Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really, your taking out a reality and replacing it with a hypothetical, IF there were no NGA's my opinion is that Green would have gone pick 2.

SOS would have had to pick a player at 9. or trade it. Not just be a tool and bid on stuff like a drunk man with a 20 dollar note.

Still not answering the question Willo.

Your entire argument is based on SOS bidding on players just to screw with other clubs.

That in turn is only true if he wouldn't have wanted those players had they been available. Otherwise, he's doing what the Academy system is designed for - bidding on players where they're valued, and allowing their affiliated club an opportunity to match the bid at a discount.

So answer the question - if it came to Pick 9, and Carlton (or Gold Coast, or Melbourne, or Hawthorn...) had both Green and Henry available, would they have passed?

Lol, SOS admitted he put up the bids in order to buy time to do the pick swaps with Gold Coast, it wasn't for some petty reason that you seem to think it was.

No one is 'out to get Freo..
Oh, well that explains it. SOS needed more time. Like, he had no idea what he was doing when he walked in the room.

And there it is. How do people still defend this clown?

Dogs must be looking forward to picking up Ugle-Hagan in the second round next year if all these clubs remain soft.

Only SOS could be scrutinised for bidding on top 10 talents in the top 10.

We bid on Thomas last year. Stop acting like he is the only person to bid on a player

Still not answering the question Willo.

Your entire argument is based on SOS bidding on players just to screw with other clubs.

That in turn is only true if he wouldn't have wanted those players had they been available. Otherwise, he's doing what the Academy system is designed for - bidding on players where they're valued, and allowing their affiliated club an opportunity to match the bid at a discount.

So answer the question - if it came to Pick 9, and Carlton (or Gold Coast, or Melbourne, or Hawthorn...) had both Green and Henry available, would they have passed?
no

You can't have both. 1 pick SOS. Not three.

But, it's all an alternate reality mate. We deal in an opinion based industry based on ever-changing rules. And, the rules as they are say that we have NGA's and F/S's. It's up to the clubs (and in CFC's case Silvagni) how they use their chance. In this case SOS decided to be a wank*r, which is his right to do so. I just wouldn't expect any cordial conversations in the future (which is probably why he was shown the door).

Last edited:
Oh, well that explains it. SOS needed more time. Like, he had no idea what he was doing when he walked in the room.

And there it is. How do people still defend this clown?

FFS, because other clubs took the players we wanted previously, and we still managed to get a top rated prospect in Kemp with another free hit at pick 20 for trading with the Suns, who are now happy to let Jack Martin slide to Carlton in the PSD.

Beats me why you are so mad over this, given Freo's brilliant draft haul .

More time? What, he didn't know about the players who would most likely fall at 9?

I don't believe that's true - that would make him totally incompetent at has job.

Your lack of understanding in what actually transpired is laughable.

Of course he knew which players were still in the draft pool, how do you not grasp that minor fact ??

Prior to the draft, Carlton had enquiries from three clubs (GC, Geelong & one other) in regards to trading down from #9.

Silvagni not only bid on those players to keep Freo & GWS honest but he bought some extra time to go back to the clubs interested in trading for #9. This led to the Blues trading with GC live in the draft.

Give yourself an uppercut and have a lie down.

Ain't that the truth !!

Melbourne were as soft as butter, they certainly should have bid on Green at #3, by not doing so they gave the Giants two top 5 players for virtually the price of one.

Yeah let's bid on a player we don't want or need and let GWS take the guy we wanted instead.

That will show them!

Absolutely stoked by this draft. Add the fact that Sturt and Valente didn’t debut last year due to injuries, we’ve effectively got 5 x Top 25 picks to bring into a team that until decimated by injury last year was performing well.

Losing Hill hurts, losing the ball-butcher Langdon much less so. But our Best 22 will be lovely in 1-2 years if we can keep players like Hogan, SHill and Pearce fit.

