News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the most enjoyable games of the Cho dynasty. We weren't a powerhouse but we had our moments.

Oddly enough that was the game that convinced me the dogs were going places. That was premiership-like pressure they put on us that day and we crumbled early.

Oddly enough that was the game that convinced me the dogs were going places. That was premiership-like pressure they put on us that day and we crumbled early.

One of the most memorable games I've been to, haha.
I remember I convinced my mate not to bail at half time after the doggies supporters around us were being absolute tossers.
He thanks me for that to this day because we happily cheered them off when they left.

One of the most memorable games I've been to, haha.
I remember I convinced my mate not to bail at half time after the doggies supporters around us were being absolute tossers.
He thanks me for that to this day because we happily cheered them off when they left.
Was sitting in a hotel room in Berlin early morning making my wife cross because she wanted to see the sights.
Made me take off my Saints hat because she reckoned it looked a bit Nazi and Berlin was full of Russians as it was the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII.

Watched the replay on my ipad on a Bus in the Czech republic about a week later.

Was sitting in a hotel room in Berlin early morning making my wife cross because she wanted to see the sights.
Made me take off my Saints hat because she reckoned it looked a bit Nazi and Berlin was full of Russians as it was the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII.

Watched the replay on my ipad on a Bus in the Czech republic about a week later.

Yeah well

I got to laugh at abusive bulldogs supporters in person, so...

You don't get to tell me about your 'culture' and 'worldliness' and 'wife' :moustache:

heraldsun.com.au/news/v...

Danny Frawley’s legacy spurs $16m centre

Danny Frawley’s widow, Anita, says one of the St Kilda champion’s greatest legacies will be to “make a difference” for those battling mental health issues.
Mrs Frawley revealed plans for a new $16m Danny Frawley Centre for Health and Wellbeing at the Moorabbin headquarters of his beloved Saints.

“Danny just wanted to help people. He suffered so much, and for this centre to come through is just incredible,” Mrs Frawley said, speaking publicly for the first time since his September 2019 death.

“Even though he’s not here, he will make a difference.”

Frawley was a fierce advocate for mental health awareness, talking openly about his own struggles in the hope of inspiring others to seek help.

The centre to be named in his honour, featuring classroom spaces, consultation suites and breakout areas in the Moorabbin grandstand and aquatic facility, will open to the local community in late 2021.

“This is just so powerful and we are so incredibly proud,” Mrs Frawley said, flanked by two of their three daughters, Chelsea and Danielle. Their third child, Keeley, is studying in the US.

“Moorabbin was his home, that’s what the girls and I always thought anyway, he spoke about it so proudly.

“His famous quote about ‘manning up’ is just so relevant and this centre will help bring it all to fruition.

“His footy achievements were incredible, but this, in time, will really stand as his legacy. Everyone knows how passionate he was about mental health.

“He wanted people who were suffering, men especially, to speak up and just talk about it and be listened to.”

Mrs Frawley said the 14 months since Frawley’s passing had been “incredibly hard” for the family.

“You wouldn’t wish it on anyone,” she said.

“It’s my passion and my daughters’ as well, to try and offer support to others, and this centre for anyone that has got a mental illness, it’s just exactly what we need.

“You take one step forward and two back. Most people who have been in the situation we have been in, that’s what they say — you sort of start to climb out, but grief is insurmountable.

“But the support we have been given has been amazing.”

The Herald Sun revealed in September Frawley was suffering Stage II CTE — a crippling neurological disorder linked to repeated head knocks — when his four-wheel drive struck a tree in Millbrook, near Ballan, on September 9 last year.

The federal government will pour $8.5m into the Moorabbin project and the Andrews government $7.3m.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said: “Spud Frawley was a legend of the game, respected as much for his achievements on the field, as for his wit, humour and good nature off the field.

“This facility will not only honour his memory, but be a lasting legacy, helping people of all ages, improve their physical and mental health.”

Sport Minister Martin Pakula said: “Danny Frawley was an inspirational Victorian on and off the field, and helped many people through his efforts to promote awareness of mental health issues.

“The establishment of this centre is a fitting acknowledgment of his work and his standing in the community – and will provide an enduring legacy.”

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis, who drove the concept, said “the key strengths of the Frawley Centre will be it’s integration of physical and mental health facilities and services but also the fact that community members will directly engage with experts in their field and programs which cater for at-risk groups and individuals.

