Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait shit from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Are we really this bad ??? Blokes in hear think our midfield is 35+… modern sports science has athletes extending their careers in the major sports. Sick of everyone underrating the list and the old “ won’t be around for next flag tilt”, we need the experienced players we have to set the standard and culture at the joint.
Go around again next year with this group, no way I can see these guys in the bottom 8 unless injuries ravage the list.
make us a destination club again
Are you aware of the well-known cliché regarding the definition of insanity?

“Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome”

The injection of youth in the past few years - Day CJ DGB Bramble Newcombe Brockmann, Kosi, Jeka, Scrimshaw, Maginess Downie all continuing their development both in the ones and twos

The injection of a new coaching team - new outlook and ideas - started last year with Nash in the Middle

The injection of covid vaccines that means the next season isn't going to be as interrupted

The injection of (at this stage picks 5, 21, 24 which isn't the worst hand you can have in a deep misfield draft.

like in the blues brothers - I say we give Mitchell and his team one chance with what we have before we go crazy on deals.
We can’t give them a chance, it is now or never with Mitchell, O’meara, Wingard, Gunston.

The injection of youth in the past few years - Day CJ DGB Bramble Newcombe Brockmann, Kosi, Jeka, Scrimshaw, Maginess Downie all continuing their development both in the ones and twos

The injection of a new coaching team - new outlook and ideas - started last year with Nash in the Middle

The injection of covid vaccines that means the next season isn't going to be as interrupted

The injection of (at this stage picks 5, 21, 24 which isn't the worst hand you can have in a deep misfield draft.

like in the blues brothers - I say we give Mitchell and his team one chance with what we have before we go crazy on deals.
Loads of injections here, I just hope they're approved

I get the premise but that's not the reality. When a coach is telling a player he won't be welcome back it makes things much more difficult to say no

You don't get it

The Chad isn't so fixated on the coin. He's a different cat. Push him hard to leave and he drops out of the game altogether or just walks out on the club to whoever wants him in the PSD - why do you think he's going to play by your dumb rules.

If he does that - all that happens is we lose one of our better current players for nothing.

He's moved from his home and family to be here, he's not going to move to Sydney because some loud mouth tool on BigFooty says you have to go to indulge my fantasies.

You don't think Mcpherson would have felt the same? Yet he said No
It all depends on how the prospect of leaving is presented to the player by the club. My understanding is that GC were open to McPherson leaving if he wanted to but we’re happy for him to stay. The Burton trade seemed much more forced.

Note: I’m a huge Wingard fan and don’t want to see him traded. But if, hypothetically, Norf offered pick1 for Chad (not that they would) I’m not sure Chad‘s contract and his wish to stay at the Hawks would stop that trade being forced through.

Last edited:
We can’t give them a chance, it is now or never with Mitchell, O’meara, Wingard, Gunston.

I'm not really into the capitalism thing

But my understanding is its a buyer's market. There's options and offers out there but no one really wants to commit hence the muy aburrido trade period.

So what are your options? you can fire sale those guys for spec picks in the 20's and spend the next 4 years at the bottom of the ladder or you can rebuild through development of talent and coaching with the 18 or so players we already have under 22

If this Wingard deal does start to gain momentum are we more than likely bringing back a player to help them get him and Lobb under the cap?

it’s been mentioned that Freo aren’t wanting to pay any of Lobbs money and Hill would be going out with us paying some of Wingard money surely they will need more salary to go too?

