Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Now don’t hold me to this but I think they have a 5 metre exclusion zone around the man on the mark. Where no player from the defending team can be in that area.

Also with the latitude the player with the ball will get before being called play on, any player should be able to get around the man on the mark with little issue.

A rule like this though is likely to be strictly enforced for the first month then they will become lax on it and only randomly pay it and give teams a lot more latitude.

All I feel this will cause is teams to keep more players behind the ball to stop quick movement. I’m sure the coaches will be working overtime on using the rule to their advantage. Coaches are much smarter than the rules committee.

Another way around it could be to stand 1m behind the mark, then you are free to move straight forward 1m or sideways any amount to cut off the running player provided you don't go up to the line of the mark. However in this scenario the umpire must judge whether you are standing the mark or just in general play. I see a swarm of 50m penalties coming.

Constant rule changes where they don't think through the implications does my head in.

Form a committee and that committee needs to find a way to justify its job.

Another way around it could be to stand 1m behind the mark, then you are free to move straight forward 1m or sideways any amount to cut off the running player provided you don't go up to the line of the mark. However in this scenario the umpire must judge whether you are standing the mark or just in general play. I see a swarm of 50m penalties coming.

Constant rule changes where they don't think through the implications does my head in.

In this morning's interview Clarko has called it early and said good luck to the umpires who will have to adjudicate up to 250-300 instances of a player manning the mark

6 6 6 is a joke and has greatly reduced scoring.

Now you always have 12 players clogging up each forward 50m zone. Previously coaches would often push 3 or 4 players up to the edge of the square or even the wing which would open space in the forward 50. If they have to have a rule it should be that you can't have more then 6 defenders in the 50 at each centre bounce but if you want to you can have less.

If you go near the mark the umpire will call “stand” at which point you can’t move. It’s like some twisted game of Simon says.

I could be wrong but the way I read it if you are the only one in the area and not immediately leaving as soon as the marks taken you have to take the mark or it’s 50. Otherwise the umpire just picks the closest person if there’s a group.

TBF it will increase scoring massively if umpires are paying 20+ 50 meters a game

Only a matter of time before umps are marking the grounds with spray paint.
So if the process of setting up is more convoluted, don’t the defending team get more time to set up?

Maybe marks should be paid and taken with no ‘play on’ where it’s the result of a contest, a tackle or a free kick or ooh on full etc

Uncontested mark? Play on

And they say a 50 will be awarded. How does that now work with the new interpretation of allowing play on during the move to the new mark?

Only a matter of time before umps are marking the grounds with spray paint.
players should wear caps, and when they catch the ball they can place their cap on the group, shout "MARK!" to the umpire and they go back, run up and cannot kick the ball before the cap if an opposition player is standing next to, but not on, the cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

players should wear caps, and when they catch the ball they can place their cap on the group, shout "MARK!" to the umpire and they go back, run up and cannot kick the ball before the cap if an opposition player is standing next to, but not on, the cap.
You fool! - you've just given them the 2022 revisions!

No idea if this has already been announced, but I've heard first hand Jackson Callow, tall forward from Tasmania who missed out on being drafted this year, has been invited to train with Hawthorn
Davo-27 if this is correct then you'll be stoked about Callow being invited to train with us. On a side note you got to wonder if the writing is on the wall for Patton.

No idea if this has already been announced, but I've heard first hand Jackson Callow, tall forward from Tasmania who missed out on being drafted this year, has been invited to train with Hawthorn

I can’t like this enough. A tall forward is exactly what Hawthorn need.

Looks a bit slow for mine. Barely any highlights of his work at ground level which concerns me.
Yeah I can se where you're coming from but I do like the strength, timing and game sense that the vision shows,
...hate to bring up his name but he reminds me a little of Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back