List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep.

I honestly think we have got the draft well enough apart from Paddy.

The entire 2014 main draft was a shocker for us when you look at some of the names that came after Goddard and DMac.

Goddard you can't fault too much as he never really got his body right at the Saints but there are a lot of names after DMac that I would prefer on our list...

Imagine what we'd be saying if our other two injury related selections from last years trade/draft period each played 3 games this year and averaged 25 possessions a game.

I see the Hanners trade exactly as as I see the King and Bytel selections - too early to call.

That's pretty obviously true, It's still a fail so far though. We would have liked a lot more for such a huge contract or the club should have said upfront that they expected him to miss most of season one.

If that's the criteria then jack steven is an equal disaster this year.

He has been a disaster, his missed games probably cost a coach his job and the club a finals tilt with all the benefits like memberships etc that would have come with it.

How have you come to the conclusion Battle will spend years playing out of position?

Well he's played chb all year until getting injured.

Jake has played chb prior to this year, and this year has played chb while battle was injured.

There has been 2 games thus far where both have been available.
First game was vs the crows where battle was played out of position on the wing.
Last week freo went with the shortest fwd line in living memory- meaning brown was dropped and battle could play chb.

Given we aren't playing another midget fwd line this week (or likely ever again to that extent)- the issue still remains.

Where does battle play with jake at chb?

For Coniglio i don’t really get the attraction of Carlton? The media machine have given us this perception, and i think many on here are probably seduced by, Carlton having this young list that is going to be unreal. And they are going to rise up over the next few years. I dont think we are that much behind them if at all.
Cripps - Marshall
Walsh - Clark
Dow - Gresham
Curnow - King
Weitering - Battle
McKay - Membrey
O’Brien - Billings
Stocker - Coffield
Docherty - Steele
Marchbank - Wilkie

The obvious one is Cripps. He is A+ and probably in the top 5 in the league.
Some will say we have never seen King play blah blah but I’ve put him in based on potential. Curnow’s future is still based on potential. His best return for a season is 34 goals (Bruce’s best is 50 and some on here want to trade him)
Docherty is a gun but he hasn’t played for 2 seasons
Membrey is a far better player than McKay.

I get the attraction for cogs to go to Hawthorn. Clarkson and his best mate O’Meara. List wise they will sit mid table for a long time now

Perception is everything though. They seem to be getting some young stars in and playing well. We have the perception of being unlucky and stagnating after a bit of promise a couple of years back.

Battle is only 20 and has spent one pre-season training as a defender.

He looks solid as a rock down there, can take a mark and is an excellent field kick.

Yes, he was drafted as a forward, but that doesn't mean that he can't be our CHB for the next ten years.

Gehrig was a winger at West Coast, came to us and was our FB for a year or two before going forward and winning multiple Colemans.

McGovern was a ruckman for the Claremont Colts in 2010. Took four years to make his debut, he played forward to replace Kennedy who was injured.
He was only moved to the backline fulltime after McKenzie and Mitch Brown were injured in 2015.

Now he's one of the best in the game. What's to stop Battle doing the same?

He seems to playing in his best position. Why is that suddenly changing. Also battle is on a huge upward trend. And is a kpp. Burton seemed close to his peak and is a flanker. No way should we look at trading battle unless we got the most crazy offer

He's played all year at chb right?
That's his best position you're referring to?

Where is battle going to play this week pluggs?
At chb?

What happens if he doesn't?

Would that constitute him being played out of position?

Matho Senior has withdrawn his support. He's heavily involved with Gold Coast now.

Junior sits on the board, but i think you may find he'll take the same path as his old man..

The pokies market got a bit of a shake up recently, are they less able to contribute or just puling out?

I can understand we need backup rucks, and Draper would have been the perfect answer of someone who can share the load forward and rucking. He is now out of the picture, how does Goldstein offer that option? I can recall him resting forward at times but how affective was he? For me the perfect backup ruckman playing with Marshall as the main ruck is a tall forward who can ruck eg Allen WCE, Chol Richmond or Himmelberg from Adelaide. Perhaps if we pick up Ben King one the King boys or Bruce can continue to play that role.

