2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation on our board is the AFL mucking around with the tiers may have effected this. A lot logged on more low priced tier tickets, and logged off when they saw how far back they were (compared to previous years)

Imo most will end up buying, but it may be a reason for hold outs delaying their purchase
Could you buy more than one ticket per membership in 2017?

Trying to imagine the level of insecurity needed to post that.

The evidence for the drop off in excitement is that tickets aren’t selling as well as for 2 years ago, despite increased membership and crowds during the intervening H & A seasons.

What’s the reason in your head for why Richmond supporters have bought so many less tickets this time around?

Asking this question isn’t a slight on Richmond, and I think the number of Richmond posters who've liked the post you've quoted and/or commented sensibly on it bears that out. I've been at pains to point out that the crowd is still going to be huge on Friday and that the 2017 PF is also a huge base point to measure from, but the fact remains that demand is a lot less this year.
And no insecurity on your part to make your original post or this one? 😂 😂 😂

BTW, how's your game tracking? Benchmark set in 2017 was over 94K....good luck! 😉

Pretty much like I said a few days ago,

Week 3 is always a much more difficult sell for AFL members due to the price hikes.

It basically flushes out all the neutrals that attend in weeks 1 and 2...

It's been like this (unless you have an extremely marketable Preliminary Final like Rich v Coll last year) for at least a decade

And no insecurity on your part to make your original post or this one? 😂 😂 😂

BTW, how's your game tracking? Benchmark set in 2017 was over 94K....good luck! 😉

Another one who either didn’t read the post correctly or had trouble understanding it. It’s not really about Richmond, it’s about the effect generated when a team is genuinely contending for the first time after a prolonged drought. If Melbourne were back this year and displaying a similar decrease from their outstanding 2018 figures I would have used them as an example, but they are not. We don't have a base to measure Collingwood's increase or decrease this year because of the number of people who tried to get tickets last year but couldn't because of capacity constraints. Richmond are the only team currently I can try to measure for this effect.

Collingwood was only ever mentioned to acknowledge we’d also benefited in the past from the same effect, in a vain attempt to try and have people engage in the actual argument being made and not invent a different one. Didn’t work unfortunately.

looks like richmond supporters have jumped off a cliff but amazingly pies fans have been incredibly loyal

Am I doing this right?

My last go at getting either of you to engage with the question actually being asked:

If: no Geelong tickets at all had been sold, would you still expect 94k to show up, as in 2017?

If your answer is yes: please explain why it is that tickets are still available for this week, given that 2017 sold out in a day and that 2019 sales also contain at least 20k more tickets sold to opposition fans than 2017. I am genuinely interested to hear if someone has a compelling reason for this.

If your answer is no: please explain why there has been a decrease in demand from the 2017 PF.

We know Richmond's popularity by all other measures has gone way up, so that's not the answer. My theory is that when clubs first genuinely contend after a long drought there is an extra layer of buzz, excitement, interest etc that drives supporters who don't normally buy tickets to do so. Do you agree with this in principle or not? It's ok to not agree, it's just a theory. Just explain why you think it's wrong.

Saying there has been a decrease in demand does not equal having a pop at Richmond. The 2017 PF is an extremely high water mark. If I noted that a full forward had kicked 150 goals two years ago but this year had only kicked 130, and that maybe it was because the centre half forward had kicked a lot more himself this season, would you claim I was saying that the full forward was no good?

I'll say it again for the hard of hearing at the back, I expect Friday night to be in the low 90s which would be fantastic, and will continue Richmond's great finals run. This is A Good Thing. I reckon if I was in any way concerned about Richmond's finals crowds being too high I would probably stop buying tickets to them. I think I've seen every Richmond final in Melbourne in the last 36 years.

Only general public tickets left for Friday night are Standing Room and the back 4 rows in Q25-Q28 which have been opened to the public.

Collingwood match still has heeeeaps left for general public.

Another one who either didn’t read the post correctly or had trouble understanding it. It’s not really about Richmond, it’s about the effect generated when a team is genuinely contending for the first time after a prolonged drought. If Melbourne were back this year and displaying a similar decrease from their outstanding 2018 figures I would have used them as an example, but they are not. We don't have a base to measure Collingwood's increase or decrease this year because of the number of people who tried to get tickets last year but couldn't because of capacity constraints. Richmond are the only team currently I can try to measure for this effect.

