Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zerrett was considering leaving a few years ago due to the culture issues at Essendon, of which Stringer was a contributor. I can't see him now wanting to leave because they won't extend Stringer, that would be a complete 180.
Except apparently two of his closest mates on that list were Hind who they cut and Laverde who they have told to look elsewhere and they would assist him getting there but if there’s nothing else out there they will keep him for the final year but won’t extend him. Saints also into Laverde

I think you need one of frost or blanck with Barrass imo. Dunno how you fit them all in but barrass would be better as the 2nd tall.
Barrass is FB - plays out of the Goal Square & coordinates others.

Blanck plays/competes for that role.

Frost has played it out of necessity (Blanck injured) but it's not his natural role - he's a mobile, lockdown Defender.

Except apparently two of his closest mates on that list were Hind who they cut and Laverde who they have told to look elsewhere and they would assist him getting there but if there’s nothing else out there they will keep him for the final year but won’t extend him. Saints also into Laverde
You'd think if Essendon lose Merrett they'd be in a world of hurt next year.

Frost has played it out of necessity (Blanck injured) but it's not his natural role - he's a mobile, lockdown Defender.
imo Frost's ideal role is similar to Stratton's. Big, small, not a huge offensive contributor but goes in and does a job. You could swing Dimma forward and have Frost play his role, for example

imo Frost's ideal role is similar to Stratton's. Big, small, not a huge offensive contributor but goes in and does a job. You could swing Dimma forward and have Frost play his role, for example
100% you could.

I'd love to see Sicily replace Gunston next season & Hardwick replace Breust.

Frost can cover a mobile big, a dangerous mid-sized (Fritsch type) or a small. He's also a handy intercept mark, but he's about 5th* in line cos that's kinda our thing (*after Barrass + Battle come in).

Stringer has cleaned up his act off field to be fair. Know a few boys that have had a few things to do with him and they have nothing but good things to say about him. Has worked hard to straighten up. He's not a bad third tall type, he can't chase or put pressure on as his engine doesn't allow him to do, so that's why the scum are hesitant about a longer contract. İn a good system, a top six team, he could be used as that third tall that gets you 40+ goals. Few clubs have genuine interest.

Barrass = Lake

Frost = Stratton

Battle = Gibson

Scrim = Birchall

Hardwick = Guerra

Imply, Amon = Suckling, Duryea

Sicily = Hodge

They'll get everything + more, to succeed.

Tend to disagree. If the AFL wanted a Tassie team, they would have been put ahead before the Suns. Think they won’t be as bad off as the Eagles and the Bears were. Mainly the Bears, as they were not even an after thought. They definitely won’t get the generosity of what the Suns and GWS received though.

Barrass = Lake

Frost = Stratton

Battle = Gibson

Scrim = Birchall

Hardwick = Guerra

Sicily = Hodge
Who = Gunston & = Breust?

The actual Gunston & Breust now offer different things than the players of old did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zerrett was considering leaving a few years ago due to the culture issues at Essendon, of which Stringer was a contributor. I can't see him now wanting to leave because they won't extend Stringer, that would be a complete 180.
He should have left when they kicked him out of the leadership group for demanding more from his team mates.
His failure to achieve team success, or be at a team that does, is his own doing.

Who = Gunston & = Breust?

The actual Gunston & Breust now offer different things than the players of old did.
Just talking backline there but our roles are different now.

Not sure we would go with 3 talls + a ruck (rough, franklin/shoenmakers, gunston + Hale) these days. Cyril, Poppy and Bruest and rough and bud so good at chasing allowed us to do that.

I think we willl be more

Dear = 1st tall

Lewis = 2nd tall

Chol = ruck/forward

Watson & Ginnivan = Deep smalls

Moore & Macdonald = High half forwards

Then mix it up with Weddle, Newcombe, Day, Sicily.

I was thinking the same thing.

With a healthy list we are going to be a nightmare to match up on, I don't remembere a team with this much quality flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Hope so, still a ridiculous limit. AFL need to change it to all listed players can come on whenever. And no Interchange cap.

Was an embarrassment seeing Carlton having to leave Boyd out there limping against us only to miss the next 3 weeks.
They brought in the sub rule because losing a player was hurting more than it used to, this was due to rampant interchange numbers.

Now the interchange is capped, there is not really a much need for a sub so yeah, I'm all for ditching it. 4 or 5 whatever.

I like the cap though, it's grown on me. It rewards fitness.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

His father was amazing. Such a beautiful kick. With him and Colin Robertson together they both doubled their possessions, because people kept attributing their possessions to both of them. When the Bombres fans booed Kennedy after Robertson concussed Tim Watson in the 83 GF, you knew they had no idea which was which.
Ahhhh - Colin Robertson.
Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Barrass = Lake

Frost = Stratton

Battle = Gibson

Scrim = Birchall

Hardwick = Guerra

Sicily = Hodge
Just curious but why do we have to compare our current (some not even obtained yet) to our past greats? Maybe just let them develop their own identity. The game is totally different now and not many of the players compared above play anything like each other so really what's the point.

What are the chances Serong plays permanent forward next year with the ability to swing back? Was originally drafted as a forward.

With Gunston likely playing his last year could it possibly give us a way to get him into the team? I don’t believe he has a way to crack into our defence with the reinforcements on the way, but there IS a potential opening in our forward line. The defensive cover he could give us with injury is just the added bonus.

Be interested to hear what some of the rusted on box hill watchers think

I really hope that St Kilda get Merrett only so we can play everyone’s favourite game - watching Essendon burn multiple first round picks on average at best talent!
I actually think trading Merrett for two top 10 picks, as well as moving on Stringer, could be good business for Essendon. They aren't challenging and it would be brave of Scott to replenish without falling to the absolute bottom of the ladder. Merrett is a good player, but seems a bit of a shit leader and they need to rebuild their entire culture at that joint. Scott is a pretty ruthless bloke - if Merrett genuinely had a sook about him trying to move on some failing senior players, I could see Scott feeling he's not the guy to lead the player group.

Of course they'd probably stuff up the picks as you say though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back