Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there is a difference between the two types of players - I'm not denying that. The point was: players who are devoid of opportunity will more often than not look at their opinions.
And my point was, there is more opportunity for smaller players due to the larger number of best 22 positions that they can fit into.

In the last final of the year, we played a key position defender as our key forward. I'm neglecting absolutely nothing.
Is a KPF draftee going to be best 22 in our team over the next four years, yes or no?

Let's say JVR, Bazzo and Wilmot (or someone I haven't mentioned that could be there) are available at our second pick, who are you taking? Obviously who we take with our first pick impacts this but let's ignore that for now.
Wilmot. Gives us more skills off the half-back line and as the youngest player in the draft he has plenty of room to grow into his body.

Is a KPF draftee going to be best 22 in our team over the next four years, yes or no?
It is possible.
If we don’t win a Grand Final in the next 2 years with Daniher on the list we very well could move him on.
If we don’t atleast make a Grand Final this year we may move on from Dan McStay or Hippy if his knee looks like taking much longer to recover and has complications.
You never really know what is around the corner.
Fages might leave in a couple of years and a few leave with him? Anything is possible and part of list management is to be ready for all scenarios.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m another who agrees 2023 makes more sense to me to look for KPP talent via the draft.

Of course it depends who is available at our picks this year, but I haven’t been overly impressed with this years KPP prospects. Particularly looking at a lot of the WA kids height. I really want 200cm+ KPP’s if they’re going to be a first or second defender or forward.

There’s more and more of the mobile, athletic 200cm kids coming in who are going to be difficult matchups in the near future.

Sam Darcy who’s going father son to the Bulldogs is reportedly 204cm with close to the athleticism and leap of the King twins. Even Harris is going to struggle with a player that size.

I can make a case for Mac Andrew as a future ruck forward, who might possibly contribute around the ground as well.

But 195cm, not very athletic kids look like a reach in the first round of the draft.

I think you need a balance in your team including the backline. Although there are becoming more 200cm forwards in the competition I think it would be a mistake to overload your backline with guys who that tall. We already have Andrews and Payne who are over 199cm. That gives us two guys (one very young) who can compete with those super tall guys.

Then you have guys like JUH and McDonald who were drafted in the top 4 last year. There are always going to be plenty of guys that size and usually the Coleman winners are in the 195 - 200 bracket. Having a 195 quality defender with good skills and can provide plenty of run the other way is a great addition in any team and we certainly need to start to develop one or two of those guys.

Whilst we are talking about 200cm defenders I mentioned in the Academy thread that I wouldn't mind seeing 17 year old Liam McNiell given a go in defense. He is currently a ruck who rests forward but he is a fairly fluid athlete and a guy I think could be good in defense. It would be great to see him tried there next year to see how he goes. If he shows promise he could be an under the radar, Andrews type addition to the team.

I think you need a balance in your team including the backline. Although there are becoming more 200cm forwards in the competition I think it would be a mistake to overload your backline with guys who that tall. We already have Andrews and Payne who are over 199cm. That gives us two guys (one very young) who can compete with those super tall guys.

Then you have guys like JUH and McDonald who were drafted in the top 4 last year. There are always going to be plenty of guys that size and usually the Coleman winners are in the 195 - 200 bracket. Having a 195 quality defender with good skills and can provide plenty of run the other way is a great addition in any team and we certainly need to start to develop one or two of those guys.

Whilst we are talking about 200cm defenders I mentioned in the Academy thread that I wouldn't mind seeing 17 year old Liam McNiell given a go in defense. He is currently a ruck who rests forward but he is a fairly fluid athlete and a guy I think could be good in defense. It would be great to see him tried there next year to see how he goes. If he shows promise he could be an under the radar, Andrews type addition to the team.
That’s what I had in the back of my mind, as another reason why I wouldn’t necessarily go for a KPP with our first two picks.

There’s likely to be a few available around our third pick this year. Aleer and Dean as young mature age prospects. Rentsch from GWV Rebels.

Promising type.
Does look to have that Dangerfield-esque hit or miss style by foot but also a bit of a bontempelli style handball over the packs with his height.

Has been a lot of talk about Josh Goater in this thread over recent months - the latest AFL Draft highlights video is his for those interested:

Seems to have really good vision in close to get it out to someone in a bit of space.

Has been a lot of talk about Josh Goater in this thread over recent months - the latest AFL Draft highlights video is his for those interested:

Except for some of his kicking, he’s got everything I want in our midfield.

Would probably start outside or behind the ball, before moving inside.

Work on his kick, and he’ll be a very dangerous inside outside mid once he puts on size at an AFL team.

Work on his kick, and he’ll be a very dangerous inside outside mid once he puts on size at an AFL team.
Could start at half-back work with Rich as a mentor learning how to kick played a fair bit of juniors in defence

Could start at half-back work with Rich as a mentor learning how to kick played a fair bit of juniors in defence
I’d prefer Prior to play back and have Goater on the wing in front of him. He sounds like the type of player who has the right attitude and temperament to spend a year in the reserves, work on his game and body, before coming in, in his second year.

Would you do pick 18 and our future first to secure him? Maybe getting a future second or third back.

No has a great templement sure but looks likely a top 15 pick who could actually fall to Us without a trade
Could happen but is unlikely and would take a bit of luck, I probably would make a deal like that. Hopefully we're not planning to use our future first just for points only and if the recruiter's agree that Goater is one of the better prospects we could get I think we should do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back