MRP / Trib. 2019 MRP Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to appeal on several grounds:
1. Sling tackle requires two separate motions by the AFL's own definition
2. Duty of Care applies especially when BOTH arms are pinned in the tackle, one arm is free and the player made no attempt to protect himself
3. The player hit his head a second time, contributing to the injury, after the GCS medico's let him stand up without any support, prior to being medically assessed.

It was a very good tackle with a poor outcome.

Cannot possibly agree that tackle is worth 2 weeks more suspension than a hit to the head of an unsuspecting player 100 meters off the ball.

This is what frustrates me so much. Are we penalizing the act or the result?

From my knowledge (might be wrong) it was a legal tackle. It was 1 motion and the player had an arm free leaving him able to protect himself. If that player protects himself, does Setterfield get reported? No.

On the contrary if it was a illegal tackle and the player wasn't injured from it, it should still be reported.

That's my opinion on this mess of a system anyway.
It's been the result for years. If gc player gets up the nothing happens to setterfield.

Same with Dangerfield/martin, if he does his act and breaks a cheekbone, he gets 4 weeks. Otherwise one or a fine.

Penalise the action, not the result.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don’t think it was a sling, but it was aggressive and deserves a week.

As a general observation, the player with the ball is being given plenty of time and opportunity to get rid of it which hasn’t helped us at all, as we don’t seem to be able to 100% nail our tackles.
If he doesn’t tackle in an aggressive manner, does he deserve a week off from the senior side because he doesn’t shut down the play?

Might end his career if he cannot tackle with intent.

Setters out is ok. Need to make the most of it. Two week hard training block. He hasn’t been impacting the game anyway.
Yeah it's not the end of the world, Kennedy will come in for him and probably have a bigger impact. Still a terrible decision though and the inconsistency is what's most annoying.

The positive is getting Kennedy some time in the 1's to prove himself and Setters can sort out any niggles coming off the knee and clear his head after his first run of games for 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to appeal on several grounds:
1. Sling tackle requires two separate motions by the AFL's own definition
2. Duty of Care applies especially when BOTH arms are pinned in the tackle, one arm is free and the player made no attempt to protect himself
3. The player hit his head a second time, contributing to the injury, after the GCS medico's let him stand up without any support, prior to being medically assessed.

It was a very good tackle with a poor outcome.

Cannot possibly agree that tackle is worth 2 weeks more suspension than a hit to the head of an unsuspecting player 100 meters off the ball.

Correct.

How can a player get 2 weeks for a natural part of the game tackling but throwing elbows and punches you get a fine or a week ****ing AFL is a farce.
Yes the poor kid was concussed not good but it wasn't a sling it was a great tackle that unfortunately the kid got knocked out. Yet again the AFL go with the outcome not the action Joke.

Once again the MRO looks at the outcome and not the action when determining the penalty. How this action is deemed to be more severe than Martins elbow in the face or the elbow Grimes handed out is farcical.

Last edited:
You are advocating corrupting a corrupt system further, in your own interests.

I leave it to you to decide if such is cheating. All I'll say is this; what you describe was the weapon of choice of the Essendon football club as they attempted to get their players exempted from sanctions or bans.

Where have I said to corrupt the system??? The system is corrupt. How does suggesting us to have a voice in the media to fight for us and the same at AFL level mean being corrupt? It doesn’t... what it does suggest is its time for us to get a fair go!!! Level the playing field.

We have been on the back foot ever since Elliot was ousted. Not condoning what was done in that era, but bloody hell at least we had a strong voice. Nowadays we are too scared to say anything!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a disgrace. The Club should appeal. Others have set out the reasons why. Only the AFL could support 1 week for punching but 2 weeks for a solid tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2019 MRP Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back