Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure we would entertain another tall down back either. With Rotham and possibly Brander as 3rd tall options, what would Williams role be down there? Presumably Barrass or Gov to the bench if Bailey is down back, but that would really make ruck rotations and key backline match ups a nightmare to co-ordinate. I just don't see Bailey ever playing backline to be honest.

In my opinion, the ideal would be to play a defensive seven and have Barrass at full back, the second ruck at CHB and allow McGovern to roam as a marking spare as much as possible.

When Naitanui goes off the ground, McGovern moves to CHB and Rotham or Hurn (or Brander) assumes the role as the floating defensive spare.

The too many good talls conderum!!! I know Simmo said Allen is done with the ruck, so are we looking at playing a smaller ruck when NN is resting like Dunkley or Grigg did. We simply can't play Kennedy, Darling, Allen and then a resting ruck.

Love for the game versus Port, we don't play Kennedy so we get a look at Allen and Darling as the key forwards which is essentially next years key forward set up. Not saying we don't play Kennedy round 1, just want to see it.

Ideally:
Cripps Darling Langdon
Ryan Allen Jones

In my opinion, the ideal would be to play a defensive seven and have Barrass at full back, the second ruck at CHB and allow McGovern to roam as a marking spare as much as possible.

When Naitanui goes off the ground, McGovern moves to CHB and Rotham or Hurn (or Brander) assumes the role as the floating defensive spare.
That could work well, but how do they line up at the bounce keeping in mind the 666 rule?
Assuming you are pinching the spare man from the forward line, do you start with say Nelson or Cole on a wing and Sheed on hff and they both push back once the ball up happens so, Cole/Nelson push back in defence and Sheed pushes up onto the wing?

Joshua Dawe

@joshuadawe9

·
9m

Tim Kelly has moved away from the main group
@WestCoastEagles
for a bit of a running test. Luke Shuey back training and Jackson Nelson (hamstring) also taking part in drills.
@9NewsPerth

That could work well, but how do they line up at the bounce keeping in mind the 666 rule?
Assuming you are pinching the spare man from the forward line, do you start with say Nelson or Cole on a wing and Sheed on hff and they both push back once the ball up happens so, Cole/Nelson push back in defence and Sheed pushes up onto the wing?

Ugh 666 rule is the devil.

Question is, where would he play when Naitanui is in the ruck?

Whoever plays that second ruck role, will be spending about 60% of their time on ground in another position whilst Naitanui is contesting.

Kennedy, Darling, Allen are certainties up forward, and if Waterman plays then he's probably running around there as well.

The forward line is already too tall long before any consideration can be made of adding Williams to it as well.

This is where it is disappointing that the club to date (considering the overabundance of key forward options) have never tried Williams in defence.

If there was a confidence in his ability to be able to slot in as a defensive pillar, he would be a certain starter from Round 1 all year long without any hesitation.

Personally, I would at the very least be playing him in defence in preseason matches to see what he can do there and if it is a viable option for Round 1.
Bailey played a few games for Dandenong Stingrays at CHB so I see no issue going into a game with Gov and Barrass and he can give them a spell. Problem is that that screws up the development for Rotham and Brander (assuming we ever play Brander in the position that made him a worthy of being a first round draft pick).

I cannot see Waterman being right for round 1 and a back issue spells problems. In the scenario that we have Oscar, JK and Jack playing, then Jack would be the ideal high forward. Let's face it, the KPF's are between wing and HBF when the oppo are in their own forward line so not sure what a high hald forward is.

The too many good talls conderum!!! I know Simmo said Allen is done with the ruck, so are we looking at playing a smaller ruck when NN is resting like Dunkley or Grigg did. We simply can't play Kennedy, Darling, Allen and then a resting ruck.

Love for the game versus Port, we don't play Kennedy so we get a look at Allen and Darling as the key forwards which is essentially next years key forward set up. Not saying we don't play Kennedy round 1, just want to see it.

Ideally:
Cripps Darling Langdon
Ryan Allen Jones

Dont we need to alternate the forward structure, 2-3 talls, 4-3 smalls. I can see Ryan rolling through the middle more with an extra pre season.

What role does Simmo have planned for Oscar?

Dont we need to alternate the forward structure, 2-3 talls, 4-3 smalls. I can see Ryan rolling through the middle more with an extra pre season.

What role does Simmo have planned for Oscar?
Yeah I think it's always fluid, Ryan could start centre bounces and then push forward swapping with a Dom Sheed.

Simmo, mentioned Oscar was too good a forward to pinch hit in the ruck and implied he'd spend his time forward.

Correct, simply side players up and down on one side of the ground.

The team is currently a massive outlier in the competition for creating scores from centre bounces, so getting back defensively from a 6-6-6 reset isn't necessarily as big a problem as it could pose for other clubs.

Sheppard talking up Harry Edwards as being a special prospect

Also promising from that article

West Coast played about one quarter of match simulation on Tuesday, with fellow youngster Zane Trew another standout with his ball-winning in the midfield and clean kicking inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thing with 33. It got me thinking - I do not believe Ainsworth is in our best 33.

Can anyone seriously name 10 players less promising that Mr 33?

Here is my attempt at the players I think Ainsworth is ahead of (for now at least):-

Foley (I see him as bolt in Mr 42, dear in the headlines and all that stuff)
Johnson (only in his second year so possibly a bit tough and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
L. Edwards (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Winder (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Cameron (the version we saw in 2020 but his 2019 was way ahead of Mr 33)
Venables (only if he cannot get back on the park)
Rioli (only because WADA won't let him play)

Also promising from that article

West Coast played about one quarter of match simulation on Tuesday, with fellow youngster Zane Trew another standout with his ball-winning in the midfield and clean kicking inside 50.

To be honest, with Yeo, Shuey and Kelly sidelined, just about any kind of ball-winning will stand out at the moment.

Good signs nonetheless though - amazing what happens when you recruit an out-and-out midfielder.

If true that H.Edwards is now in that 200-201cm range, he becomes a genuine option for that secondary ruck role, which presents an interesting selection dilemma.

Duggan still being deployed in the midfield - looks certain now that is where he will be doing most of his work this year.

Intraclub match planned for Friday.

If true that H.Edwards is now in that 200-201cm range, he becomes a genuine option for that secondary ruck role, which presents an interesting selection dilemma.

Duggan still being deployed in the midfield - looks certain now that is where he will be doing most of his work this year.

Intraclub match planned for Friday.
Having our backup ruckman rest in defence instead of up front makes so much sense.

Funny thing with 33. It got me thinking - I do not believe Ainsworth is in our best 33.

Here is my attempt at the players I think Ainsworth is ahead of (for now at least):-

Johnson (only in his second year so possibly a bit tough and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
L. Edwards (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)
Winder (new boy so not expected in preseason and expect him ahead by the end 2021)

Jamieson (see Johnson)
Ah Chee (spare parts)
Vardy (spare parts ruckman)
Trew (not sure one good match sim puts him ahead of Ainsworth this early in his career)

With Harry coming along so well as a genuine KPD does that put Brander even further back in the pecking order? Maybe the hybrid tall winger is his only chance to crack into this team.

Having our backup ruckman rest in defence instead of up front makes so much sense.
I feel you dont see many ruck/kpd because you need your defence to be set up. You cant pull people out of there whenever you like. You cant really rest in defence either. Where forwards can literally rest in the goal square.

Tony Godden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back