Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
None of you ****ers have an opinion on my draft????

I Must GIFs | Tenor

Bee GIFs | Tenor

Perfect GIF - Perfect - Discover & Share GIFs | Ser saudável, Vida, Comidas  saudaveis

I think if he was there, we'd see if anyone else in the teens wanted to trade up to get him. He's a hard one to place because if he doesnt go at 3(5) to Gold Coast, it's difficult to find which club he fits at. Allison who we took last year (195cm) was originally a forward and was moved to defence, but if Gibcus was there, we might take him and move Allison back forward and really hope Owens makes it past 20 so we still get at least 2 mids in this draft.

I dont think NWM is a good fit for us either since he is a pure wing. We already have invested a lot of money and picks in our wings so using another first rounder on yet another wing would be underwhelming. Would prefer someone much more balanced, like Johnson, or Sinn who could replace Clark at half back (who would move into the middle) then move into the midfield himself in a few years
Just on Gibcus, you would have to think GWS would take him at their second selection.

Maybe even Essendon at their first pick might think Gibcus rounds out their KPD stock.

I think if he was there, we'd see if anyone else in the teens wanted to trade up to get him. He's a hard one to place because if he doesnt go at 3(5) to Gold Coast, it's difficult to find which club he fits at. Allison who we took last year (195cm) was originally a forward and was moved to defence, but if Gibcus was there, we might take him and move Allison back forward and really hope Owens makes it past 20 so we still get at least 2 mids in this draft.

I dont think NWM is a good fit for us either since he is a pure wing. We already have invested a lot of money and picks in our wings so using another first rounder on yet another wing would be underwhelming. Would prefer someone much more balanced, like Johnson, or Sinn who could replace Clark at half back (who would move into the middle) then move into the midfield himself in a few years
That's a good shout tbf, you could get a GWS/ Richmond/GC overpaying for your pick 11! I'd imagine you guys would still want to have a first rounder in this years draft, and if GWS take that pick of you, then that eliminates the only club in the top 20 that are considering bidding on Owens according to Twomey.

That's a good shout tbf, you could get a GWS/ Richmond/GC overpaying for your pick 11! I'd imagine you guys would still want to have a first rounder in this years draft, and if GWS take that pick of you, then that eliminates the only club in the top 20 that are considering bidding on Owens according to Twomey.
We definitely want to keep our first rounder and potentially get back into the 2nd round but without a 2nd round pick getting used in the bids. Richmond is probably our best bet to make that happen given there late 20s picks but it would need to be the right player slip out of the top 10 to get them to trade and for us to move back that far too.

Twomey seems confident that Owens will still get through because 15 seems like a huge reach for him, especially given some of the players who should still be on the board. But given the amount fo first round picks GWS always have, they might be more willing to use a first rounder on someone most rankings have in the late 20s. Will be a nervous watch on night 1.

Think you're in for a surprise. No one left on board I think suits you better.
I've read too many Essendon fans perspectives, who have sources too, that claim Sinn, NWM, Goater, Amiss, Rachele, Draper are linked at our first pick. Knevitt has appealing height, but i personally don't want him. He has a super strange ball drop, according to some of our fans who have watched him, he's got good hands and can distribute out of pressure, can take contested grabs, leads well but my thing is, he's a high risk high reward type prospect. Over the years, i've seen players with his hype/ height not really translate or a low success rate. Players that come to mind are your kemp's, Ely Smith's, RCD (who i rate), Philp, Will Brodie, Bonar, Constable, etc type players who have the physical/height attributes to exceed in the AFL but for whatever reason it doesn't translate and become busts. I wouldn't mind if we had a second rounder and took a punt on him but because we don't have one, i feel more assured by players who have been linked at our pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely want to keep our first rounder and potentially get back into the 2nd round but without a 2nd round pick getting used in the bids. Richmond is probably our best bet to make that happen given there late 20s picks but it would need to be the right player slip out of the top 10 to get them to trade and for us to move back that far too.

Twomey seems confident that Owens will still get through because 15 seems like a huge reach for him, especially given some of the players who should still be on the board. But given the amount fo first round picks GWS always have, they might be more willing to use a first rounder on someone most rankings have in the late 20s. Will be a nervous watch on night 1.
Yeah GWS are that team that can always take the unpopular selection, i.e your Taranto's.

I agree with this.
It is my view if Giants take Callaghan, which I think they should, the Sun's will take either Gibcus or Andrew at 5 (assuming bids).
I reckon there is a very reasonable chance that the other stays on the board all the way to the Giants next pick

I've read too many Essendon fans perspectives, who have sources too, that claim Sinn, NWM, Goater, Amiss, Rachele, Draper are linked at our first pick. Knevitt has appealing height, but i personally don't want him. He has a super strange ball drop, according to some of our fans who have watched him, he's got good hands and can distribute out of pressure, can take contested grabs, leads well but my thing is, he's a high risk high reward type prospect. Over the years, i've seen players with his hype/ height not really translate or a low success rate. Players that come to mind are your kemp's, Ely Smith's, RCD (who i rate), Philp, Will Brodie, Bonar, Constable, etc type players who have the physical/height attributes to exceed in the AFL but for whatever reason it doesn't translate and become busts. I wouldn't mind if we had a second rounder and took a punt on him but because we don't have one, i feel more assured by players who have been linked at our pick.
I Too Like To Live Dangerously GIFs | Tenor

I agree with this.
It is my view if Giants take Callaghan, which I think they should, the Sun's will take either Gibcus or Andrew at 5 (assuming bids).
I reckon there is a very reasonable chance that the other stays on the board all the way to the Giants next pick
I could see Richmond taking Andrew given Riewoldt has maybe 1 year left and their KPF depth just left. And given their glute of picks in the top 30, they could afford to take longer term prospect given they should still get some ready-to-go top talents with their other picks. But they are rumoured to be very into Hobbs and he really fixes a big need of theirs so it could be line-ball call.

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  4. Crows - Callaghan (flip 2022 1sts)
  5. Gold Coast Suns - Gibcus
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Hawthorn - Ward
  8. Fremantle - Erasmus
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  12. West Coast Eagles - Johnson
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  14. Port Adelaide - Wanganeen-Milera
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  16. Brisbane Lions - Bazzo
  17. Richmond - Goater
  18. Sydney Swans - Sonsie
  19. Melbourne - Van Rooyen
  20. Brisbane Lions - Wilmot

Or

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  4. Hawks - Callaghan (flip 2022 1sts)
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Crows - Rachele
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Erasmus
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  17. Richmond - Goater

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Hawthorn - Ward
  8. Fremantle - Erasmus
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  17. Richmond - Goater

Or

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Crows - Rachele
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Erasmus
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  17. Richmond - Goater
If i'm a Brisbane supporter, i'd be spewing if we missed out on Goater and Sinn!

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Hawthorn - Ward
  8. Fremantle - Erasmus
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  17. Richmond - Goater

Or

1. North Melbourne - JHF
  2. Bulldogs - Darcy
  3. Collingwood - Daicos
  6. GWS Giants - Andrew
  7. Crows - Rachele
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Erasmus
  13. Essendon - Knevitt
  15. GWS Giants - Butler
  17. Richmond - Goater
I don’t believe Essendon go Knevitt.

I would be really p!ssed if Brisbane went Bazzo ahead of Sinn or Goater at our first selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back