“It’s not just about current and former players. It’s about their families and the broader community. I know Danny would be really proud of that.”
Frawley played 240 games for the Saints, 177 of them as captain, and was inducted into St Kilda’s Hall of Fame in 2007.

Yeah well

I got to laugh at abusive bulldogs supporters in person, so...

You don't get to tell me about your 'culture' and 'worldliness' and 'wife' :moustache:

Why say all that and then put an emoji of Jordan Gallucci at the end of it?

What is that code for? :think:

Danny Frawley’s widow, Anita, says one of the St Kilda champion’s greatest legacies will be to “make a difference” for those battling mental health issues.
Mrs Frawley revealed plans for a new $16m Danny Frawley Centre for Health and Wellbeing at the Moorabbin headquarters of his beloved Saints.

“Danny just wanted to help people. He suffered so much, and for this centre to come through is just incredible,” Mrs Frawley said, speaking publicly for the first time since his September 2019 death.

Frawley was a fierce advocate for mental health awareness, talking openly about his own struggles in the hope of inspiring others to seek help.

The centre to be named in his honour, featuring classroom spaces, consultation suites and breakout areas in the Moorabbin grandstand and aquatic facility, will open to the local community in late 2021.

“This is just so powerful and we are so incredibly proud,” Mrs Frawley said, flanked by two of their three daughters, Chelsea and Danielle. Their third child, Keeley, is studying in the US.

“Moorabbin was his home, that’s what the girls and I always thought anyway, he spoke about it so proudly.

“His famous quote about ‘manning up’ is just so relevant and this centre will help bring it all to fruition.

“His footy achievements were incredible, but this, in time, will really stand as his legacy. Everyone knows how passionate he was about mental health.

“He wanted people who were suffering, men especially, to speak up and just talk about it and be listened to.”

Mrs Frawley said the 14 months since Frawley’s passing had been “incredibly hard” for the family.

“It’s my passion and my daughters’ as well, to try and offer support to others, and this centre for anyone that has got a mental illness, it’s just exactly what we need.

“You take one step forward and two back. Most people who have been in the situation we have been in, that’s what they say — you sort of start to climb out, but grief is insurmountable.

The Herald Sun revealed in September Frawley was suffering Stage II CTE — a crippling neurological disorder linked to repeated head knocks — when his four-wheel drive struck a tree in Millbrook, near Ballan, on September 9 last year.

The federal government will pour $8.5m into the Moorabbin project and the Andrews government $7.3m.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said: “Spud Frawley was a legend of the game, respected as much for his achievements on the field, as for his wit, humour and good nature off the field.

“This facility will not only honour his memory, but be a lasting legacy, helping people of all ages, improve their physical and mental health.”

Sport Minister Martin Pakula said: “Danny Frawley was an inspirational Victorian on and off the field, and helped many people through his efforts to promote awareness of mental health issues.

“The establishment of this centre is a fitting acknowledgment of his work and his standing in the community – and will provide an enduring legacy.”

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis, who drove the concept, said “the key strengths of the Frawley Centre will be it’s integration of physical and mental health facilities and services but also the fact that community members will directly engage with experts in their field and programs which cater for at-risk groups and individuals.

“It’s not just about current and former players. It’s about their families and the broader community. I know Danny would be really proud of that.”
Frawley played 240 games for the Saints, 177 of them as captain, and was inducted into St Kilda’s Hall of Fame in 2007.

wow, just wow!!!!!!

Matt Finnis you are are genius!!!!!

The Presidenst and the board you are all magnificent!

We all should emailing the club and congratulating them for helping to get this established.

Its not just about winning premierships (although it certainly will help) but this, is tremendous and a leader in this field

This deserves its own thread. Give me a minute.

For those who critisise Matt Finnis, well he has come through again
We are in such a strong position having both Finnis and Lethlean. The longer we can keep both, the better we will be.

Finnis controlling the off field and making us the most socially progressive and aware clubs in the comp while also strengthening our connection to the Bayside area.

Lethlean controlling the on field and making our football department one of the best in the business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in such a strong position having both Finnis and Lethlean. The longer we can keep both, the better we will be.

Finnis controlling the off field and making us the most socially progressive and aware clubs in the comp while also strengthening our connection to the Bayside area.

Lethlean controlling the on field and making our football department one of the best in the business.

Finnis announced this last year , we already early in the year shifted 2 light towers to accommodate
works , surveyors were there last summer , things were obviously put off due to COVID appears
Matt has secured even more funding during the year will be bigger facilities.

