Teams 2019 Rate My Team (Pre JLT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My team as it stands:

View attachment 615118View attachment 615119

Go quite deep into the forwardline. Still unsure on Greene but will keep watch with a keen eye. Could easily swap out Greene for one of the mid pricers in mid or defence such as Libba, Miles , B.Smith & possibly Williams.

Obviously rookies are placeholders. Picked most that seem most likely.

Changes from my previous draft(which I didn’t post) are:
In: Whitfield, Def Rookie, Neale, Gray
Out: Williams, B.Smith, JPK, Franklin

Will be keeping a close eye on(that aren’t in my current team):
Libba, Miles, Bennell, B.Smith, Williams, Dusty, JPK, Jelwood, Grundy, S.Jacobs, Z.Clarke, Franklin, M.Lewis, S.Collins and any Pre season signings.

Thoughts?
Birchall wont be back for the first 4 or so rounds. an article in the defenders thread confirmed.
I had him up til i saw that too!
first downgrade in defense...

Latest version. No stuffing around with defence. That's where all the biggest upside will be this year. Not sure if I'll have the gonads to go in with this structure, but geez it's tempting. One of the mid rooks is just a place holder until Gibbons is available.

Edit: $206k still in the bank.

View attachment 615257
Whitfield the only Def you have likely to be top 6. Ryan/Witherden will be around but not top guys IMO
will be a slow burn in defense to upgrade the rest...but should score okay till then.
Gambling on Parfitt/Gresham, and a thin Midfield is risky.
i would drop at least 1 of your mid priced defenders and try and get another Mid in with the bank you have. might be slim pickings though unless you trim down somewhere else too.

Whitfield the only Def you have likely to be top 6. Ryan/Witherden will be around but not top guys IMO
will be a slow burn in defense to upgrade the rest...but should score okay till then.
Gambling on Parfitt/Gresham, and a thin Midfield is risky.
i would drop at least 1 of your mid priced defenders and try and get another Mid in with the bank you have. might be slim pickings though unless you trim down somewhere else too.
Fair points. That structure is fully dependent on JLT scores. If there's no clear pattern I won't be going with it. I respectfully disagree about the top 6 def though. Reckon Ryan and Withers are a good chance. Not so the others. Ryan averaged 90 last year. He took 107 kick ins through the season but only played on to himself once. Big upside there IMO.

Normally I'd be looking at picking defenders who are likely to shift to the midfield (Mcrath, Mills to name a couple) but this year I reckon it's all about picking defenders that you think will take the most kick ins. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the JLT.

It's going to be hilarious when Preuss isn't selected Round 1 and half of us (me included) scramble to reshuffle out teams to fit him in!..
I reckon he’ll play first couple rounds then get dropped when they realize he can’t do anything else but ruck. No good as a forward and has no tank. Gawn will dominate

Fair points. That structure is fully dependent on JLT scores. If there's no clear pattern I won't be going with it. I respectfully disagree about the top 6 def though. Reckon Ryan and Withers are a good chance. Not so the others. Ryan averaged 90 last year. He took 107 kick ins through the season but only played on to himself once. Big upside there IMO.

Normally I'd be looking at picking defenders who are likely to shift to the midfield (Mcrath, Mills to name a couple) but this year I reckon it's all about picking defenders that you think will take the most kick ins. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the JLT.
i can deffinately see the upside if stats are the same at the end of year.
do you see points growth in other areas for Ryan?...what if teams just kick goals against Freo?
that's extreme i know, but what if his kick out numbers drop off due to more goals being kicked with the new number of the beast rule(666).
you would want to hope he can get more growth points than just from kick ins..?
i'm not completely sold on the kick ins being the answer to defender picks this year.
..could cost me though!

i can deffinately see the upside if stats are the same at the end of year.
do you see points growth in other areas for Ryan?...what if teams just kick goals against Freo?
that's extreme i know, but what if his kick out numbers drop off due to more goals being kicked with the new number of the beast rule(666).
you would want to hope he can get more growth points than just from kick ins..?
i'm not completely sold on the kick ins being the answer to defender picks this year.
..could cost me though!
The only thing consistent with Ryan last year was his inconsistency. Another pre season under his belt, and another year older. 3rd pre season in the system. Yes I reckon there is upside aside from the kick in rule. Will I have the nuts to still have him in my team come round 1? Only time will tell!!

