Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the Perth game was on delay though?

Possible the lockdown helped by either way 80K is fantastic on an early Sunday game in Sydney

I didn't know that, but yes you're correct. It was delayed by 3 hours in Perth. It did seem a low number for a West Coast game, even taking into account that half the audience would have switched it off at half time.

In Vic we drag our feet to increase capacity, in Perth, they go from no crowds to 100% capacity!

Round 17 fixture:

Thursday, July 8

Port Adelaide v Melbourne at Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm ACST, Seven

Friday, July 9
Essendon v Adelaide at Marvel Stadium, 7.50pm AEST, Seven

Saturday, July 10
Hawthorn v Fremantle at University of Tasmania Stadium, 1.45pm AEST, Fox
Carlton v Geelong at the MCG, 4.35pm AEST, Fox
Brisbane v St Kilda TBC, 7.25pm AEST, Seven

Sunday, July 11
Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at TBC, 12.40pm AEST, Fox
Western Bulldogs v Sydney at Marvel Stadium, 3.20pm AEST, Seven
Richmond v Collingwood at the MCG, 4.10pm AEST, Fox

Monday, July 12
West Coast v North Melbourne at Optus Stadium, 5.40pm AWST, Fox

Last edited:

They play them in Hobart which is even colder than Melbourne.
You sure? Thought latest time there was 3-20 pm for Hawks and Bombers, which still got some sun rays out through clouds at that time.
Do not mind Twilight games in March or early April but July, middle of winter, get ****ed for any places like Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne or Canberra

You sure? Thought latest time there was 3-20 pm for Hawks and Bombers, which still got some sun rays out through clouds at that time.
Do not mind Twilight games in March or early April but July, middle of winter, get f’ed for any places like Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne or Canberra
A fair few games in Hobart have been 3:20 and the Brisbane game this season in Hobart started at 4:40.

It’s smart that they have the West Coast game on Monday, which deliberately avoids the weekend where there is still a 50% crowd capacity, to the Monday where there is a 100% crowd capacity.

Why would you play twilight games at MCG in middle of winter when it at is coldest? Surely in day when Sun is out is better for fans. ******* stupid timing.
Saturday twilight is my personal favourite timeslot for attending games. Plenty of time to do day time things beforehand and night time things afterward.

Last edited:
Why would you play twilight games at MCG in middle of winter when it at is coldest? Surely in day when Sun is out is better for fans. ******* stupid timing.

Purely logistics I think. They would want GWS and GC to leave Melbourne on Sunday given both places will probably be out of lockdown by then. Playing the Swans at 3.20 allows them to go home on Sunday as well.

Tigers and Pies don't need to go anywhere.

In normal times the Tigers and Pies wouldn't play twilight on a Sunday.

Purely logistics I think. They would want GWS and GC to leave Melbourne on Sunday given both places will probably be out of lockdown by then. Playing the Swans at 3.20 allows them to go home on Sunday as well.

You’d have to be a very hopeful gws to think lockdown is going to finish this weekend; Would have thought it’s a while for that to be in consideration.

You’d have to be a very hopeful gws to think lockdown is going to finish this weekend; Would have thought it’s a while for that to be in consideration.

Exactly. If Sydney is out of lockdown by Sunday it is back in lockdown by Thursday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your missing the fact there are two twilight games listed for MCG on weekend. Not one.

Saturday twilight is my personal favourite timeslot for attending games. Plenty of time to do day time things beforehand and night time things afterward.
Docklands it the only place in Victoria that should do twilight games. The ****ed up the design for days games so at last make use of it in winter for twilight games on Saturday. Not the MCG in middle of winter. Sun virtually gone down and bloody freezing.

Last edited:
Be grateful its not that time on a Sunday
Does not matter what day in terms of weather. You want to maximise playing games at MCG when sun is out at this time of year.
Not the freezing cold of a winter evening or night. This time of year all MCG games should be in day and any twilight games or night games should be interstate SA, WA or Queensland where winter is not so cold. Docklands is shit for day games so they can use that venue for twilight games in Melbourne.

Does not matter what day in terms of weather. You want to maximise playing games at MCG when sun is out at this time of year.
Not the freezing cold of a winter evening or night. This time of year all MCG games should be in day and any twilight games or night games should be interstate SA, WA or Queensland where winter is not so cold. Docklands is sh*t for day games so they can use that venue for twilight games in Melbourne.
Ballarat is a hell of a lot colder than the MCG so our game had to be the early one Sunday, you couldn’t be playing at Mars as a twilight/night game in winter. And basically the same for Tassie, a lot colder than Melbourne and better to play that in sunshine on Saturday.

Once the non vic teams leave I’m sure they’ll be more day games in Melbourne since Mars/UTAS won’t be used again this year

What a pathetically led state Victoria is. Absolute nonsense. No proportionality.

I think the issue is that the virus is far more likely to leak in from NSW to Victoria than to WA, noting there's no hard border along the Murray as there was last year. If WA shared a border with NSW, you can be sure McGowan would be taking a similar approach.

Ballarat is a hell of a lot colder than the MCG so our game had to be the early one Sunday, you couldn’t be playing at Mars as a twilight/night game in winter. And basically the same for Tassie, a lot colder than Melbourne and better to play that in sunshine on Saturday.

Once the non vic teams leave I’m sure they’ll be more day games in Melbourne since Mars/UTAS won’t be used again this year
They both cold in winter. Neither venue should be playing twilight or night games in middle of winter.

They both cold in winter. Neither venue should be playing twilight or night games in middle of winter.
Hobart has had a fair few twilight games including a 4:40 game and Hobart would probably be the coldest out of all these cities in my opinion.

Hobart has had a fair few twilight games including a 4:40 game and Hobart would probably be the coldest out of all these cities in my opinion.
Nah, Ballarat's average July low is 5.1, Ballarat's average July low is 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back