2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence but given you're missing a kidney and your balls I'm not sure if you're the best judge ;)

I'd be inclined to agree with you though but would have Cox in the same tier as Smith and Wooller, if not a little further ahead. This is a huge season for him though.
I'm with you, Cox had an interrupted season early on but came back much bigger than he was bulked up a bit and played forward. Seemed stronger overhead and I think the extra couple of seconds you have in an undefeated NEAFL side game him time to work on his disposal. Wooller I like, playing the same role as Rayner but fitter and playing more mid field minutes. Alison I saw as another Cutler, plays similar and Smith, oh well until the game they made him Captian I wasn't feeling the love but after that I see what the club saw but he certainly has a way to go to displace anyone in the 1sts yet.

If we send Corey Lyons and Skinner to the rookie list, how many roster slots does that give us? Are there any restrictions on sending a veteran like Bundy to the rookie list also?
I haven’t been keeping up, but I believe if we re-signed C.Lyons, Skinner and Bundy, we’d have 1 pick in the draft, which I’m pretty sure is not allowed.

So if all three went on to the rookie list, we’d have 4 picks in the draft.

We've had 7 players (including rookie Bastinac) leave and 3 come in, leaving us with 43 players. Currently 39 on senior list, 3 cat B rookies (Eagles, Fullerton, Madden) and 1 cat A (Allison), leaving 3 cat A rookie spots.

Currently Skinner, CLyons and Christensen unsigned. If they are kept on senior list, we only have 1 pick (16) at the National Draft. If they all move to rookie, then we will have 4 senior spots and no rookies. If we move 2 to rookie list and delist 1, that leaves us 4 senior spots + 1 rookie spot.

Our current picks are 16, 21, 34, 48, 52 and 55. I think we will defer decisions until later to give us more flexibility. Last year we moved Bastinac and Allison to rookie list to give us more flexibility, and this allowed us to pick up Joyce and Answerth (McFadyen was always going to picked as academy selection regardless), which would have been not possible otherwise. I believe we might do something similar again.

If I had to guess, we move Skinner and Lyons to rookie list, and delist Christensen, leaving us 4 picks in national draft + 1 category A rookie pick. That'll leave us with 3 early-ish picks plus 1 academy late bid, eg Coleman. Would leave us a rookie spot for another academy player too ie Noah Cumberland. If no-one else appeals then we can re-draft Christensen as a rookie - and I think this is the reason Christensen hasn't been offered a contract yet. Given our excess of picks, we will try to trade up, or move some later picks to future picks. If we don't know when the academy bid will come, we might go into the draft with all our picks, then if it's looking late, we trade out 48 or 52 into future picks, and match a late academy bid.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Cox had an interrupted season early on but came back much bigger than he was bulked up a bit and played forward. Seemed stronger overhead and I think the extra couple of seconds you have in an undefeated NEAFL side game him time to work on his disposal. Wooller I like, playing the same role as Rayner but fitter and playing more mid field minutes. Alison I saw as another Cutler, plays similar and Smith, oh well until the game they made him Captian I wasn't feeling the love but after that I see what the club saw but he certainly has a way to go to displace anyone in the 1sts yet.

Cox has a very high ceiling IMO and we'll persist with him for at least a few more years. If he hasn't come on by then tho

Really haven't paid a lot of attention to the draft this year with us actually having a great season but now that it's approaching really hoping Will Gould is our guy and ends up sliding or we trade into a position to get him. Didn't see much of this year's champs but did see him play and looking at his combine testing no way he's that slow. Maybe just tests poorly but regardless would love him to add him to our defensive unit. Also if he is legit 106kg at the size he is now and moves like he does on the field then look out once the puppy fat drops and he adds a little more muscle.
Yeah im with ya, would be an ideal get. Been a fan for a while. Played sanfl this year as well and held his own against the bigger bodies, performed admirably. I have read he is 191cm and 94kg. He may have bulked up a bit but i think 106kg is excessive. Great type to develop into another darcy gardiner for the future or as a rebounding med defender ready to go. Also like miles bergman and jeremy sharp.

I think we may try to bundle our late 2nd and a 3rd or two, to get another pick in the 20s. Seems to be some good talent in the 15-30 range so should be ok what ever way the club wants to go.

Edit. Did read in latest afl draft prospect top 30, that will gould is listed at 192cms and 106kgs. Big unit, a good preseason could see him drop some weight but still built ready to go.

Last edited:
We've had 7 players (including rookie Bastinac) leave and 3 come in, leaving us with 43 players. Currently 39 on senior list, 3 cat B rookies (Eagles, Fullerton, Madden) and 1 cat A (Allison), leaving 3 cat A rookie spots.

Currently Skinner, CLyons and Christensen unsigned. If they are kept on senior list, we only have 1 pick (16) at the National Draft. If they all move to rookie, then we will have 4 senior spots and no rookies. If we move 2 to rookie list and delist 1, that leaves us 4 senior spots + 1 rookie spot.

Our current picks are 16, 21, 34, 48, 52 and 55. I think we will defer decisions until later to give us more flexibility. Last year we moved Bastinac and Allison to rookie list to give us more flexibility, and this allowed us to pick up Joyce and Answerth (McFadyen was always going to picked as academy selection regardless), which would have been not possible otherwise. I believe we might do something similar again.