The only thing consistent with Ryan last year was his inconsistency. Another pre season under his belt, and another year older. 3rd pre season in the system. Yes I reckon there is upside aside from the kick in rule. Will I have the nuts to still have him in my team come round 1? Only time will tell!!
:thumbsu:
we just need to know what rooks will play/score best and all our teams will be changing.
some more than others.

Latest version. No stuffing around with defence. That's where all the biggest upside will be this year. Not sure if I'll have the gonads to go in with this structure, but geez it's tempting. One of the mid rooks is just a place holder until Gibbons is available.

View attachment 615257
Good team, I would trade B Smith for Collins then Parfitt for Heeney or Tim Kelly.

View attachment 615257

I don't like Ryan but apart from that your backline is very nice. Lots of value there! Having all of Witherden, Williams, Smith and Roberton is a bit different but i think its actually a good move. I currently have 3 of those 4.

Your midfield is obviously a bit weaker than the norm but you still have the 'big 3 premiums' and Libba who i rate super highly.

Rucks are set and forgot, cant fault it but just watch for the impact of Preuss in JLT

Forwards are quite PODish and i love it. Parfitt has been in and out of my team and i think Gresham is a genuine gun, he just needs the right roll and he could well explode. I do rate Heeney slightly higher than Dunkley but Dunkley is still a pretty safe pick and may be a bit of a POD.

Overall i really like it BUT if it was my team id make a couple changes using your $206k....

Ryan > Collins/back rookie
Mid rookie > Gun mid (Oliver/Kelly/Dusty etc)
Dunkley > Heeney

Its not my team though, so if you rate Ryan/Dunkley and you don't rate the backline rookies then no changes are necessary :p

Made another team, 12.9k left. 3-5-2-3 Guns and Rookies. Herald Sun already have my bank details, they just sent me the 50k.

Don't think the 6-6-6 rule will hurt the loose defenders like the AFL wants, they'll just start on the wing and head to the backline as soon as the ball is bounced and someone who started fwd will drop down to the wing to replace them.
Sicily is a genuine ballbag and I love him. Much lower % ownership than the 2 other big dogs and less question marks around him imo.
Whitfield is a lock, hasn't left my team since the picker opened.
I have picked Luke Ryan again because i am a masochist and couldn't get enough of that 68.5ppg he scored me from rounds 18-21 before dying, forcing me to trade him to Witherden, who's hammy then went twang. I despise Luke Ryan, but on paper he looks like a good pick. Did I mention that I still hate Luke Ryan for taking a massive dump on my already shitfilled 2018 team? Yeah, **** Luke Ryan.
This is the only line of my team that isn't vanilla.

Macrae made his way into my team when Blakely died (RIP Blakely, I miss you), he just posted too many monster scores to pass up went 120+ 12 times, 5 of those being massive 150+. Even in the game he got injured he was on 51 at QT. Overpriced yes, but hoping he pumps out some massive early scores. Besides Sydney in round 1 I really like the Doggies opening draw.
My next 3 mids haven't changed since day 1.
Cripps is a strong boy, Blues will still be shit and he'll still gather the pill at will.
Pick Fyfe and pray that he doesn't die or get suspended early, I couldn't see myself bringing in Fyfe during the year, because you just know he's gonna miss games at some stage, you've either gotta start him, or hope he goes down early. He's a hunk, so I start him.
Dusty is a beautiful boy and he is going to kick the ball to Jack and Tom lots. Thanks, Dusty.
MCrouch is boring and not a game winner, but he is really good at getting the ball and giving to his team mates who are better than him, he tends to do that about 30 times a game so that is very good, just bank the 100+ every week, the only mid I've picked who I don't see as a captain option, but a safe and value pick.

