2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

TT wont be in the FWD line.. wing brother
Would be good to see for a couple of years. I actually think our wings are starting to develop nicely, and that includes a role for the much maligned Polec.

Everyone talks about mids resting forward, but versatile players who can play on the wing and also take stints up forward are gold. We should have enough talent in a couple of years to rotate these through, which will become even more important if interchange rotations continue to shrink with a young team.

Would be good to see for a couple of years. I actually think our wings are starting to develop nicely, and that includes a role for the much maligned Polec.

Everyone talks about mids resting forward, but versatile players who can play on the wing and also take stints up forward are gold. We should have enough talent in a couple of years to rotate these through, which will become even more important if interchange rotations continue to shrink with a young team.
This is the sort of thing I was talking about in the thread about medium forwards. I'd like to see them capable of rotating from forward to back flanks and vice versa with stints on the wing and even in the square at times.

'Clean hands' listed among the strengths of Phillips, Powell, Ford & Spicer. :raisedhands: I like it.
Our players are going to have to get used to receiving handballs on the chest or out in front. That’s going to take some training. They won’t have to assume the customary bent in half pick up off your toes position they’ve been used to for the last 5 years

This is the sort of thing I was talking about in the thread about medium forwards. I'd like to see them capable of rotating from forward to back flanks and vice versa with stints on the wing and even in the square at times.
I was actually thinking about that when I posted. I've come around a bit, largely due to how the list is developing and our draft picks, I guess it comes down to the quality of these wings/half forwards coming through.
I would still be a bit more comfortable with a couple of additional pure KPPs on our list (I'm not as bullish as others on our chances to pick them up via trade or free agency), but will be good to see how some of the young blokes develop over the next few years.

Sounds like the Collingwood model circa 2018 where Hoskin-Elliot (42), De Goey (48), Thomas (38), Stephensen (38) all worked in the forward line and up the ground, and the big guys, Mihocek (29) and Cox (25) were not overly relied upon. Needs a commitment to fast ball movement and transition but it came very close to delivering Collingwood a flag.

Sounds like the Collingwood model circa 2018 where Hoskin-Elliot (42), De Goey (48), Thomas (38), Stephensen (38) all worked in the forward line and up the ground, and the big guys, Mihocek (29) and Cox (25) were not overly relied upon. Needs a commitment to fast ball movement and transition but it came very close to delivering Collingwood a flag.

That's why I was emphasising the need for skill and footy IQ and recognising it'll take a while for the players to get comfortable with it. Although I'd prefer that we rotated our medium forwards in the manner Lomas and I were talking about.

It doesn't have to be 100% but Thomas, supposedly Ford, Perez, Bonar and could all rotate across the ground from either flank thru the wings. Dunno about Stephenson on the back flank but otherwise he could roll between wing and forward line. Taylor too, tho I reckon he could play on the back flank as well thinking about it. PWalker from Tassie is sposed to be capable of playing across the flanks and wings as well. I know they aren't all this years draftees but they are recent acquisitions and can work this plan with the new guys. LDU, LMac, Menadue and possibly Zurhaar as well? Even Artley for all the shit he cops can play thru these positions.

Spicer, Lazzarro and Phillips are probably more rotating thru the forward line and centre square or wing in Spicer's case. Tho he could possibly play an old school rovers role with Goldy if Goldy is still around in a few years and the young fella develops a bit of strength thru the contest. Jed and Jy too, and Kayne Turner is capable of playing as an inside mid imo.

Lots of potential versatility there. That seems to be the direction the club want to move in too.

But yeah its a very different game to the one we are used to - fast, skillful and not much stuffing around with the ball to make it work. Players will need to know where they need to be, what they need to do and be absolutely committed to doing it.

Na.
Cunners is a gun.
Can be damaging up forward.
Watch our comeback against the Saints from earlier this year.
Won us the game in the 2nd half. Will win us more with better support.

If he could be integrated back into the middle and add some more attacking game to him then sure, he will be valuable.

Obviously we had our poker face on and tried to pull a swifty by not making it obvious.
Probably tried to get a great deal but it never came to fruition
Don't see the point in the poker face when you have pick 2 in your hands. If we wanted Phillips all along, he was always going to be available at our pick regardless.

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/...EwzA9LrraTokRwVFmfsw8qlZKMyNpCCJit4rDZYHXKiy4

Interesting @4.15 "If crows pick Stone then the North deal is on". Obviously it didn't transpire that way but it seems that we were very active trying to improve our draft hand.
Link is broken.

New link - https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1607749612001

So Pick 14 was on the table if the Crows took Stone at pick 11. They wanted to get ahead of Freo to take Chapman.

If he could be integrated back into the middle and add some more attacking game to him then sure, he will be valuable.

Integrate Cunners back into the middle?

Heads up mate, he never left the middle outside being injured last year.

Your constant knocking of Cunners and his ability is absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Integrate Cunners back into the middle?

Heads up mate, he never left the middle outside being injured last year.

Your constant knocking of Cunners and his ability is absurd.

really? Someone at the wrong side of 30 with a serious back issue, he isn’t a concern?

really? Someone at the wrong side of 30 with a serious back issue, he isn’t a concern?

Sure his back is a concern but you keep wanting him gone.

He's our most important player at his best and fit, yet you constantly claim he is no good, not attacking and so on. It's simply wrong.

Sure his back is a concern but you keep wanting him gone.

He's our most important player at his best and fit, yet you constantly claim he is no good, not attacking and so on. It's simply wrong.

well the key phrase is ‘at his best and fit’....will he get back to his former fitness. Back injuries sometimes are permanent, see Steve Waugh and Clarke.

well the key phrase is ‘at his best and fit’....will he get back to his former fitness. Back injuries sometimes are permanent, see Steve Waugh and Clarke.

You're a resilient lad! And from what I've seen, you always play the ball and not the man. Not sure I agree with you all that often and some of the facts are questionable, however you see things differently which keeps things interesting.
You keep posting away my friend.

Link is broken.

New link - https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1607749612001

So Pick 14 was on the table if the Crows took Stone at pick 11. They wanted to get ahead of Freo to take Chapman.

Always enjoy watching these clips and the article on Jake Niall piece sitting in with the Pies was very interesting too (loved reading Dodo ringing and wanting a second round pick for a couple of third rounders - doesn't sound like him at all...). The Dees did a clip last year and Blues the year before. If you look up 'smugness' and also 'nauseating' in the dictionary you'll find pictures of the Melbourne list management and recruiting team in the clip last year after they got Jackson, Pickett and Rivers which adds some spice to the death ride and subsequent shake down of us and their picks this year and last.

Interesting that we were heavy into chapman. Guess that means tom powell was a spur of the moment pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Draft Day Wash Up - Thoughts on our picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back