Collingwood was only ever mentioned to acknowledge we’d also benefited in the past from the same effect, in a vain attempt to try and have people engage in the actual argument being made and not invent a different one. Didn’t work unfortunately.

My last go at getting either of you to engage with the question actually being asked:

If: no Geelong tickets at all had been sold, would you still expect 94k to show up, as in 2017?

If your answer is yes: please explain why it is that tickets are still available for this week, given that 2017 sold out in a day and that 2019 sales also contain at least 20k more tickets sold to opposition fans than 2017. I am genuinely interested to hear if someone has a compelling reason for this.

If your answer is no: please explain why there has been a decrease in demand from the 2017 PF.

We know Richmond's popularity by all other measures has gone way up, so that's not the answer. My theory is that when clubs first genuinely contend after a long drought there is an extra layer of buzz, excitement, interest etc that drives supporters who don't normally buy tickets to do so. Do you agree with this in principle or not? It's ok to not agree, it's just a theory. Just explain why you think it's wrong.

Saying there has been a decrease in demand does not equal having a pop at Richmond. The 2017 PF is an extremely high water mark. If I noted that a full forward had kicked 150 goals two years ago but this year had only kicked 130, and that maybe it was because the centre half forward had kicked a lot more himself this season, would you claim I was saying that the full forward was no good?

I'll say it again for the hard of hearing at the back, I expect Friday night to be in the low 90s which would be fantastic, and will continue Richmond's great finals run. This is A Good Thing. I reckon if I was in any way concerned about Richmond's finals crowds being too high I would probably stop buying tickets to them. I think I've seen every Richmond final in Melbourne in the last 36 years.

Clearly there is a logical rational in your argument.

Being on top for a while would in any normal circumstances have the effect you describe.

The thing is though, speed of selling tickets, who they are selling to ect is really not a reliable measure of anything in my view, or at the very least it pales into insignificance in comparison to actually how many people turn up to games.

Wait for the roar on Friday night. Who do you reckon these fans go for ?

And on this point, I am yet to read your admission that on these metrics, the only ones that matter, Richmond stands on it own above all other clubs yes, including Collingwood

I just find it extremely convenient that on the 1 hand you acknowledge that our prelim final in 2017 was unbelievable, but on the other hand you admit that the pies, playing the same opponent on the same venue, on the same day, the same time slot, and also in a prelim wont get within 15k of that crowd.

But, at the same time, you and the rest of the posters here who are in denial, use mental gymnastics, and their imaginations and feelings to explain away this discrpancy, and the rest of the 90k crowds Richmond pulls, plus the records it has set against Brisbane both at home and away, and come away with the conclusion that Collingwood has the biggest crowds.

It doesn’t make any sense. Can’t you see that?

Only general public tickets left for Friday night are Standing Room and the back 4 rows in Q25-Q28 which have been opened to the public.

Collingwood match still has heeeeaps left for general public.

This is incorrect, not open to the public for Rich V Cats. I received this email a few hours back.

General Admission Areas
Scan-in Access for Gold AFL Members Only

Level 4

Q25 - Q27 Rows U-DD

GA Wheelchair Access
NA

Please Note: All AFL Reserve General Admission areas are accurate as of Thursday. General Admission Bays may be changed on the game day without notice.

Being on top for a while would in any normal circumstances have the effect you describe.

The thing is though, speed of selling tickets, who they are selling to ect is really not a reliable measure of anything in my view, or at the very least it pales into insignificance in comparison to actually how many people turn up to games.

And on this point, I am yet to read your admission that on these metrics, the only ones that matter, Richmond stands on it own above all other clubs yes, including Collingwood

I just find it extremely convenient that on the 1 hand you acknowledge that our prelim final in 2017 was unbelievable, but on the other hand you admit that the pies, playing the same opponent on the same venue, on the same day, the same time slot, and also in a prelim wont get within 15k of that crowd.

