2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The likely explanation for that is the loss of a day (and likely more time over the course of the test) meant that the best path to victory (for either side) was by quickly and cheaply bowling out the other side in the 3rd innings of the match, meaning that a 4th innings wasn't need, or would be very short. It didn't lead to victory as Australia didn't perform well enough with the bat in their 1st innings to put much scoreboard pressure on England going into their 2nd innings, and England's lower order (Stokes, Butler and Bairstow) performed well and prevented a low score, but the flip side to that is Australia only had to face 45 odd overs to save the match. England faced a couple more overs than Australia on the same day 5 wicket for the loss of only one wicket.

It's an unusual piece of captaincy from Paine in that it was entirely logical

Nothing unusual just luck because England were probably with two hours of bowling Australia out in their second innings. We were six down with Head and Cummins at the crease. Two hours less rain and Australia could well have lost and tim Paine had no way of knowing that when the match started. Paine's call was a lot closer than you might think.

The converse to your argument is that had Australia batted first we may well have won the match.

Think 9/10 times 400 is going to be too much but i’d still want us to get at least 350+ in the chase.

Someone other that Smith/Lab needs to stick their ****ing hand up and say I want a spot for this summer.

Someone other than those 2 needs to get an 80+ score for us to be any chance. And even then Smith/Lab will probably need to get half of the runs on their lonesome.

I think the male/female host combo at the ground and the studio works very well.

Not sure what it is but Mel Jones seems to have made Heals less annoying. He seems to have taken it down a couple of notches .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back