If I had to guess, we move Skinner and Lyons to rookie list, and delist Christensen, leaving us 4 picks in national draft + 1 category A rookie pick. That'll leave us with 3 early-ish picks plus 1 academy late bid, eg Coleman. Would leave us a rookie spot for another academy player too ie Noah Cumberland. If no-one else appeals then we can re-draft Christensen as a rookie - and I think this is the reason Christensen hasn't been offered a contract yet. Given our excess of picks, we will try to trade up, or move some later picks to future picks. If we don't know when the academy bid will come, we might go into the draft with all our picks, then if it's looking late, we trade out 48 or 52 into future picks, and match a late academy bid.
We can’t take all our current picks to the draft. You can only take the number of picks as you have list spots.

3 list spots means we can only take 16, 21 and 34 to the draft, and we lose the rest if we can’t trade them for future picks.

I haven’t been keeping up, but I believe if we re-signed C.Lyons, Skinner and Bundy, we’d have 1 pick in the draft, which I’m pretty sure is not allowed.

So if all three went on to the rookie list, we’d have 4 picks in the draft.
Edit: My bad. We can send all 3 to rookie list which would give us 4 cat A rookies (Alison is already one) and 3 cat B rookies. Fullarton, Madden, Eagles) We did at one stage have 4 cat B rookies because an exception was made for Eagles. I'm presuming that no longer applies, although we can redraft Eagles as cat B. That would leave 36 on the senior list and 4 draft picks. You can have 6 Cat A rookies, but only if you have 38 and not 40 on your senior list.

Last edited:
Fox Footy reported that Gold Coast have tried to "package" 15 and 20 to move up, unsuccessfully, I've seen dozens of posts here assuming it will be a cinch but I doubt we'll find a taker if GC can't with better picks.

I’ve been saying that for a while.

At best we might be able to do a draft night trade with the Bulldogs if no one has taken Cody Weightman by their pick, and if they’re sure neither Gold Coast or Geelong will draft Weightman.

Trade would look like picks 16 and 34 for picks 13 and 54.

I’m sure Gold Coast would strongly consider Will Gould at their pick 15. They love their SA kids, and Gould would be take Hanley’s spot.

Just the thought of Gould and Lukosius kicking the ball out of defence for GC annoys me.

Great post, although as others have probably said 4 list spots means we can only take in 4 picks. ie 16, 21, 34 and 48. Making 52, 55, and 72 (which we also have) surplus and effectively if we don't trade them we lose them. Trading up will involve some combination of 34, 48, 52, 55, and 72 being reduced to 2 picks not 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can’t take all our current picks to the draft. You can only take the number of picks as you have list spots.

3 list spots means we can only take 16, 21 and 34 to the draft, and we lose the rest if we can’t trade them for future picks.
Am I right in assuming that we currently have 3 live picks at this point in time?
Oscar and Hinge would still currently be on the Rookie list until draft night and are not officially upgraded until then.
So if all three of Skinner, Lyons and Bundy are delisted with the promise of being picked in the rookie draft then we will take our first 6 picks to the draft, the last 2, will be used to upgrade ‘O’ and Hinge.

Fox Footy reported that Gold Coast have tried to "package" 15 and 20 to move up, unsuccessfully, I've seen dozens of posts here assuming it will be a cinch but I doubt we'll find a taker if GC can't with better picks.

Those greedy bloody bastards.

If we had picks 1,2 15 & 20, we'd just appreciate what we've been gifted & go to the draft with them.

Edit: Seriously though, did it detail who they were dealing with or which pick they were trying to move up to though? I.e. if the Dogs knocked back that offer for pick 13 for example + something going back they have rocks in their head.

Like the sound of Bergman. Looking forward to the highlight videos coming out.

If we had picks 1,2 15 & 20, we'd just appreciate what we've been gifted & go to the draft with them.

Edit: Seriously though, did it detail who they were dealing with or which pick they were trying to move up to though? I.e. if the Dogs knocked back that offer for pick 13 for example + something going back they have rocks in their head.
The reports stem from yesterday’ Road to the Draft episode. Guest was GC’s head of recruiting Kall Burns, where he mentioned GC were actively trying to trade up, combining picks 15 and 20.

GC are facing their own list squeeze at the moment. They can prelist any of their academy and Darwin zone kids straight on to their senior list.

They actually traded in some best 22 senior players this offseason, instead of “depth” players they traded in last year.

So they now find they have an excess of draft picks over the next couple of years. Anything beyond round 2 is surplus to requirements.

They have a few ordinary footballers with another 12 and 24 months to run on their contracts, who would be delisting candidates this season if they were out of contract.

Luckily they have 10 Cat rookie spots for the next couple of seasons, so they are likely to move some contracted players on to the rookie list, while filling it out with undrafted academy kids, and possibly a couple of delisted free agents.

No, it basically had a quote from their list manager saying they were interested in moving up the order and had some initial discussions in upgrading 15/20 but there was no serious interest.

I like the sound of Will Day for us. Has some tools that would be attractive to our recruiters and suit our needs. Wouldn't have an instant impact but I like the thought of getting a talented and yet raw prospect like him onto our list and letting him develop for two years in the NEAFL before entering his 3rd season as a ready to go player. It's much better than what we as Lions fans have been used to over the past decade of blooding younger players well before they are ready, usually in their first seasons. We clearly have fantastic development coaches, I could see them turning someone like Day into a quality player for us in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back