But, at the same time, you and the rest of the posters here who are in denial, use mental gymnastics, and their imaginations and feelings to explain away this discrpancy, and the rest of the 90k crowds Richmond pulls, plus the records it has set against Brisbane both at home and away, and come away with the conclusion that Collingwood has the biggest crowds.

A mirror would be handy at this point.

This is incorrect, not open to the public for Rich V Cats. I received this email a few hours back.

General Admission Areas
Scan-in Access for Gold AFL Members Only

Level 4

Q25 - Q27 Rows U-DD

GA Wheelchair Access
NA

Please Note: All AFL Reserve General Admission areas are accurate as of Thursday. General Admission Bays may be changed on the game day without notice.
Just did a ticketek search and got row bb q26

Just did a ticketek search and got row bb q26

Wow, k didn't know that. All i read was Scan-in Access for Gold AFL Members Only
But i just checked on Ticketek and for a test buy got Q25 BB, AFL has added cat 6 AFL members 'back rows' to the public reserve for purchase. It's not a lot of seats but I guess if the AFL can get $90 a seat for these tklts they would rather that than say 'free entry scan in access' from AFL members.

Level 4
Q25 - Q27 Rows U-DD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw this on AFL FANS Association on Facebook. Some pies fans are quite upset due to the discounting of tickets. This is quite bizarre that prices are being heavily discounted to increase the crowd numbers. Its an insult to those who have paid top dollar. If they want to discount ticket prices then if you have a valid full-priced ticket you should be refunded the difference, yeah i know fat chance that happening but this is not right.

Has anyone else noticed reduced prices for the Collingwood-GWS game? We've received this from a Collingwood member who purchased tickets when they went on sale on Tuesday:
"I'm a mad Pies member of almost 20 years along with a few mates... we purchased 6 tickets for our prelim in category 6 top deck of southern at $90 each which I think is bloody steep. Anyway I just had a look at Ticketek again and now you can but category 4 seats at bloody $65 each!! obviously ticket sales not going as well as expected so they've dropped prices?? Bloody spewing that us members pay top dollar for tickets on Tuesday but now you can buy better seats cheaper!!"
We just checked and Category 6 is exhausted but category 5 is $65 (was $112), category 4 is $65 (was $128). Categories 1-3 appear unchanged.

I saw this on AFL FANS Association on Facebook. Some pies fans are quite upset due to the discounting of tickets. This is quite bizarre that prices are being heavily discounted to increase the crowd numbers. Its an insult to those who have paid top dollar. If they want to discount ticket prices then if you have a valid full-priced ticket you should be refunded the difference, yeah i know fat chance that happening but this is not right.

Has anyone else noticed reduced prices for the Collingwood-GWS game? We've received this from a Collingwood member who purchased tickets when they went on sale on Tuesday:
"I'm a mad Pies member of almost 20 years along with a few mates... we purchased 6 tickets for our prelim in category 6 top deck of southern at $90 each which I think is bloody steep. Anyway I just had a look at Ticketek again and now you can but category 4 seats at bloody $65 each!! obviously ticket sales not going as well as expected so they've dropped prices?? Bloody spewing that us members pay top dollar for tickets on Tuesday but now you can buy better seats cheaper!!"
We just checked and Category 6 is exhausted but category 5 is $65 (was $112), category 4 is $65 (was $128). Categories 1-3 appear unchanged.

be insulted all they want, but the fact is this is how many industries work, not just the AFL.

Collingwood does draw the biggest crowds always has. Why do you think Collingwood are 9,364,000 ahead of Richmond for total home and away attendance’s dating back since 1921 and Richmond have had the advantage of playing all home games at the mcg since 1965.

Plus home away away attendance’s this year has Collingwood in first place

00D9566C-9D9E-4AA3-A1BB-7196F3128FF4.jpeg

Thank you for engaging with the argument somewhat this time. You still seem to be either wildly misinterpreting my opinions or simply imposing your own topics onto a post that had nothing to do with them but this nevertheless feels like progress.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the speed of selling issue for finals as in my view that indicates a level of additional demand that is unable to be supplied and hence elevates those games above those that only just make it to the sell out stage.