Grundy locked. Excellent VC, excellent draw for a ruckman, even if he drops 10-15ppg he'll still most likely be the #1 scoring ruck.
Not sold on Gawn, I've got him atm because its always easier to downgrade him if someone else puts their hand up, but it's a nightmare to try get him in without reshuffling your team if he looks like he's going to dominate again. Still tossing up between Gawn, Goldy and Westhoff. No midpricers are jumping out at me, and I've already picked some of the more expensive rookies as palceholders, so if I do go with Goldy/Westhoff i'd probably just leave the $$ in the kitty to try jump on a bolter.

Dangerfield, duh.
Heeney starboy, will continue to get better and I will continue to pick him as a fwd, didn't start him last year and he killed the start of the season, traded him in he scored two 100s for the rest of the season. Won't let that happen again.
Had Gray early last year and we know he's a midfield jet.
I also really like Dunkley, but I don't want to pick him and Macrae as starters.

6 - 2.JPG

Made another team, 12.9k left. 3-5-2-3 Guns and Rookies. Herald Sun already have my bank details, they just sent me the 50k.

Don't think the 6-6-6 rule will hurt the loose defenders like the AFL wants, they'll just start on the wing and head to the backline as soon as the ball is bounced and someone who started fwd will drop down to the wing to replace them.
Sicily is a genuine ballbag and I love him. Much lower % ownership than the 2 other big dogs and less question marks around him imo.
Whitfield is a lock, hasn't left my team since the picker opened.
I have picked Luke Ryan again because i am a masochist and couldn't get enough of that 68.5ppg he scored me from rounds 18-21 before dying, forcing me to trade him to Witherden, who's hammy then went twang. I despise Luke Ryan, but on paper he looks like a good pick. Did I mention that I still hate Luke Ryan for taking a massive dump on my already shitfilled 2018 team? Yeah, **** Luke Ryan.
This is the only line of my team that isn't vanilla.

Macrae made his way into my team when Blakely died (RIP Blakely, I miss you), he just posted too many monster scores to pass up went 120+ 12 times, 5 of those being massive 150+. Even in the game he got injured he was on 51 at QT. Overpriced yes, but hoping he pumps out some massive early scores. Besides Sydney in round 1 I really like the Doggies opening draw.
My next 3 mids haven't changed since day 1.
Cripps is a strong boy, Blues will still be shit and he'll still gather the pill at will.
Pick Fyfe and pray that he doesn't die or get suspended early, I couldn't see myself bringing in Fyfe during the year, because you just know he's gonna miss games at some stage, you've either gotta start him, or hope he goes down early. He's a hunk, so I start him.
Dusty is a beautiful boy and he is going to kick the ball to Jack and Tom lots. Thanks, Dusty.
MCrouch is boring and not a game winner, but he is really good at getting the ball and giving to his team mates who are better than him, he tends to do that about 30 times a game so that is very good, just bank the 100+ every week, the only mid I've picked who I don't see as a captain option, but a safe and value pick.

Grundy locked. Excellent VC, excellent draw for a ruckman, even if he drops 10-15ppg he'll still most likely be the #1 scoring ruck.
Not sold on Gawn, I've got him atm because its always easier to downgrade him if someone else puts their hand up, but it's a nightmare to try get him in without reshuffling your team if he looks like he's going to dominate again. Still tossing up between Gawn, Goldy and Westhoff. No midpricers are jumping out at me, and I've already picked some of the more expensive rookies as palceholders, so if I do go with Goldy/Westhoff i'd probably just leave the $$ in the kitty to try jump on a bolter.

Dangerfield, duh.
Heeney starboy, will continue to get better and I will continue to pick him as a fwd, didn't start him last year and he killed the start of the season, traded him in he scored two 100s for the rest of the season. Won't let that happen again.
Had Gray early last year and we know he's a midfield jet.
I also really like Dunkley, but I don't want to pick him and Macrae as starters.

