2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool, so we are not an Aussie Rules heartland then. Can we get an AFL team now...

You know, if this match was north of the Barassi Line, you would have said it was an outstanding attendance because the NRL only got x amount of people. You do like having a dig at attendances south of the Barassi line and not just in Tassie. unrealistic most of the times.

I ask you this. Would you have gone to the match today if you were in Hobart? I, personally, spent that $30 ticket price at Dark Mofo today. That money actually stays in the local economy as well unlike the fly in, fly out Melbourne Club
Nope, any crowd below 10k is subpar. Doesn't matter if it's the 7,832 in Hobart or the 7,243 in Townsville That said, given that more people live in Hobart than Townsville, and Tasmanians are a helluva lot more interested in AFL than Queenslanders, the Hobart crowd was especially disappointing.

Essendon V Hawthorn TV Viewership:

FTA

Melbourne: 355,000
Adelaide: 87,000
Perth: 79,000
Sydney: 19,000
Brisbane: 18,000

Regional: 184,000

Fox Footy: 202,000

Total: 943,000
If we look at these figures in the cold light of day the facts are the combined populations of Sydney and Brisbane is about 7 million and the combined total for FTA was 37,000 viewers which is less than half of the Adelaide viewers which has a population of 1.300 million. Surely food for thought.

If we look at these figures in the cold light of day the facts are the combined populations of Sydney and Brisbane is about 7 million and the combined total for FTA was 37,000 viewers which is less than half of the Adelaide viewers which has a population of 1.300 million. Surely food for thought.
There is a lot of scope for increasing audience size in Sydney and Brisbane. Moving to 7HD from 7Mate would be a good start.

Nope, any crowd below 10k is subpar. Doesn't matter if it's the 7,832 in Hobart or the 7,243 in Townsville That said, given that more people live in Hobart than Townsville, and Tasmanians are a helluva lot more interested in AFL than Queenslanders, the Hobart crowd was especially disappointing.

of the 4(!!!!) trips GWS have made to Hobart, they have only once got past 10K and that was in 2012. the first game at Blundstone; No other team has gotten lower than 10K at Hobart. They are also the lowest attending team up in Launny.

As every Tasmanian on this forum has said, No one wants to watch GWS. And the "home" team is not really a home team. I am sure North are building a strong base of support, ala Hawks, in Hobart but they are coming from a very long run-up compared to Hawthorns position.

This attendance was always going to fall in this range. Anyone who thought otherwise is deluded. Anyone who thinks we should have got better hasn't answered my question. Would you spend $30 to sit on the hill to watch North v GWS, especially if you didn't support either team? Not many hawks/afl fans wanted to watch their actual team play GWS in Melbourne on mothers day. I think it is a bit condescending for mainlanders to say we should lap up every game of AFL when we get 8 of them this year.

Last edited:
Unpublished ratings

Suns/Saints - 20,000 on 7 Brisbane
Dockers/Power - 116,000 on 7 Adelaide, 127,000 on 7 Perth
Roos/Giants - 35,000 on 7mate Sydney

SANFL (Sat) - 16,000 on 7 Adel
SANFL (Sun) - 37,000 on 7 Adel
VFL (Sun) - 33,000 on 7 Melb
WAFL (Sun) - 28,000 on 7 Per

Average Home Attendence v Interstate teams:

1. West Coast: Total: 256,129: Ave: 51,225 from 5 games
2. Collingwood: Total: 140,211: Ave: 46,737 from 3 games
3. Adelaide: Total: 303,218: Ave: 43,317 from 7 games
4. Richmond: Total: 40,053: Ave: 40,053 from 1 game

5. Fremantle: Total: 238,467: Ave: 39,744 from 6 games
6. Essendon: Total: 35,750: Ave: 38,732 from 3 games
7. Carlton: Total: 71,501: Ave: 35,750 from 2 games
8. Port Adelaide: Total: 142,644: Ave: 35,661 from 3 games
9. Sydney: Total: 157,035: Ave: 31,407 from 5 games

