Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I put it to that SOS didn't want those players, but bid on them just to be a wan*er
ie
Henry-small forward
Green-inside mid

pick traded.

Pick 17-ACL.

No need for me to go on. I think we just have to agree to disagree.

So the fact that you've got Henry for a still ridiculously discounted price is what makes SOS a w***er

that just makes complete sense

No you are choosing what you want. You are adding in the 2 picks traded with GC but not adding in the changes that happened to what was originally Carlton’s pick. It doesn’t matter what another team did with it because it is all still apart of what was originally traded

We're talking hypotheticals though, Drewie.

Without any trades, but now knowing the ladder positions - Carlton had Pick 4, Adelaide had Pick 9.

After all trades - Carlton has Stocker, Kemp and Philp, while Adelaide has McAsey and a future first (GWS).

If the positions were reversed, Carlton wouldn't have picked McAsey, therefore probably wouldn't have done the deal with GWS, and would have taken someone like Young at 4. While Adelaide probably would have preferred another player to Stocker (McLennan, perhaps?), and would still have like McAsey at 9 and probably not done the trade down to get Kemp and Philp.

So yeah - end results are Stocker, Kemp and Philp vs. McAsey and a future first.

But for Carlton it's more like Young vs. Stocker, Kemp and Philp.
And for Adelaide it's more like 2020 first (GWS) vs 19 in 2018 (McLennan is my guess, but you might have more insight than I).

Hypotheticals, based on what I think each club would have done if the original swap had never happened.

Carlton looks to have come out well ahead, but that probably hinges a lot on whether Kemp gets back to full fitness.
Adelaide looked to have lost out a little (giving up 19 to move from 9 to 4 when the player they wanted - McAsey - would have been available at 9), but leveraged GWS's academy situation to regain a future first rounder and make some ground back. If Gold Coast didn't get their compo, and you'd had Pick 3, might have been a very different situation.

No you are choosing what you want. You are adding in the 2 picks traded with GC but not adding in the changes that happened to what was originally Carlton’s pick. It doesn’t matter what another team did with it because it is all still apart of what was originally traded

So your argument is that SOS traded pick 4 for picks 19 (2018) and 17 + 22 (2019) = trading 2034 points and getting 2818 back

BUT

He could have traded pick 4 for picks 6 (2019) and let's say pick 16 (2020, GWS finish 3rd and no PPs) = trading 2034 points and getting 2818 back

I put it to that SOS didn't want those players, but bid on them just to be a wan*er
ie
Henry-small forward
Green-inside mid

pick traded.

Pick 17-ACL.

No need for me to go on. I think we just have to agree to disagree.

Lol, SOS admitted he put up the bids in order to buy time to do the pick swaps with Gold Coast, it wasn't for some petty reason that you seem to think it was.

No one is 'out to get Freo..

So the fact that you've got Henry for a still ridiculously discounted price is what makes SOS a w***er

that just makes complete sense
Hang on dude. Henry to Freo was always going to happen. Green to GWS was always going to happen.

What does that have to do with SOS? Why couldn't he just call out a name? He had 1 job.

*Essendon :p

Mil, SOS did his best to rustle some jimmies last night and it seems to have worked a treat on a few Freo lads.

Now tonight is time for the master to step in...the mentor...the Great Man.

Tipping Adrian to package 31 and 33 and trade for the 1st pick tonight. Then bid on Maginess and then trade back down after a lil fist pump to your 2 original picks. You and i know he's up for it.

7 hours til showtime from the master. Bet he's at the hairdresser right now as i type.

Mil, SOS did his best to rustle some jimmies last night and it seems to have worked a treat on a few Freo lads.

Now tonight is time for the master to step in...the mentor...the Great Man.

Tipping Adrian to package 31 and 33 and trade for the 1st pick tonight. Then bid on Maginess and then trade back down after a lil fist pump to your 2 original picks. You and i know he's up for it.

7 hours til showtime from the master. Bet he's at the hairdresser right now as i type.