View attachment 615328
Nice midfield! Very strong. I really like the selections of Macrae, sexy Robby and both Crouch & Dusty. If there are enough backline and forwardline rookies to warrant this setup, it looks like a very strong GnRs team on paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice midfield! Very strong. I really like the selections of Macrae, sexy Robby and both Crouch & Dusty. If there are enough backline and forwardline rookies to warrant this setup, it looks like a very strong GnRs team on paper.

There's always enough rookies, issue is that score crap, plan of attack will be to upgrade the fwd line first, I've found that the fwd rookies are the ones that bring down my score.

There's always enough rookies, issue is that score crap, plan of attack will be to upgrade the fwd line first, I've found that the fwd rookies are the ones that bring down my score.
Ben Long. Richo loves him.

Kadog

Yeah i suppose you're right about there being enough rookies selected for round 1. Whether they have enough job security to keep playing for the 5-6+ rounds required to significantly increase their value is another story. Then, like you said, its down to whether 3 of the 5 can score well enough on your field. I suppose, if necessary, you can always do rookie adjustment trades in the first part of the season.

I agree with you that your first priority should be upgrading the forwards. Currently I'm actually going with 4 premiums, 1 mid-pricer and 1 rookie in my forwardline. Its very unusual for me to only pick 1 starting rookie forward as its usually 2 or 3 but at the moment im still happy with the rest of my team even with the loaded fowardline. I'm expecting JLT will change things and i bet i will probably end up dropping a premium forward or my mid-pricer in order to strengthen my midfield (which is currently 3/2/3 in terms of structure).

E6BAD71D-C30A-4E7B-895F-997360F8473A.jpeg 70929724-1BC6-47E4-938F-C3310AF69483.jpeg
Sexy Vanilla

Laird and Whitfield are no brainers. Still think Williams will go 90+ and at that price im happy to have him as my D6 come the end of the year. Would be tempted by Birchall if he was fit but Roberton is still very good value, excellent player.

Cripps and Fyfe are easy. Yeo i just love watching him play and has a pretty beastly sc game. Ideally he’d probably be Macrae but that stuff’s expensive. Dusty and Crouch haven’t left my team.

Grundy lock, i’ve given my reasons as to why I’m hesitant about Gawn and I actually think Goldy is being a bit underrated atm, 110+ from him this year.

Danger and Heeney locked. Gray too tasty to overlook now that he looks set to play big mid minutes. Punchable pretty easy selection if fit round 1.

Vanilla, yes, strong, I think so.

Who is the standout bye choice this year? Most team seem to have different rookie choices on each line.

View attachment 615350View attachment 615351
Sexy Vanilla

Laird and Whitfield are no brainers. Still think Williams will go 90+ and at that price im happy to have him as my D6 come the end of the year. Would be tempted by Birchall if he was fit but Roberton is still very good value, excellent player.

Cripps and Fyfe are easy. Yeo i just love watching him play and has a pretty beastly sc game. Ideally he’d probably be Macrae but that stuff’s expensive. Dusty and Crouch haven’t left my team.

Grundy lock, i’ve given my reasons as to why I’m hesitant about Gawn and I actually think Goldy is being a bit underrated atm, 110+ from him this year.

Danger and Heeney locked. Gray too tasty to overlook now that he looks set to play big mid minutes. Punchable pretty easy selection if fit round 1.

Vanilla, yes, strong, I think so.

Backs, rucks and forwards are generic but Yeo is a POD and having all 3 of Yeo/Dusty/Crouch is a bit different. Thinking objectively i cant fault your team at all. There are 1 or 2 picks that are question marks for me but i understand the reasoning behind those selections. You are correct in saying its vanilla, but each team has a unique quality to it and a number of players you've selected are popular for a reason. I mean even if you only picked the most popular combination of players based on ownership %, your team could actually be a bit different. The irony being that its so popular that it becomes somewhat unique, as other teams choose a few PODs.