For example, there is some chance that tomorrow night could exceed the crowd for the Rich/Coll PF last year, but I'm not sure any sane person would think that there was a higher level of demand for this year than last. The rate of selling this year pretty much indicates that the number who show up tomorrow night is the total number who were willing and able to go, whereas last year could have sold tens of thousands more.

Not sure of the relevance here, I've only ever asserted that there will be around 20k Geelong fans, which means you'll have a huge advantage. Doesn't change my original assertion which, to remind you again, was simply that even though still very strong numbers, Richmond supporters displayed a lower level of demand for tickets this year than their peak in 2017.

If you're referring to recent finals crowds, then yes, Richmond have been the clear leader in this regard. Nothing to do with any of my posts, which is probably why I didn't explicitly state that in them.

I can't change your feelings in relation to my argument. I've laid it out, and if you don't think it's right on the basis that you think it's convenient, then that's that.

This argument is for the off season. For now all I'll do is paraphrase your own comment: "The only metric that matters is how many people turn up to games." Try following the money on that once the season is over.

I reckon we've pretty much put this to bed for the moment, yeah? Let's enjoy what could be a pretty amazing week or so for one or the both of us.

Not within 3 days. I don't recall this happening in the AFL before especially within 3 days.
Happened to me at gabba last week. Paid $65 on tuesday was $35 on Thursday. But i showed them - after first qtr i moved closer to wing to an empty seat which was $95 on tuesday

Thank you for engaging with the argument somewhat this time. You still seem to be either wildly misinterpreting my opinions or simply imposing your own topics onto a post that had nothing to do with them but this nevertheless feels like progress.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the speed of selling issue for finals as in my view that indicates a level of additional demand that is unable to be supplied and hence elevates those games above those that only just make it to the sell out stage.

For example, there is some chance that tomorrow night could exceed the crowd for the Rich/Coll PF last year, but I'm not sure any sane person would think that there was a higher level of demand for this year than last. The rate of selling this year pretty much indicates that the number who show up tomorrow night is the total number who were willing and able to go, whereas last year could have sold tens of thousands more.

Not sure of the relevance here, I've only ever asserted that there will be around 20k Geelong fans, which means you'll have a huge advantage. Doesn't change my original assertion which, to remind you again, was simply that even though still very strong numbers, Richmond supporters displayed a lower level of demand for tickets this year than their peak in 2017.

If you're referring to recent finals crowds, then yes, Richmond have been the clear leader in this regard. Nothing to do with any of my posts, which is probably why I didn't explicitly state that in them.

I can't change your feelings in relation to my argument. I've laid it out, and if you don't think it's right on the basis that you think it's convenient, then that's that.

This argument is for the off season. For now all I'll do is paraphrase your own comment: "The only metric that matters is how many people turn up to games." Try following the money on that once the season is over.

I reckon we've pretty much put this to bed for the moment, yeah? Let's enjoy what could be a pretty amazing week or so for one or the both of us.

All good mate

I guess if we use the presumption that I think you are saying, that tickets to finals are a bit more accessible these days, IE they are sold to the public ect , well then if that the case then the 2015 Richmond Elimination final v Nth Melbourne on a sunday of 90,000 is even more incredible . If this was now it would be franked up, right?

And the Richmond v Carlton elimination final crowd in 2014, of almost 95,000 would have got more too right?

It just goes on forever and it is serves no purpose

Just one final point on the matter and then I will let this go as well.

It just feels as if you have a cognitive bias that you take through on all your comments and insights on crowds.

You have a confirmation bias which is

Collingwood is the biggest club.

So all facts and figures and info must be explained away back to this confirmation bias . The fact that Richmond has had the biggest home crowds for 4 of the last 5 years , or that our finals crowds are clearly number 1, means this has to be explained and deflected back to your original long standing bias .

Everyone has biases, but this one has been wrong for 5 years.

This is the thing that is frustrating to follow, because you, and other posters in my view, start from that position and work back.

Having said all that it is great that you have actually acknowledged the fact that Richmond is clearly number 1 on finals crowds, this is progress.

Now all we need is for you to accept that it is also number 1 on home games, hopefully that comes soon.

In any case I agree, lets just enjoy the footy and hopefully set some more crowd records tonight.

The MCG will be absolutely heaving tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back