10. Geelong: Total: 85,886: Ave: 28,628 from 3 games
11. Brisbane: Total: 139,535: Ave: 23,256 from 6 games
12. Melbourne: Total: 69,523: Ave: 23,174 from 3 games *
13. Western Bulldogs: Total: 63,841: Ave: 21,280 from 3 games *
14. St.Kilda: Total: 82,353: Ave: 20,588 from 4 games *

15. North Melbourne: Total: 60,938: Ave: 15,234 from 4 games *
16. Hawthorn: Total: 26,273: Ave: 13,136 from 2 games *
17. GWS: Total: 69,211: Ave: 11,535 from 6 games *
18. Gold Coast: Total: 63,752: Ave: 10,625 from 6 games *

* Includes Games they have sold to other venues.

By my quick calcs

Sydney (on 7 mate) has averaged ~32K on thursday and Friday nights and brisbane ~25K

Given Sydney and Brisbane has relatively higher shares of fox viewers when that data was released a couple of years back, it would be highly likely that the average audience would be 100K overall in those two cities - equal to about 10% of the audience

Hardly terrible numbers when you compare it to any other sport bar the "big three" in this country

It would have, it doesnt make sense, but virtually every sport, in every market, gets better ratings on main channels as compared to secondary channels.
By my quick calcs

Sydney (on 7 mate) has averaged ~32K on thursday and Friday nights and brisbane ~25K

Given Sydney and Brisbane has relatively higher shares of fox viewers when that data was released a couple of years back, it would be highly likely that the average audience would be 100K overall in those two cities - equal to about 10% of the audience

Hardly terrible numbers when you compare it to any other sport bar the "big three" in this country

Except you just made up that figure of 100,000. The sport never draws a big enough audience to warrant a move to the main channel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have been lucky with the weather in Perth.Be interesting to see the turnout if they cop a miserable cold wet day or night game at Perth Stadium.

We had a couple last year and got low 30's. One bad thing about Optus is that it doesn't deal with wet weather well. There's no cover between the train station and the stadium and there's very little around the entry gates. Then when you get in a lot of the undercover seats get wet because the ground is designed so the wind swirls around. OK in summer, shit in winter because the rain blows with it. I'm 10-15 rows behind the drip line and got drenched in a game last year. Despite 90% of seats being under the drip line, I reckon only half are safe from the rain.

The crowd could push to 46k. Just depends on how many members turn up. Probably indicates that at least 60k would have turned up at the MCG Hawkk ?

46k is effectively chockers.

One day we will find out how many seats the Bombers have sold on a season deal.
One day we will find out how many seats the Bombers have for members not allocatedf aka available casually to members.

How many seats allocated to Medallion Club members.
How many seats allocated AFL members to members.
How many seats allocated MCC members & associated members.

How many seats allocated to the visiting club.
How many seats allocated to General Admittance/walk ups.

Only then will we understand why 46k is a sell out for a stadium with a nominal capacity of 50k+.

Except you just made up that figure of 100,000. The sport never draws a big enough audience to warrant a move to the main channel.

In 2017, 17% of fox's ratings were on sydney and brisbane respectively

http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=4038

I missed round 1 and anzac day initially, the following are the averages for this year and estimated for foxtel based on best available data....

1560771441500.png

So 102K average....

46k is effectively chockers.

One day we will find out how many seats the Bombers have sold on a season deal.
One day we will find out how many seats the Bombers have for members not allocatedf aka available casually to members.

How many seats allocated to Medallion Club members.
How many seats allocated AFL members to members.
How many seats allocated MCC members & associated members.

How many seats allocated to the visiting club.
How many seats allocated to General Admittance/walk ups.

Only then will we understand why 46k is a sell out for a stadium with a nominal capacity of 50k+.
I think we have covered this before. Essendon have about 20,000 annual reserved seat holders. Then there’s about 5,000 Medallion Club. The AFL section only has about 3,000 seats and sells out for Essendon games. MCC don’t have allocated seats. Therefore, we have the challenge of dealing with about 9,000 guaranteed ‘no shows’ of seat holders for Essendon home games.