V3. Changes:
-Laird > Lloyd. I was over Laird like a rash, but a friend convinced me Lloyd is the better pick at a similar price, due to the extra kickout points Lloyd will receive and the less short chips from kick-ins Laird will receive. Something tells me i'll be tossing up between the 2 right up untll lockout.
-Williams > Sicily. Spoken at lengths about Williams but I think he will be stuck in the 85 - 95 range, which may not cut it come tail end of the season. After booting Greene from my team, I need to fill my annual d*ckhead quota, thus enter Sicily. He may be a POS, but he can play. Similar to Lloyd, I expect him to gain a point of 2 from kickouts.
-Goldstein > Gawn. Found some extra cash from trades, so used it on upgrading to Gawn. I see a lot of discussion about the new kick-in rules and how that will affect players, but no one seems to be discussing the new ruck rule where a ruck can grab the ball straight out of the ruck. Think this new rule favours Gawn hugely and we will see him dominate clearances similar to Grundy. Pruess doesn't worry me. He is an absolute sh*t truck, I don't see him playing many games, but even if he does Gawn will play predominantly ruck, and resting forward may actually help him by snagging a few extra goals.
-Smith > Gray. If rumours are true about Gray training in the mids, and he actually plays mid when season starts, he is just as big a lock as Danger. 110+ imminent if played in midfield.
-Greene > Rookie. Not convinced Greene is ready yet. Stinks of a trap.

Things still tossing up:
Lloyd vs Laird.
Macrae vs Oliver (news of an injury?!) or Fyfe (I try to start with durable players every year, but is ceiling too high to ignore?)
Gawn + rookie vs 2 mid priced rucks.
Toby bloody Greene. Is he fit or not?!

1549425085329.png

V3. Changes:
-Laird > Lloyd. I was over Laird like a rash, but a friend convinced me Lloyd is the better pick at a similar price, due to the extra kickout points Lloyd will receive and the less short chips from kick-ins Laird will receive. Something tells me i'll be tossing up between the 2 right up untll lockout.
-Williams > Sicily. Spoken at lengths about Williams but I think he will be stuck in the 85 - 95 range, which may not cut it come tail end of the season. After booting Greene from my team, I need to fill my annual d*ckhead quota, thus enter Sicily. He may be a POS, but he can play. Similar to Lloyd, I expect him to gain a point of 2 from kickouts.
-Goldstein > Gawn. Found some extra cash from trades, so used it on upgrading to Gawn. I see a lot of discussion about the new kick-in rules and how that will affect players, but no one seems to be discussing the new ruck rule where a ruck can grab the ball straight out of the ruck. Think this new rule favours Gawn hugely and we will see him dominate clearances similar to Grundy. Pruess doesn't worry me. He is an absolute sh*t truck, I don't see him playing many games, but even if he does Gawn will play predominantly ruck, and resting forward may actually help him by snagging a few extra goals.
-Smith > Gray. If rumours are true about Gray training in the mids, and he actually plays mid when season starts, he is just as big a lock as Danger. 110+ imminent if played in midfield.
-Greene > Rookie. Not convinced Greene is ready yet. Stinks of a trap.

Things still tossing up:
Lloyd vs Laird.
Macrae vs Oliver (news of an injury?!) or Fyfe (I try to start with durable players every year, but is ceiling too high to ignore?)
Gawn + rookie vs 2 mid priced rucks.
Toby bloody Greene. Is he fit or not?!

View attachment 615392

Probably my favourite team ive seen on here, or at least my favourite pure guns and rookies team. I really like that you've selected all of Lloyd, Gray, Dusty, Oliver & Crouch. No real PODs but that shouldn't be a criticism. If the rookies you pick are good enough this type of GnR team could do very well i think.

1549434535663.png

8k remaining

Rookies are mostly placeholders

Toying with Mills+Miles -> rook+gun which is probably the safer option. I just feel like Mills is ready for a bit of a breakout and could push up to ~90 and end the year as PODish D6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back