Trade 31 and 33 to Port for 22 and bid on Mead, "There he is"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your argument is that SOS traded pick 4 for picks 19 (2018) and 17 + 22 (2019) = trading 2034 points and getting 2818 back

BUT

He could have traded pick 4 for picks 6 (2019) and let's say pick 16 (2020, GWS finish 3rd and no PPs) = trading 2034 points and getting 2818 back

No I am saying you can’t pick and choose what you want to package up to make it seem better.

The best way in my opinion to look at them is seperate trades

Stocker, Kemp and Philp v McAsey and what ever Adelaide does with GWS 2020 first

Kemp and Philp v Flanders and pick 55.

They should be completely seperate or all added together

Hang on dude. Henry to Freo was always going to happen. Green to GWS was always going to happen.

What does that have to do with SOS? Why couldn't he just call out a name? He had 1 job.

Just like Dunkley was always going to Sydney?

If there's a top talent there that you want, even with the very like probability that it is matched, you put in a bid.

Dogs must be looking forward to picking up Ugle-Hagan in the second round next year if all these clubs remain soft.

Only SOS could be scrutinised for bidding on top 10 talents in the top 10.

Mate, not to go around in circles (because this will be deleted anyway), but why bid on two players then trade the pick?
A. Being a total wnk*er
B. I didn't really want those payers, just thought I'l throw a couple of hand grenades on the way out (ie- be a total ank*er)

I can't think of a C.
I read he used the bids to get more time for their selections.

Just like Dunkley was always going to Sydney?

If there's a top talent there that you want, even with the very like probability that it is matched, you put in a bid.
What does Dunkley have to do with SOS calling out a name? It's not that hard. Just say "Kemp". That's it. or "Trade pick" or whatever.. he has no clue, and to be honest, the quicker he's out of CFC the better. The Board has already fired him, so no need for us to go around in circles.

No I am saying you can’t pick and choose what you want to package up to make it seem better.

The best way in my opinion to look at them is seperate trades

Stocker, Kemp and Philp v McAsey and what ever Adelaide does with GWS 2020 first

Kemp and Philp v Flanders and pick 55.

They should be completely seperate or all added together

Okay cool, the thing is that we won't know the answer to that for at least five years and very probably much longer. I think everyone agrees that it's pointless to argue the virtues or lack thereof of draftees, because you just don't know. They can be Jack Watts or Chris Grant.

We can debate the draft points value of trades (which is a generalisation at best - if it was based on actual career output, pick 6 would probably be worth less than pick 10).

Carlton got 2818 points for 2034 points (4 for 17, 19 + 22).

Adelaide should get the same, if GWS perform to expectations next year (4 for 6 + 16).

Both teams win the trade based off draft points, which is a value obviously highly curated by the AFL to be as accurate as possible over time.

What does Dunkley have to do with SOS calling out a name? It's not that hard. Just say "Kemp". That's it. or "Trade pick" or whatever.. he has no clue, and to be honest, the quicker he's out of CFC the better. The Board has already fired him, so no need for us to go around in circles.

You are literally getting mad about only getting something for a 30% discount as opposed to a 40% discount and it's laughable.
You comfortably rorted the system the AFL has in place, yet you still want more.

That doesn't answer the question. In fact it's a deliberate deflection.

If there were no academy ties, and Carlton/SOS were making a selection at Pick 9, do you believe we would have passed on both Green and Henry?
Not really, your taking out a reality and replacing it with a hypothetical, IF there were no NGA's my opinion is that Green would have gone pick 2.

SOS would have had to pick a player at 9. or trade it. Not just be a tool and bid on stuff like a drunk man with a 20 dollar note.

I read he used the bids to get more time for their selections.

Added bonus.

Clubs do not bid on players they wouldn't be happy to end up with at that selection.

This ridiculous idea that just because a club will definitely match, other clubs shouldn't bother bidding, is farcical. May as well do away with the system entirely and go back to zones if that's what people expect.

Really though, it's only a small minority who fail to grasp that concept. Question is whether they fail to grasp it because of a lack of sense or effort, or just because they get their jollies trying to rile up people on the internet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back