Think we are not recognising the President & Board , we have lost some training staff due to the reductions
in soft cap, but nowhere near the carnage that has effected other clubs , because we were pretty lean & mean
in the beginning.

No secrets to football clubs , get your off field right in all areas things improve.

Finnis announced this last year , we already early in the year shifted 2 light towers to accommodate
works , surveyors were there last summer , things were obviously put off due to COVID appears
Matt has secured even more funding during the year will be bigger facilities.

Think we are not recognising the President & Board , we have lost some training staff due to the reductions
in soft cap, but nowhere near the carnage that has effected other clubs , because we were pretty lean & mean
in the beginning.

No secrets to football clubs , get your off field right in all areas things improve.
Rre your last sentence, it has nearly always been that if your offfield is great, onfield will be also !! we are now have a good offield, and if it it continues as it as it is, it should turn into great on file.d and then hopefully premierships!

can anyone produce this article

North Melbourne’s appointment of David Noble as senior coach confirms a return to experience in the AFL
Older coaching candidates were on the outer for years. But North Melbourne’s choice of David Noble confirms a big shift, writes Glenn McFarlane.

The era of the young rookie AFL coach looks over … at least for now.
North Melbourne’s appointment of David Noble – at 53 and armed with a versatile, extensive footy CV – as its new senior coach reflects the seismic shift towards more experienced individuals sitting in footy’s hottest seat.

Coaching legends Kevin Sheedy and Mick Malthouse have long lamented how ageism too often slammed the senior coaching door shut on coaches in their 50s.

But now the footy world has once more woken up to the elixir of experience.

While Noble has never coached at AFL level before, and hasn’t coached his own team for years, he has filled a number of senior AFL roles across many years while the coaching bug slowly gnawed away at him.

Rhyce Shaw’s difficult experience as a rookie coach in the “not-so-perfect storm” of a COVID-interrupted season isn’t the sole reason for the shift.

The tribulations of a number of ex-coaches off the field has shone a light on just how difficult a senior AFL coaching role can be, and how experience can, at least, elevate some of those pressures.

Michael Voss told us as much.

He concedes he wasn’t ready when fast-tracked into the Brisbane coaching position at 33. He has now spent the past seven years working on developing the skills that will one day lead him back to the right senior role.

The Chris Fagan template interested North Melbourne from the start of their search.

The fact Noble was so deeply connected to the Lions coach, and to Brisbane’s reinvention, played no small part in delivering him the Kangaroos job.

The relative success of Brett Ratten at St Kilda – in his second stint as an AFL coach – has also helped transform the narrative.

Leading football analyst Mick McGuane has always believed successful coaches are those who generally come from well-rounded backgrounds.

“The coach is at the cornerstone of every discussion at a club, no matter what level you are talking about,” McGuane said.

“It is all about building relationships and knowing your players.”

McGuane pointed to Queensland State of Origin coach Wayne Bennett – at 70 – as an example of why coaches should never have a used-by date, while Melbourne Storm’s 2020 premiership coach Craig Bellamy is also 61.

“Birth certificates are irrelevant,” McGuane said.

“Have a look at Wayne Bennett. He can bring 14 debutants into a State of Origin series on the back of a season already finished and still stimulate and motivate the players. He got them up for a series when everyone said they couldn’t do it.”

Robert Shaw, who was Fitzroy’s coach when Noble played his two AFL games in 1991, said he was pleased to see older coaches considered for senior roles, though he is perplexed that Mark Williams (62) and Gary Ayres (60) continue to be overlooked.

“It still puzzles me why proven, experienced coaches in the prime of their coaching, like Mark Williams and Gary Ayres, can be overlooked for (someone) who is basically an untried coach, even though I feel he (Noble) is in a very good age bracket for the role,” Shaw said.

The three previous full-time North Melbourne coaches were all under 40 when first appointed.

Even Denis Pagan was only 45 when he called up to coach the Kangaroos in March 1993.

The last time the Kangaroos appointed an older coach than Noble for the first time at the club was three-time Hawthorn premiership coach John Kennedy, who reignited his coaching career in 1985 when he was 56.

That’s not to say young rookie coaches won’t be back in vogue again one day.

But what is patently clear is that AFL clubs value life experience as every bit as important as the other attributes required for coaches now.

Coaching legends Kevin Sheedy and Mick Malthouse have long lamented how ageism too often slammed the senior coaching door shut on coaches in their 50s.
Good article but Sheedy was cooked after 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back