2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

So how did Joffra "Aka Wasim, Aka Curtley, Aka Dale" Archer end up bowling?

It appears to me on the vision it looks like he was bowling around the same pace as Cummins.

Seems the Pom's are just getting their rocks off about a guy finally bowling 140kph.

I don't think he poses as any sort of kryptonite to Smith on this pitch.
Hey don’t be smart... don’t you realise we are witnessing one of the all time greats in his first test?

Paine has averaged 35 and kept pretty well since his return. But yesterday standing back to the quicks his footwork was as poor as I can remember from an Australian keeper. That type of wicket is a good examination of where a keeper is really at. The ball was not consistently coming through at the easy height around the hips.

First, his dropped catch of Burns - should've been naturally moving the way of the catch and staying low but was standing up early and had to go back down and went one handed.

Then the two nicks that dropped short of Warner at first slip. Both times Paine again extended up too early and barely moved to his right.

This followed on from him getting wrong footed at Edgbaston. The good news is he's keeping well to Lyon still.

Because Khawaja's average as an opener is vastly superior than his average at 3.

Granted, it's a smaller sample size, but if you think about it, it makes sense. He doesn't mind the moving ball, and he's putrid against turn of any kind.

He made a ton as an opener and that massively inflates his average. Versus starting his career as a #3, which is honestly tough for anyone, which deflates his average.

Since returning to the team in 2015 he averages 47.3.

He made a ton as an opener and that massively inflates his average. Versus starting his career as a #3, which is honestly tough for anyone, which deflates his average.

Since returning to the team in 2015 he averages 47.3.
He's made 2 tons, 2 fifties as an opener, and averages in the 90's.

I get that it's a small sample size, but his average at 3 is as inflated as Warners is by home wickets not giving anything to side spinners. Why not open with him, exploit his profligacy against pace and get his eye in before they bring a spinner on?

I get that people want a settled lineup, but it just seems wasteful to me to keep trying newcomers when the current no. 3 isn't completely entrenched, and can serve potentially better higher in the order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop being such idiots about Warner. All this clamouring for him to be dropped is completely ridiculous. He's earned the right to fail a few times. He'll come good.
No one earns that right. He also lost anything he ever had when he blatantly cheated and shamed the country.

I get that it's a small sample size, but his average at 3 is as inflated as Warners is by home wickets not giving anything to side spinners. Why not open with him, exploit his profligacy against pace and get his eye in before they bring a spinner on?

I get that people want a settled lineup, but it just seems wasteful to me to keep trying newcomers when the current no. 3 isn't completely entrenched, and can serve potentially better higher in the order.

Now I think he is too much of a shot maker to do that. Which is great for #3 but not so much for opening.

You could argue his opening numbers are inflated by home games / Pakistan games /both.

Also I don’t want to move Smith so adding another middle order player would be to replace Khawaja at 3 which is a rough gig.

Paine has averaged 35 and kept pretty well since his return. But yesterday standing back to the quicks his footwork was as poor as I can remember from an Australian keeper. That type of wicket is a good examination of where a keeper is really at. The ball was not consistently coming through at the easy height around the hips.

First, his dropped catch of Burns - should've been naturally moving the way of the catch and staying low but was standing up early and had to go back down and went one handed.

Then the two nicks that dropped short of Warner at first slip. Both times Paine again extended up too early and barely moved to his right.

This followed on from him getting wrong footed at Edgbaston. The good news is he's keeping well to Lyon still.

Has been awful to the quicks all series (so far) and lessor keeps would have already been lynched by now for a similar performance.

Have just seen the replay of the Warner wicket. Was expecting it to be an absolute jaffa judging by some posts saying he got a good’n and should be persevered with.

Right armer bowling round the wicket gets one to go on with the angle. Yeah not really a peach. If Broad bowled him an off cutter that pitched middle and leg then hit the top of off I’d call that a peach but Warner should have kept that slight nip backer out.

Harris in for the next Test for mine.

Stop being such idiots about Warner. All this clamouring for him to be dropped is completely ridiculous. He's earned the right to fail a few times. He'll come good.

Mate he's ****ed overseas.

How many chances do you want to give him?
He's not Mark Taylor where his value to the team was an outstanding captain and he has a superstar team that could Cary 10 test failures.

**** this crab off

You want the guy with the slowest reflexes in the world to open?

Sounds good

If Smith doesn't get runs, can't wait for how fast you lot turn on him.
Forget footy, Australian cricket has the biggest bandwagoner fans!
Warner isn’t Smith. He consistently fails when the pitch isn’t an Australian highway, Smith consistently steps up and makes runs in the tough conditions when his teammates are crumbling around him.
Smith has credits in the bank, Warner doesn’t.

Have just seen the replay of the Warner wicket. Was expecting it to be an absolute jaffa judging by some posts saying he got a good’n and should be persevered with.

Right armer bowling round the wicket gets one to go on with the angle. Yeah not really a peach. If Broad bowled him an off cutter that pitched middle and leg then hit the top of off I’d call that a peach but Warner should have kept that slight nip backer out.

Harris in for the next Test for mine.
I mean yeah it's angling in, but it didn't really move a lot and he left a gap the size of the empty space in his head between bat and pad

You could've just said you've never seen Warner bat outside of Australia.
He has for pretty much the entirety of his international career been absolutely useless on any wicket doing anything.
If he isn't batting on a road he is a complete liability in the batting line up

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back