Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine a boss in the firing line wanting to keep his best employee. How selfish of him.
why did jack and his mrs split up in the first place. Mayb it was his fault, so he should accept some responsibility for not having the presence he desires in his child’s life. Mayb it wasn’t his fault. Who knows?
And to suggest the club caused significant mental health problems is ludicrous.
If i were Jack I’d be disappointed i wasn’t at a successful club playing finals every year, but I’d be pretty happy i got paid huge amounts of $$$.
Jack loves the St.kilda football club.. that is a fact. I also wish I was making that money and can't picture how someone who makes that money been unhappy. But the fact is he was in a bad way despite making huge coin and playing football for a living. Mental health doesn't discriminate no matter a person's circumstances.

He was in a bad way. I never wanted to see the bloke leave but he has now. I just hope he gets back to enjoying life and I'm not saying this directly at you but I wish we could all move on and cease discussing and speculating on the subject.

His spot is not guaranteed. Barely anyones spot is guaranteed.

Roberton, when fit, is a better player than Wilkie. If there is only room for one, it will be Robbo.
It's not going to be between the 2 for one spot. Wilkie will be playing 100% baring a crazy drop in output. Roberton will be playing if fit... but not at the expense of Wilks

It's not going to be between the 2 for one spot. Wilkie will be playing 100% baring a crazy drop in output. Roberton will be playing if fit... but not at the expense of Wilks
It would very easily be between the two of them for one spot, depending what we do with Battle.

Geary Howard Webster
Roberton Carlise Savage

Two key defenders, one third tall/interceptor, 2 running half backs and a lock down small defender.

Wilkie could fit in on the bench, or we could play another running player who can rotate through the midfield as well.

But Wilkie is not guaranteed a spot because he had a good first year. Saying he is 100% locked in will only lead to disappointment.

It would very easily be between the two of them for one spot, depending what we do with Battle.

Geary Howard Webster
Roberton Carlise Savage

Two key defenders, one third tall/interceptor, 2 running half backs and a lock down small defender.

Wilkie could fit in on the bench, or we could play another running player who can rotate through the midfield as well.

But Wilkie is not guaranteed a spot because he had a good first year. Saying he is 100% locked in will only lead to disappointment.

I tend to agree. Though it could be:

Geary Howard Webster
Roberton Carlisle Wilkie

That seems a little top-heavy. Heights: Carlisle 200, Howard 199, Roberton 194, Wilkie 191, Webster 188, Geary 183. Land of the giants back there. But Geary and Webster are happy to get on their bikes, and Roberton and Wilkie can both push up pretty effectively. So it might work.

Roberton would be taking Carlisle’s spot before Wilkie’s...
That’s like saying kent will be taking members spot when fit. They are completely different players. Think Carlisle and robbo worked together just fine when they played. Wilkie and robbo are exactly the same types. Both may work but if they don’t robbo wins because he is better.

Geary Howard Webster
Roberton Carlisle Wilkie

That seems a little top-heavy. Heights: Carlisle 200, Howard 199, Roberton 194, Wilkie 191, Webster 188, Geary 183. Land of the giants back there. But Geary and Webster are happy to get on their bikes, and Roberton and Wilkie can both push up pretty effectively. So it might work.
It could work, but feels very tall and I think it needs another attack first defender as well - like a Savage or Hunter type. Ratts mentioned Long is going to play down back, so it could be him.

And who knows about Coffield - 193cm which would be too tall with that other group of players but I get the feeling the club wants those younger, high picks to play so that adds another question mark to the line up. I also wouldn't rule out Billings spending some time at half back, with Hill providing another option on the Wing and Ratts wanting to prioritise foot skills. His kicking out of defence would be a welcome change.

With Hamill taking over the defence this year, it feels like we will be more attacking all over the ground which will be an interesting change to the way we play instead of playing to kick 70 points a game and hope our opposition scores less to win.

Wilkie was rock solid. He ain't going anywhere.

I agree with this 100% and don't think it's Wilkie or Robbo - I think both play. There's a lot of competition down back for spots but I'd have Wilkie and Robbo both in there with Howard, Geary, Jake and one of the smalls (possibly Long based on some of Rattens comments). Think it might be Webster that is the odd man out but a few on here have suggested he could be played on a wing.

Will be interesting to see how it shapes up as there will be 12 to 14 guys trying to stake a claim on 6 spots

I think Long is gonna be our breakout star next year.

Has that Josh Battle vibe. Much fitter, lot stronger, has all the good attributes to him.

He's probably playing HB, Zac William 2.0?
The issue with long is that he doesn’t get enough of the pill and he hasn’t got that Cyril high damage output off low touches ability yet either.

Needs one or the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it really is ridiculous how many players we have to play half back.
Some of these guys need to be transformed elsewhere or they have no future .
if they want kicking skills through the midfield I would be looking to play Webster on the wing or at least rotating him in that position.
Billing at half back ,it’s a no from me .I understand the argument for the wing but the recruitment of Hannerberry,Jones, Hill means we can now Have a classy half forward kicking 40 -50 odd per year
If we are to kick goals and a winning score Billings and Gresham needs to play forward 90 % of the time.

Geary Howard Webster
Roberton Carlisle Wilkie

Spot on with the back 6 IMO. Coffield on the pine to go with that.

I wish Jack well with his health and family.

But I keep things pretty simple.
I loved Jack and he was a great player.
Now he is a Geelong maggot.
Once he retires I will welcome him back into my loving StKilda bosum like I did with Nick Dal Santo .
Untill then.....maggot.

That’s like saying kent will be taking members spot when fit. They are completely different players. Think Carlisle and robbo worked together just fine when they played. Wilkie and robbo are exactly the same types. Both may work but if they don’t robbo wins because he is better.

Could Wilkie play small?

if they want kicking skills through the midfield I would be looking to play Webster on the wing or at least rotating him in that position.
Billing at half back ,it’s a no from me .I understand the argument for the wing but the recruitment of Hannerberry,Jones, Hill means we can now Have a classy half forward kicking 40 -50 odd per year
If we are to kick goals and a winning score Billings and Gresham needs to play forward 90 % of the time.

I still prefer JB on a wing. His ball use into F50 (as well as to cut through midfield defensive zones) is too important.

Despite his 50+ shots at goal in 2018, I think he’s more value up the ground.

Same goes for Gresh. He’s a developing mid who can go forward & do some damage. Very similar to what Boomer did at Norf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could Wilkie play small?
Depending on the matchup definitely. He is a fantastic one on one defender and can do that grimes on a smaller player role for us if required. But he doesn't have the same speed as grimes so those really speedy small types aren't the most ideal fit for him.

Jones and Savage might play further up the field next year IMO and hopefully Hunter Clark as well.

That would give us 5 190cm plus defenders, one mid size and one small defender.

Thats not a functional back line with teams playing an increasing number of quick and agile small forwards.

Paton is the one I like. Coffield, Jones and Clark can all play off half back but Paton can make one of the pockets his own. Has all the tools and looks like a footballer to me.

this is one of those moments you get to feel proud as a saints fan. sent it to some eagles supporting mates. they were all pretty much amazed. one response was "how did they get him?!?!?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back