Prediction 2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a worry is a bit of an understatement

“Biggest matches” is code for big Victorian clubs playing each other. This is a disaster waiting to happen for non-Victorian clubs

Also, in that article is mention of strategic timeouts in the BBL. Seriously WTF is wrong with sporting administrators
It's going to be very interesting to see what "dynamic" scheduling looks like.
For example if it's changing the time of games so the biggest match of the week gets moved to a prime time slot, and this happens couple of days before the game it could seriously f*** up the travelling sides flights and travel plans, not to mention their game day prep.
Not sure if the AFL will go this far but I wouldn't put it past them, I've seen Tuesday night pub dart leagues run more professionally.

For example if it's changing the time of games so the biggest match of the week gets moved to a prime time slot, and this happens couple of days before the game it could seriously f*** up the travelling sides flights and travel plans, not to mention their game day prep.
Not sure if the AFL will go this far but I wouldn't put it past them, I've seen Tuesday night pub dart leagues run more professionally.
They will probably do what the NRL does and only schedule the exact times and day a few weeks before the game (like we do with rnd 23).

There may be a silver lining to the scheduling. Remember when the AFL gave Carlton about 10 Friday night games even though they finishes dead last, resulting in them nearly killing that timeslot for the season? This should prevent that from happening.

They will probably do what the NRL does and only schedule the exact times and day a few weeks before the game (like we do with rnd 23).
Which is going to be extremely shit for the travelling sides. I imagine hotels, flights etc are booked well in advance. Plus I don't trust the WWEAFL to not completely balls up a rolling fixture.

TV rights have become a huge bubble. Viewers are dropping, ad revenue is down, but sporting bodies want each deal to be bigger than the last one so they have to make stupid choices to keep networks happy.

In the short term it should be fine because sporting viewership is actually fairly stable. In fact about the only show a number of people (including me) watch on TV anymore.

The AFL does need to think about new revenue streams though. Internet streams and subscriptions are the future. AFL needs to start making their own product to sell and cut out the middleman. Telstra live pass on the AFL is like $100 for the year. If FTA and Pay TV begin to fall away they should start pushing that.

Sport viewer numbers might be stable, but that just puts more pressure on the networks to try and squeeze every last dollar out of the coverage to make up the shortfall for the rest of their broadcasting. Trying to get more milk from the one healthy cow.

No what is bizarre is that the fixture's primary goal is revenue maximisation and as an equalisation method. Competitive integrity is a distant, distant 3rd.

It's kinda incredible if you think about it. How many other leagues can you think where the governing body deliberately gives some clubs easier games to tilt the playing field?

I’m pretty much alluding to that in my post. It’s ridiculous. Reading below if flexible disturbing actually happens **** me. Who’s going to travel for games as a spectator now?

Sport viewer numbers might be stable, but that just puts more pressure on the networks to try and squeeze every last dollar out of the coverage to make up the shortfall for the rest of their broadcasting. Trying to get more milk from the one healthy cow.

Indeed that's why the AFL need to have some new revenue streams so they are not so reliant on the TV rights deal. Otherwise they are going to have to agree to the more extreme demands.

We have requested no Thursday games in 2020 ( Country members struggle to attend ) also for away games be day games .
No request for Easter Friday game either !

Last edited:
Doubt it. We've played Richmond 44 times in 33 seasons. I reckon we'll get them once only for the 11th year in a row.

Not keen on playing Geelong twice as that means a trip to KP. Even if they are ordinary we will still manage to go there and lose. Ditto playing at the SCG. The Swans were garbage when we played them and they still had their biggest win of the year to that point.
Think our loss in Sydney had a lot to do with the coaches not amending our game plan to suit the SCG. As much as I love Simmo and what the Club has achieved since he became coach there were a few times last year we were out coached IMO, ie we were too predictable at times.

All things being equal we should get Brisbane, Richmond and Geelong at Optus in 2020 as we played them all away this year. Brisbane we may get twice next year so possibly will be going to the Gabba again. Think we only played Brisbane the once in 2019 which was an exception as we normally play them twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon on a Friday (Feb 28) afternoon/evening at lathlain with a 4.40 start time. I’m sure those peanuts doing the fixtures don’t think we work in WA

Fremantle at Joondalup the following Saturday at 4.10

I'm thinking (hoping) dynamic scheduling is making sure we do not have to see Carlton and North Melbourne on Friday night, Carlton versus Richmond on opening night and other "fixed" schedules. Of course the big Victorian clubs will be exempt from the current locked in games such as Anzac Day.

Basically it needs to reward on-field performance during the season. If we were to apply it to this season then Geelong and the Eagles would have been playing marque timeslots. Richmond would not have been early in the year but definitely get more towards the end of the year when they played 7 home ****ing games in a row.

If it does involve faffing up our travel schedules I would be pretty pissed off as a non-victorian club.

In the short term it should be fine because sporting viewership is actually fairly stable. In fact about the only show a number of people (including me) watch on TV anymore.

The AFL does need to think about new revenue streams though. Internet streams and subscriptions are the future. AFL needs to start making their own product to sell and cut out the middleman. Telstra live pass on the AFL is like $100 for the year. If FTA and Pay TV begin to fall away they should start pushing that.

My #1 feature request is the ability to subscribe to stream eagles matches, or have it bundled in my membership, along with the ability to turn on WA commentary so I don't need to listen to Dwayne Russell and BT.

Even if it's like some audio bot or Siri :)

Online streaming is so weird. Earlier this year I had to switch my number from Virgin to Optus and whilst the $30 BYO plan includes Optus Sports for free (so I can watch the premier league), the $35 BYO plan asked for an extra $5 on top. :p

Nine ( 9) Thursday night games in 2020 previously eight (8) in 2019 and five (5) in 2018 ..... we'll be getting a Thursday night fixture whether we like it or not I would think !!

I'm thinking (hoping) dynamic scheduling is making sure we do not have to see Carlton and North Melbourne on Friday night, Carlton versus Richmond on opening night and other "fixed" schedules. Of course the big Victorian clubs will be exempt from the current locked in games such as Anzac Day.

Basically it needs to reward on-field performance during the season. If we were to apply it to this season then Geelong and the Eagles would have been playing marque timeslots. Richmond would not have been early in the year but definitely get more towards the end of the year when they played 7 home ******* games in a row.

If it does involve faffing up our travel schedules I would be pretty pissed off as a non-victorian club.
Basically it's likely going to make an already flawed fixture even more flawed, anything that is going to give the AFL the opportunity to alter things on the fly is a very bad idea imo. I wouldn't trust the AFL to organise a fire in a match factory so the chances of them severely ballsing this up is quite high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back