In the interim obviously we need backup ruckman and so why not keep Pierce or Longer (given they are over their concussion) as a backup and go out and get another young or developing state ruckman. I just cant see the benefit in picking up another average ruckman in Goldstein on a 3 year contract & $$$ when his own club will only offer him 2 year extension?

Obviously we have salary cap we need to spend, but rather than rewarding a croc from another club, offer the current list (everyone) a huge carrot if they make finals or the top 4?

What if we kept Nathan Brown on the list - AS A BACKUP RUCKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#Revelation #Inspirational #IdeasMan #Seer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he's played chb all year until getting injured.

Jake has played chb prior to this year, and this year has played chb while battle was injured.

There has been 2 games thus far where both have been available.
First game was vs the crows where battle was played out of position on the wing.
Last week freo went with the shortest fwd line in living memory- meaning brown was dropped and battle could play chb.

Given we aren't playing another midget fwd line this week (or likely ever again to that extent)- the issue still remains.

Where does battle play with jake at chb?
Full back, back pocket, back flank. Take your pick.

There is no need to pigeonhole Battle either as a defender or forward at his age!
And there is certainly no need whatsoever to entertain trading him!

He's a beauty and delightfully one of those rare players that wherever you play him
He can be a big asset! We should just thank our lucky stars we got one completely right!
An absolute steal at pick 39 as Shifter predicted on the day he was!

Seems pretty evident their ideal back three talls setup is Carlisle, Battle and Wilkie. They've shown a keenness to drop Brown if their isn't a clear match up. That isn't to say they don't rate Brown but I think they like the mix of the three I mentioned if they can get it. I can see Carlisle doing a big pre season working on his defensive game so that he can take the number one tall and Battle play CHB.

The pokies market got a bit of a shake up recently, are they less able to contribute or just puling out?
More able to contribute! Well, very short term, no. He’s involved in buying out the whole of ALH & Retail from Woolies. Mammoth transaction.

He has just had it with the board and hierarchy there. Pumping millions into GC ( lives there now ).

There is no need to pigeonhole Battle either as a defender or forward at his age!
And there is certainly no need whatsoever to entertain trading him!

He's a beauty and delightfully one of those rare players that wherever you play him
He can be a big asset! We should just thank our lucky stars we got one completely right!
An absolute steal at pick 39 as Shifter predicted on the day he was!

Anyone that wants to trade Battle or Marshall has seriously dented their credibility. You just don't let you top end talent go, especially before they have peaked and their value hasn't either. Imaging if we'd sold Lenny, Harves and Lockett before they got to 50 games. You would have been hanging from a pole outside Linton Street when they reached their peak at another club.

Battle is only 20 and has spent one pre-season training as a defender.

He looks solid as a rock down there, can take a mark and is an excellent field kick.

Yes, he was drafted as a forward, but that doesn't mean that he can't be our CHB for the next ten years.

I completely agree.

Now he's one of the best in the game. What's to stop Battle doing the same?

This is precisely my point- jake carlisle at chb for the next 4 years can/will stop battle becoming a gun attacking chb.

This connundrum is likely to rear its head starting this week if/when brown comes back into the side at FB because we are opposing a normal height (ie non midget) forward line.

(Actually this structural problem has already raised its head against the crows- where battle was pushed to the wing).

I wonder where battle will get squeezed out to this week? Half back flank is my tip.

More able to contribute! Well, very short term, no. He’s involved in buying out the whole of ALH & Retail from Woolies. Mammoth transaction.

He has just had it with the board and hierarchy there. Pumping millions into GC ( lives there now ).

Is he a massive campaigner? Woollies and anti pokies campaigners think so.

Is he a massive campaigner? Woollies and anti pokies campaigners think so.
I’m sure they do.. they’ve done nothing but fight for the past 5 years. Was a doomed relationship before it began.

Bruce is old school and a tough operator. Opposite of a campaigner. Couldn’t find a more loyal guy to those who are loyal back. Taught me everything I know 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back