I normally open your links with a healthy dose of trepidation but this was a good one. Very good read

It wasn’t

And finishes with this -
Excellent read. Thank you. Gets me all sentimental.

This was the game that got me hooked. I followed the footy a bit indifferently before this game. Yes, the Eagles were my team, I watched games here and there. Watched a few WAFL games too. But having arrived in the country a few years ago, I struggled to compete in the school yard against more skilful and bigger lads so stuck to what I knew, cricket. I didn't really get invested until this game.

Watched it with some mates and I was blown away. The skill, the uncompromising toughness, the sheer thrill of it all. I fell in love twice that day. Once with the girl I'd popped my cherry earlier that morning with and then with this beautiful game. One of them has lasted the test of time.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it normal for the boys to be on the beers this late into the pre-season? I've seen a few insta posts/stories from NicNat where he or the boys seem to be on the cans. Nothing silly, but I was under the impression the lads are all business this time of the year.

On CPH1707 using BigFooty.com mobile app
They have beers during the season so not sure its a big deal now.

I reckon Venables was concussed prior to the huge hit he took. The way he just wandered into the ruck contest just seems too odd for a bloke who has been playing footy all his life. What was he trying to do?

I haven’t considered that ie ; a double concussion but makes better sense for that to have happened , if he’s still 9 months later suffering from the concussion effects ..
The Melb game was quite physical from memory ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Venables was concussed prior to the huge hit he took. The way he just wandered into the ruck contest just seems too odd for a bloke who has been playing footy all his life. What was he trying to do?

I went back and watched the game after I read this and I think you might be right.

There is a moment about 5 minutes before the collision where he gets taken to ground inside our forward 50. He does a few weird things after that at a few of the subsequent stoppages and then shortly after he flies and gets taken out.

Last edited:
I went back and watched the game after I read this and I think you might be right.

There is a moment about 5 minutes before the collision where he gets taken to ground inside our forward 50. He does a few weird things after that at a few of the subsequent stoppages and then shortly after he flies and gets taken out.

Surprised no one at Wce picked this up at the time and checked DV out ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back