It all depends on how the prospect of leaving is presented to the player by the club. My understanding is that GC were open to McPherson leaving if he wanted to but we’re happy for him to stay. The Burton trade seemed much more forced.
We are not forcing wingard to leave

If this Wingard deal does start to gain momentum are we more than likely bringing back a player to help them get him and Lobb under the cap?

it’s been mentioned that Freo aren’t wanting to pay any of Lobbs money and Hill would be going out with us paying some of Wingard money surely they will need more salary to go too?
I'd love to get Hill involved if we could, but not if it hurts the picks capital gained. A very fine balancing act, made even more difficult by Hill preferring Essendon

it's a tight spot

i don't think we should trade more than two of these players

i also don't think we should trade zero of these players (unless they all really want to stay)

i don't think we should trade Chad

i don't think we should push anybody out the door

i don't think we should take unders on anyone

i don't think we should go to the draft with just our current hand

so there's a lot of moving parts and pros/cons that will have to be weighed up, which is a lot for a pretty much entirely new-look coaching staff, and i bet rigorous discussions are happening now and will continue to right up until Wed arvo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you aware of the well-known cliché regarding the definition of insanity?

“Doing same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome”

Are we really doing the same thing though?? Clarko is gone and I am happy to be corrected, but you indicated in previous posts that there was angst especially from TOM around coaching direction? (Not having a crack, just how I remembered it!)

If this was correct, Sam is probably our greatest inclusion as his changes to the midfield could unlock what we are missing?

I'm not really into the capitalism thing

But my understanding is its a buyer's market. There's options and offers out there but no one really wants to commit hence the muy aburrido trade period.

So what are your options? you can fire sale those guys for spec picks in the 20's and spend the next 4 years at the bottom of the ladder or you can rebuild through development of talent and coaching with the 18 or so players we already have under 22
No one is suggesting we let these players go for picks in the 20's you are arguing something no one is saying. If we can can not get decent compensation of course we keep them.

I think it's pretty clear Sam doesn't want to run the team back mate.

He wants to rebuild. Which we absolutely should be.

Unlike a number of posters, the club wouldn't be expecting a jump towards finals in 2022.

I actually think we may even regress in win-loss, but take some giants steps forward under Sam and a push towards added responsibility and opportunity for our youth.

There is a reason the club is open to trading out some of our more experienced talent. It's called a rebuld.

This place was probably melting when Thompson, Hay, Croad, Rawlings etc. were moved on.

Last edited:
If Wingard is told by Sam Mitchell on Wednesday he wants him out and a fresh start then Chad will move. This will come down to an honest and direct chat between player and coach.

The harsh reality is footy is a business and when you are on big coin 600k plus a year like Chad you have a target on your back to perform.

Chads 48 games with us over 3 years have been a massive bag of mixed tricks hence why we are open to discuss him.

Are you saying, Hill has a chance in being a Hawk next year

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably Xavier o’hallaran.

If Wingard is told by Sam Mitchell on Wednesday he wants him out and a fresh start then Chad will move. This will come down to an honest and direct chat between player and coach.

The harsh reality is footy is a business and when you are on big coin 600k plus a year like Chad you have a target on your back to perform.

Chads 48 games with us over 3 years have been a massive bag of mixed tricks hence why we are open to discuss him.
Can't see Sam pushing him though mate.

Are we really doing the same thing though?? Clarko is gone and I am happy to be corrected, but you indicated in previous posts that there was angst especially from TOM around coaching direction? (Not having a crack, just how I remembered it!)

If this was correct, Sam is probably our greatest inclusion as his changes to the midfield could unlock what we are missing?
Clarko and Bolton couldn’t get the midfield group to work together as well as it should on paper.

Sam’s not going to want that same group together unchanged, and then fall into the same trap.

Change is necessary, including both coaching direction and personnel.

No one is suggesting we let these players go for picks in the 20's you are arguing something no one is saying. If we can can not get decent compensation of course we keep them.

Amen and Hallelujah - though it seemed to me several posters are suggesting getting rid of them for below their worth - eg pick 13 for Wingard or pick 15 for Mitchell

Are you saying, Hill has a chance in being a Hawk next year

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No would think he lands at Essendon I mean in net value…Wingard and Lobb probably $1.4m between them and Hill likely not quite on that much haha so will they need to dump more salary despite Hawthorn fronting some of Wingards money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back