I think we have covered this before. Essendon have about 20,000 annual reserved seat holders. Then there’s about 5,000 Medallion Club. The AFL section only has about 3,000 seats and sells out for Essendon games. MCC don’t have allocated seats. Therefore, we have the challenge of dealing with about 9,000 guaranteed ‘no shows’ of seat holders for Essendon home games.

Thanks again Dave, my frustration is why its not crystal clear.

Where do they put the MCC members & members of clubs like SACA under the deal with the MCC - ordinary footy followers are a forgotten breed by the current AFL administration.

No suggestion its a Bombers problem, its stadium management SNAFU.

I'm going to the North vs St Kilda match in Hobart in a couple of weeks and when looking at tickets was shocked at how expensive most of them were. Aside from the GA which is standing on the hill, every other ticket would be more expensive than in Melbourne in a stadium which has doubtless poorer facilities.

This surely wouldn't help attracting any non-members to low profile games like the North-GWS match.

I'm going to the North vs St Kilda match in Hobart in a couple of weeks and when looking at tickets was shocked at how expensive most of them were. Aside from the GA which is standing on the hill, every other ticket would be more expensive than in Melbourne in a stadium which has doubtless poorer facilities.

This surely wouldn't help attracting any non-members to low profile games like the North-GWS match.

Everywhere is more expensive than Melbourne though.

I listened to Gil's presser about security and crowd intimidation.

Near the end of the audio SEN took from the presser, Gil said our crowds have never been higher at this point of the season. I checked that and total crowds are higher than this point last year ie after 111 games and 13 rounds, 4.005m to last year's 3.919m, which was a record total, although the average per game is still less than several years last decade before the 2 expansion sides were created.

But the thing that didn't smell right was that he said the TV ratings are up double digits on last year. For those who watch these things closely, sorry The_Wookie I probably am asking you to check, does that sound right that after 111 games in 2019 over 13 rounds is up by 10+% over 111 games and 13 rounds in 2018?

I know last year that the 2 or 3 weeks over the Comm Games the ratings were poor, but after catch up of 13 rounds, has there really been a double digit increase? If so then happy days re new TV deal. If not and its not deliberate BS spin by Gil, what would he be referring to? ie Pay TV figures? Last few rounds when Com Games eliminated for apple vs apple comparison?

I listened to Gil's presser about security and crowd intimidation.

Near the end of the audio SEN took from the presser, Gil said our crowds have never been higher at this point of the season. I checked that and total crowds are higher than this point last year ie after 111 games and 13 rounds, 4.005m to last year's 3.919m, which was a record total, although the average per game is still less than several years last decade before the 2 expansion sides were created.

But the thing that didn't smell right was that he said the TV ratings are up double digits on last year. For those who watch these things closely, sorry The_Wookie I probably am asking you to check, does that sound right that after 111 games in 2019 over 13 rounds is up by 10+% over 111 games and 13 rounds in 2018?

I know last year that the 2 or 3 weeks over the Comm Games the ratings were poor, but after catch up of 13 rounds, has there really been a double digit increase? If so then happy days re new TV deal. If not and its not deliberate BS spin by Gil, what would he be referring to? ie Pay TV figures? Last few rounds when Com Games eliminated for apple vs apple comparison?

I thought FTA ratings were up way over 10% before Wookie wasn't allowed to present them in tables again....I would say that only a minority of that is likely to be due to teh comm games which effected two rounds from memory

Don't really have a problem with Gil citing aggregate crowds. I did something last year which demonstrated that attendances like-for-like were higher on average than at their peak in the last decade and thus the crowds are the best ever. Just a quick BOTE, and the average last year for all the non-GWS and Suns home games gives and average attendance of 37,579. The peak in 2008 was 36,996. This also doesn't factor the reduced number of Vic derbies and increased number of games sold to relatively low drawing locations

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back