Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both stadiums tonight in Melbourne are close to empty. How come more isn’t made of the crowd sizes in Victoria?

Any other sport and they’d get laughed at in the media……

Melbourne the sports capital of Australia, my ass.

Both stadiums tonight in Melbourne are close to empty. How come more isn’t made of the crowd sizes in Victoria?

Any other sport and they’d get laughed at in the media……

Melbourne the sports capital of Australia, my ass.
The capacity for the Hawks game is 25000 and it would be very close to that.

So a couple of interesting games tonight.

Hawks/Power - Hopefully it cracks 20,000 for the milestone match. Although I feel like it will be around 16-18,000.

Freo/Blues - Dockers home game but free access to all the Blues AFL/MCC members. Not a genuine comparison to Suns/Tigers for any fans looking for a trolling opportunity. No MCC access and small AFL members enclosure at Marvel and is also less accessible and fan friendly a venue generally.
The Blues have around 13,000 AFL/MCC members that can access this match free.
This should draw 15,000+ without a doubt.

Well, articulated. Most thought Thur nights crowd was ok with work the next day and tickets only going on sale 9 hrs before the game, well except for a couple on here. So only 12K at the G with full access for Blues AFL and MCC members, and blues club members who had access, and only a few thousand more than suns v tiges at marvel.

Anyway, crowds will be affected until some form of normality returns in Victoria.

Next week Rich V Pies, is it confirmed capacity will rise to 50%. It's a tigers home game and at a guess anywhere between 35-45K, 50K allowed capacity will never get 50K exactly, so if it tops 40K thats good enough. Whats your take on next weeks attendance?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most would of been Carlton supporters and they are obviously not doing well.

2 wins on the trot and only a game behind Richmond. Sure most would have been blues fans, but freo would've bought more to the G than GC at marvel.
With free access for MCC and AFL members 15K wouldn't have been unreasonable to expect.

Well, articulated. Most thought Thur nights crowd was ok with work the next day and tickets only going on sale 9 hrs before the game, well except for a couple on here. So only 12K at the G with full access for Blues AFL and MCC members, and blues club members who had access, and only a few thousand more than suns v tiges at marvel.

Anyway, crowds will be affected until some form of normality returns in Victoria.

Next week Rich V Pies, is it confirmed capacity will rise to 50%. It's a tigers home game and at a guess anywhere between 35-45K, 50K allowed capacity will never get 50K exactly, so if it tops 40K thats good enough. Whats your take on next weeks attendance?
Assuming minimal or no more local transmission of COVID, surely we see an increase in capacity to 60% with max capacity of 50,000 at MCG.

This would mean Marvel gets to around 35,000 which would theoretically enable Essendon to not limit attendance to it match. 50% at Marvel is around 28,000 meaning Essendon may not be able to get everyone in, even allowing for a terrible attendance environment plaguing the game.

Richmond / Collingwood should go close to selling out at 50,000, however expect only 41-43,000 to attend. Richmond’s loss has taken the wind out of its sail, Collingwood needs to beat the Saints for it to sell out you’d think.

Again I just think it’s hard to compare apples with apples at the moment. Tickets went on sale Friday afternoon.

Agree, ive said that all along and Dave10 summed it up perfectly.
For suns v tiges it went on sale the same day (9 hrs before the game), on a working day that's just going to impact the overall attendance, but clueless Kane Cornes couldn't help himself to have a crack, you have to have some form of understanding why a crowd is impacted, i.e Thurs game with work next day, when tickets went on sale, weather it was 8 degrees. No MCC access and AFL access only 1500.

It seems Vic has been hit harder crowd wise than interstate attendances. Not so much early in the year here as there was some good crowds but last few weeks it's dropped.

Assuming minimal or no more local transmission of COVID, surely we see an increase in capacity to 60% with max capacity of 50,000 at MCG.

This would mean Marvel gets to around 35,000 which would theoretically enable Essendon to not limit attendance to it match. 50% at Marvel is around 28,000 meaning Essendon may not be able to get everyone in, even allowing for a terrible attendance environment plaguing the game.

Richmond / Collingwood should go close to selling out at 50,000, however expect only 41-43,000 to attend. Richmond’s loss has taken the wind out of its sail, Collingwood needs to beat the Saints for it to sell out you’d think.

Hope so, we need 50% plus capacity back. Sure Richmonds last 2 losses have been the worst ive seen in 4-5 years, more so the ball movement and lack of confidence in taking the game on, so un Richmond like.

With that being said we will come out at the G being our home game and playing arch-rival Collingwood.
Agree pies win and its mid to high 40's, lose and 40K should still be expected.

Hope so, we need 50% plus capacity back. Sure Richmonds last 2 losses have been the worst ive seen in 4-5 years, more so the ball movement and lack of confidence in taking the game on, so un Richmond like.

With that being said we will come out at the G being our home game and playing arch-rival Collingwood.
Agree pies win and its mid to high 40's, lose and 40K should still be expected.
Don't need 50,000 at many matches yes maybe Coll v Rich! Can't even get 25,000 ATM at the G or Marvel or Adelaide Oval!

Been out most of the evening, so I’m slightly out of the loop.

Has 50% been confirmed, and have they announced the Richmond vs Collingwood schedule?

Been out most of the evening, so I’m slightly out of the loop.

Has 50% been confirmed, and have they announced the Richmond vs Collingwood schedule?

As far I'm aware 50% hasn't, we will likely know early next week.
For the scheduling of Rich V Coll, this hasn't been announced as yet, we'll know by Monday surely. At a guess, I'll say the game will be on Sat or Sun, as the pies are playing tomorrow.

Sub 10 degrees and tickets on sale 24 hours ago I think at the very least a respectable outcome for the blues freo crowd
I don’t really agree. We’ve really lowered our standards if we think 12,000 is respectable. I think it should’ve drawn 15,000. The Demons drew 17,000 4 hours earlier (yes, their home game), this should’ve been closer to 17,000 than 12,000.

Both crowds last night on the slightly disappointing side. Hopefully we get some further easing this week and the clubs put a bit of focus into getting their fans to the footy.

These crowds really are pitiful, even allowing for the curcumdtances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back