Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love Nelson to break into the side as a tagger but even with aggro, he is physically weak to go with the bigger bodied mids.

Probably can’t play it as well as Hutch in terms of shutting someone completely out of a game but more from the point of view, do we actually need a shut down player now?

Theoretically we should be destroying teams in the middle and they should be trying to stop us. We shouldn’t need to worry about a tag if we’re winning all the ball out of the middle, theoretically. So a couple of players who can run with someone is potentially all we need, Yeo and Redden are capable if we’re struggling to contain someone, with the added bonus of having all guns blazing on attack.

Don’t think we really had a dedicated tagger when Cousins, Judd and Kerr were around, maybe Selwood or Stenglein if we’re stretching, but they definitely offered a lot more than that and weren’t selected solely to do that job. Just think we need to take the opportunity to be a little more dynamic now that it’s a position of strength and try to limit the one dimensional players.
Selwood and stenglien were both taggers. Stenglein was brought in to specifically play that defensive role

f781a333ba3607b3b024a414500e96b6.jpg
FE559555-7A94-4F8E-A708-0638F2EEB41E.png

Cousins, Kerr, and Judd were all better players then any midfielder we have now, even Kelly. Cousins and Judd externally were considered the best midfielders in the game at the time, and internally many considered Kerr better then the other 2. They also had Big Cox tapping it down their throats much more reliably then Nic Nat.

In the coming season, there is a very real possibility that we will be facing Richmond in the finals. I would be wanting to tag the Dustpan very closely.
I agree Kerr was more damaging that the other two -

Cousins, Kerr, and Judd were all better players then any midfielder we have now, even Kelly. Cousins and Judd externally were considered the best midfielders in the game at the time, and internally many considered Kerr better then the other 2. They also had Big Cox tapping it down their throats much more reliably then Nic Nat.

In the coming season, there is a very real possibility that we will be facing Richmond in the finals. I would be wanting to tag the Dustpan very closely.

Enter Angry Yeo!

Would rather Yeo play all out attack.

Feel like he can take that part of his game and impact to that next level to be a superstar of the game. Entering his prime now.

It has to be horses for courses though.

Asking Hutch to tag Dusty or Fyfe is setting him up to fail (as would be asking Yeo to tag Sidebottom).

Yeo has to take a Dusty or Fyfe due to the physicality (he can match/beat them and has done so).

Not saying I want Yeo tagging all or even most of the time - but he can be the tagger for those types (then the question becomes do we need/want Hutch in the side to tag other types, generally outside or hbf players).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally i think now is the time for Yeo to really stamp himself on the competition, if he hasn't already 👑

The stage is set for him with the addition of Kelly. He's at the prime age bracket, coming off his 2nd All Australian jacket, and emerging as a leader.

It's well known now that he's a great defensive player and can mix it with the games best by nullifying superstars when called upon, whilst also impacting the game.

But he's got all the tools to be an absolute superstar, and it would be a waste of his talents to constantly use him in mitigating roles.

You don't see Fyfe, Dangerspud, Martin, Cripps, or Bont nullifying anyone else. They just play their game and go head to head with someone if they have to.

Yeo is just as good these guys when he's on song. I think it's time the club pushed him into realizing this himself so he can go to another level.

Basically, campaigners are going to campaign.

1583977083756.png

Personally i think now is the time for Yeo to really stamp himself on the competition, if he hasn't already 👑

The stage is set for him with the addition of Kelly. He's at the prime age bracket, coming off his 2nd All Australian jacket, and emerging as a leader.

It's well known now that he's a great defensive player and can mix it with the games best by nullifying superstars when called upon, whilst also impacting the game.

But he's got all the tools to be an absolute superstar, and it would be a waste of his talents to constantly use him in mitigating roles.

You don't see Fyfe, Dangerspud, Martin, Cripps, or Bont nullifying anyone else. They just play their game and go head to head with someone if they have to.

Yeo is just as good these guys when he's on song. I think it's time the club pushed him into realizing this himself so he can go to another level.

Basically, campaigners are going to campaign.

View attachment 838008
To be fair but most people would say that most of those listed above (especially Fyfe) are liabilities defensively, what I like about Yeo so much is that he is a 2 way player, and when he does start on one of those highly rated players he tends to beat them at the content and get his own ball anyway. I like that Yeo is at least responsible defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019/20 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back