Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do i read the same Harry Edwards has grown X amount of centimeters and is now over 200cm article every season?

Remember this gaiz? Back in Jan 2020....

"He shot up 10cm in the year before he was drafted, and has added another five centimetres plus 10kg to his 200cm and 93kg frame over the past 12 months."

And now a year later they are saying the same thing has happened again.

Edwards is listed as 197cm on the Eagles' website but returned to training this year having added another 3-4cm, according to teammate Brad Sheppard.

He is now as tall as ruck pair Nathan Vardy and Bailey Williams, who he has also worked with this pre-season as a back-up option if injuries hit the Eagles' big man department.

So he's had a growth spurt. And then had another growth spurt. All in the space of 2 years?

And low and behold is STILL listed as 197cm on the clubs website. Footy wire has gotten on board at least.

1613523871377.png

Why do i read the same Harry Edwards has grown X amount of centimeters and is now over 200cm article every season?

Remember this gaiz? Back in Jan 2020....

"He shot up 10cm in the year before he was drafted, and has added another five centimetres plus 10kg to his 200cm and 93kg frame over the past 12 months."

And now a year later they are saying the same thing has happened again.

Edwards is listed as 197cm on the Eagles' website but returned to training this year having added another 3-4cm, according to teammate Brad Sheppard.

He is now as tall as ruck pair Nathan Vardy and Bailey Williams, who he has also worked with this pre-season as a back-up option if injuries hit the Eagles' big man department.

So he's had a growth spurt. And then had another growth spurt. All in the space of 2 years?

And low and behold is STILL listed as 197cm on the clubs website. Footy wire has gotten on board at least.

View attachment 1059663
He’s actually 203 cm but Nic Nat has a clause in his contract ensuring that he’s always listed as the tallest player in the club

He’s actually 203 cm but Nic Nat has a clause in his contract ensuring that he’s always listed as the tallest player in the club

Always thought clubs don't show the true height and weight of players. Stick with what they were when drafted with maybe one update and then silence.

Oscar Allen looks taller than what is listed as does Darling.

I suppose clubs don't like flagging real numbers to the opposition for what its worth.

Barrass needs to sort out his one on one defence or he could easily lose his spot to one of the up and commers in the next few seasons. He can play the intercept role well but that is clearly Gov's.

When on form is great at shutting players down (see his first half in GF against Cox) but seems to have lost his mojo since 2019. Goes through patches where he bizarrely gets the right position but miss times his leap or sometimes the swing of his arm to spoil. Then will snap back into it and play a couple of great games. Has been shocking in the back end of both 2019 and 2020 (arguably lost us that final last year in 5 mins against Cox).

Does it make selection an issue with Barrass and Gov in the future? We could do with a decent KPD that can nullify gorillas.

We couldnt deal with Mason Cox on the day.
Jeremy McGovern will be 29 in April.

Training notes , Mark Duffield

Kelly and Shuey spent a chunk of the session away from the main group and instead ran laps . Shuey however took part in a quarter of match simulation and Kelly took part in goal kicking practice , Kelly looks fitter and trimmer than this time last year .
Nelson ran strongly on the way back from a hamstring injury , Bailey Williams also ran laps before joining the main group for goal kicking practice . Jeremy McGovern and S Hurn looking fit.
Zane Trew slid down the order , but is worth keeping an eye on . Came gliding out of the middle three times during match simulation and delivered lazer-like passes to forwards , has plenty of skill after a bit of a nothing year in Colts last year .

Adlibbing not all M Duffield !!

So all the talk up of Harry, at 200 plus (I will leave it to Darksharks to stir up Gary Stocks as to 197 v 200 v 203 cm). where do we play him?

That height and assuming he also has the muscle sees him as a lockdown defender. Thanks to Richmond in last year's GF, we saw a KPD as a backup ruck. With Blicavs and De Koning at Geelong, Aliir^2, Balta, Mooore and Roughead at Pies, Keeffe, Koschitzke and Norf's McKay - are we seeing a possible shift from the KPF/Ruck to a KPD/Ruck?

Big Forwards have often been prima donnas and the likes of Danniher are put in the ruck to get him in the game. The big guys who play forward and ruck are also more injury prone (comes with rucking).

So do we have both Williams and Harry Edwards as a couple who could break the mold at West Coast?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play Trew off a flank in 2021 I am going to flip some ******* tables

They've earmarked him for the elite decoy wingman space filling running patterns.

Trew is what excites me and i hope he is given a crack for the pre-season games.

Trew could well surprise a few people this season as he is, in my opinion, a lot closer to being AFL ready than most new draftees.
He is one of those players who is capable of stepping in from Day one if required.
I was rapt when we were able to pick him up in the rookie draft.

Watched a bit of him in the WAFL and he has a wonderful ability to get the ball out to a position of advantage for his team mates.
He is a genuine extractor and does his best work at the coal face.
Also a very good tackler.

Needless to say I am optimistic as to the production that he will bring to the list.

To have been able to pick him and Winder up with such late picks was a bloody marvel.

Last edited:
Trew could well surprise a few people this season as he is, in my opinion, a lot closer to being AFL reddy than most new draftees.
He is one of those players who is capable of stepping in from Day one if required.

Watched a bit of him in the WAFL and he has a wonderful ability to get the ball out to a position of advantage for his team mates.

Needless to say I am optimistic as to the production that he will bring to the list.

To have been able to pick him and Winder up with such late picks was a bloody marvel.

WEST COAST EAGLES

After sliding in the draft and attracting headlines last December – former state Under 18s coach Peter Sumich bluntly said the WA product “gets the sooks a bit if things don’t go his way” – rookie Zane Trew has impressed in his first pre-season at the Eagles. The West Australian recently reported Trew was a standout during a club match simulation, delivering “laser-like passes to forwards”. A Round 1 debut for Trew seems a long shot, but the early signs have been promising.

We could be thanking Suma for years with those comments. :thumbsu: ;):cool:

Also said our window is closing..........hopefully the boys take note of all the non hype this year on us. We seem to play better when people start writing us off.

Trew could well surprise a few people this season as he is, in my opinion, a lot closer to being AFL reddy than most new draftees.

And just think if we held onto our 2nd rounder we could have had Carroll as well.:think::rolleyes:

Carroll been impressing at Carlton preseason sessions.

Now that would have been massive. Carroll, Edwards, Winder and Trew.

We seem to play better when people start writing us off.

WCE v Expectations

In the last decade our best 3 seasons were 2011(made prelim), 2015(made GF) and 2018(Sheed from the boundary)

The common denominator in each of those seasons was the almost complete absence of expectation that we’d do well.

We did ok in 2012 before collapsing in 2013, whilst in 2016/17 and 2019/20 we bombed out in either the 1st or 2nd week of finals despite being among, if not the, premiership favourites

And whilst we missed finals in Simpsons first year as coach I’d suggest that a 9th place finish was above expectations coming off a poor 2013 - only missed finals thanks to Sydney losing to Richmond at the SCG by 3 points

The more people write us off the better as far as I’m concerned - like a 4WD in soft sand we do better with deflated tyres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back