Don’t get the angst about SoS. We obviously knew they wanted Henry otherwise we wouldnt have traded up last week - so SoS has every right to ask the question. Sure it looked like trolling to then bid on Green - but several phantoms have rated him Top 3 material. So again, why shouldn’t SoS have asked the question.

It’s a bit like the fuss about Bell’s dealing with the Saints about Hill - everyone wants a villain; but you won’t find a single Freo fan saying that Bell has stuffed up this trade/draft period.

I can’t wait for next season.

no

You can't have both. 1 pick SOS. Not three.

But, it's all an alternate reality mate. We deal in an opinion based industry based on ever-changing rules. And, the rules as they are say that we have NGA's and F/S's. It's up to the clubs (and in CFC's case Silvagni) how they use their chance. In this case SOS decided to be a wank*r, which is his right to do so. I joust wouldn't expect any cordial conversations in the future (which is probably why he was shown the door).

I tip my hat to your commitment to the trolling cause. Enjoy your fun ;)

Yeah let's bid on a player we don't want or need and let GWS take the guy we wanted instead.

That will show them!

You are missing the point here Dez.

Please do some research into live trading and the flow-on effects of doing so. It was advantagous to the Dees to make the bid at #3 for when they used #10 later on (which became #12).

Silvagni not only bid on those players to keep Freo & GWS honest but he bought some extra time
We're actually agreeing. This has been my point all along. SOS was being a pric* and just bid willy-nilly like a cast member of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, and needed more time to do his one job.

I like it when fans come together in agreement. Go Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please do some research into live trading and the flow-on effects of doing so. It was advantagous to the Dees to make the bid at #3 for when they used #10 later on (which became #12).
I'm not missing any point.

GWS wouldn't have matched the bid and we would've been stuck with a player we don't want or need while GWS take Jackson.

Also the talk of sliding from 10 to 12 is stupid because you're not losing anyone from the draft pool except the academy player which you were either never getting or overpaying for.

Been a while LL.

I do think there's merit in Melbourne not bidding on Green. GWS went all in on getting to Pick 4, and there was some talk they liked Jackson if available (makes sense, they don't have much coming through their ruck department). Decent chance if Melbourne tried to force GWS to match at 3, GWS would have just passed on it and taken Jackson at 4. Quality ruckman over another midfielder. They'd probably fancy their chances of trading Green in down the track as well, but if they missed out on him it wouldn't set them back too far.

Back on track thanks.

If you want to have a cry about Big Bad SOS not letting Henry slide further down the order, there are plenty of places to do it. This isn't the place for it.
Mate, we're discussing the draft. Henry's bid was a part of it. No one is having "a cry about Big Bad SOS". He made a call, and we're aloud to talk about it. That's what BF is about.

I like your advice and value your opinion. Now, if you'd like to add to the title of the thread, please go ahead. But i'd be careful just logging on to play the man. That's a thread bad.

p.s. reported.

That's something to be really proud of; Reporting a fellow poster.

Here are some facts for you -

1. Stocker was rated #6 last year in a strong draft
2. Kemp was rated in the top 5 for talent this year by the CFC.

Given those facts, how exactly has it been a poor outcome for the job Silvagni did?

Mate, we're discussing the draft. Henry's bid was a part of it. No one is having "a cry about Big Bad SOS". He made a call, and we're aloud to talk about it. That's what BF is about.

Actually, that's exactly what you are doing. And it stops here.

If you want to complain about him, or discuss what he has done, there are more appropriate threads for it.

Move on.

That's something to be really proud of; Reporting a fellow poster.

Here are some facts for you -

1. Stocker was rated #6 last year in a strong draft
2. Kemp was rated in the top 5 for talent this year by the CFC.

Given those facts, how exactly has it been a poor outcome for the job Silvagni did?
It's someone's OPINION that he was rated 6.

He wasn't picked at 6.

I agree Kemp will be a wonderful player if he get's his body right (Morobito says hi). High risk - high reward IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back