Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair amount of sideways action but he is just so self assured and hits the one on one contests really hard as well. If duggan is playing full midfield and we assume we have witherden playing as a distributor that leaves 2 spots for cole, rotham and nelson. Personally i'd be taking Rotham because he's easily the best defender and interceptor and Nelson because of his attack on the ball and ability further up the ground. Any of the 3 not playing could consider themselves unlucky though.
I’d much rather Rotham than Nelson, and potentially even Witherden until he forces his way in.

Rewatching and Vardy wasn't that terrible. He has zero connection with the mids, which is strange but his ruck work was serviceable, especially as Meek tired.

I think he'll be fine rucking 40-45% Wasn't bad up forward either. Almost clunked a couple and if you do that and finish them, it's a good day at the office.

He looks to have lost a bit of strength. Maybe slimmed him down a bit to help with injury management/risk.

I think Rotham , Nelson and Cole should be in before Witherden. After all, a defender has got to defend

Totally agree Witherden defending isnt great and is a little slow, kicking is good but needs more confidence
Rotham has speed that Nelson Cole and Witherden dont have and is a better one on one defender than those 3
Nelson provides mongrel and Cole when in form can provide drive but is suspect one on one at times

Trouble with vardy, is that he really just doesn't bring anything to the table these days.

He's not this big bodied chop out player for NN anymore, because 3rd string Meek literally monstered him. If anyone was meek it was Vardy. Get it?

He's not a forward, because he never clunks marks or kicks goals (2018 GF aside). I'm having flash backs of 2019..... god he was awful. Didn't kick a single goal from 11 appearances and averaged an equal career low 0.5 contested marks a game.

He doesn't link up around the ground or get involved. He isn't a presence. He's just a nothing bit of support at the moment.

I'd almost rather play Edwards as support if Bailey is hurt, because i think he might at least offer something outside of the ruck contest.

Trouble with vardy, is that he really just doesn't bring anything to the table these days.

He's not this big bodied chop out player for NN anymore, because 3rd string Meek literally monstered him. If anyone was meek it was Vardy. Get it?

He's not a forward, because he never clunks marks or kicks goals (2018 GF aside). I'm having flash backs of 2019..... god he was awful. Didn't kick a single goal from 11 appearances and averaged an equal career low 0.5 contested marks a game.

He doesn't link up around the ground or get involved. He isn't a presence. He's just a nothing bit of support at the moment.

I'd almost rather play Edwards as support if Bailey is hurt, because i think he might at least offer something outside of the ruck contest.
The prior week he got Monstered, I fully agree.

Sunday he provided pressure around the ball, he sorted out Meek taking the ball straight out of the ruck, won his share of taps.

He's not in great form but he contributed. I'm on the Bailey train, when fit but I'm over the Allen rucking scenario esp vs guys like Witts.

Vardy is fine. Not great, not good even but serviceable and an asset to be expended as required.

Rewatching and Vardy wasn't that terrible. He has zero connection with the mids, which is strange but his ruck work was serviceable, especially as Meek tired.

I think he'll be fine rucking 40-45% Wasn't bad up forward either. Almost clunked a couple and if you do that and finish them, it's a good day at the office.

He looks to have lost a bit of strength. Maybe slimmed him down a bit to help with injury management/risk.

Vardy just need to get and stay fit. Something he has rarely achieved but when he is fit and gets a few games under his belt he is a pretty decent player.

It is easy to put a player down at AFL when they are playing under their best fitness levels. Remember Vardy is there to nullify an oppositions #1 ruck and break even or beat the #2 ruck. He is more of a forward than a ruck and as he showed in the 2018GF can pop up and kick a goal under pressure.

If young Williams was fit he'd be in the team but he isn't. So that leaves Vardy to do his role in the squad as a backup. Hopefully he can get and stay fit enough like he did in 2018.

One of the other positives from the game was that they swung Allen down back for a bit and of course he did well. Having that versatility and using Edwards in the ruck tells me that they are looking at shuffling our talls between Fwd, Back and Ruck to support Nic and keep Allen out of the ruck.

Meek hardly monstered him at all. I’d say it was equal, at the least, from what I remember at the game. You do realise he hasn’t played a match in a year and a half? Maybe give him a bit more time before writing him off.

Vardy just need to get and stay fit. Something he has rarely achieved but when he is fit and gets a few games under his belt he is a pretty decent player.

It is easy to put a player down at AFL when they are playing under their best fitness levels. Remember Vardy is there to nullify an oppositions #1 ruck and break even or beat the #2 ruck. He is more of a forward than a ruck and as he showed in the 2018GF can pop up and kick a goal under pressure.

If young Williams was fit he'd be in the team but he isn't. So that leaves Vardy to do his role in the squad as a backup. Hopefully he can get and stay fit enough like he did in 2018.

Why would Bailey just be an automatic selection if fit? I’m not sure it‘s a fair assumption to make - we’re picking players on what they’ll provide in their position, not based on how young they are. I‘m not sure Bailey would offer more than Vards at this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meek hardly monstered him at all. I’d say it was equal, at the least, from what I remember at the game. You do realise he hasn’t played a match in a year and a half? Maybe give him a bit more time before writing him off.

Why would Bailey just be an automatic selection if fit? I’m not sure it‘s a fair assumption to make - we’re picking players on what they’ll provide in their position, not based on how young they are. I‘m not sure Bailey would offer more than Vards at this time.

Firstly very few players are automatic selections. And neither of these two are even close to that level.

From reports and observing Williams if fit IMO he would be ahead of Vardy. Sure form in practice matches is the real test in preseason but William's injured.

We don't pick youth for the hell of it.

Williams is a much better player than Vardy, it's not even close

Yeah I’m not a fan of playing Vardy just because his “position” is ruck. It’s different if it’s someone like Lycett who is a presence in ruck contests or if he actually offers something around the ground, but he doesn’t really do either.

If we’re picking someone who’s sole job is to “not lose” centre bounces I’d rather just pick from the guys we’ve got out there and play an extra runner or instead play someone like Edwards who is pretty handy in another position.

Yeah I’m not a fan of playing Vardy just because his “position” is ruck. It’s different if it’s someone like Lycett who is a presence in ruck contests or if he actually offers something around the ground, but he doesn’t really do either.

If we’re picking someone who’s sole job is to “not lose” centre bounces I’d rather just pick from the guys we’ve got out there and play an extra runner or instead play someone like Edwards who is pretty handy in another position.
Edwards other position is FB though. He wont be playing there if he is back up ruck.

Edwards other position is FB though. He wont be playing there if he is back up ruck.

The back up ruck needs to be capable to play another position though. No good being a backup for one position and sit on the pine for the remainder of the game.

You want the backup ruck to be a handy back up KP forward or back. Why I was and am still keen on Miller at Richmond.

Edwards was better than vardy in the ruck, after the ruck and around the ground. He even took a mark. Vardy has just lost the ability to mark or be a forward threat. I can only see Edwards getting a game if McGovern or barrass are out. Until Williams is back he should be pushed. He looked quite good

Edwards’ mobility would be a lot more useful as a backup ruck though. You could throw him forward or back and you could trust him to hold his own in either a ground contest or in the air. Vardy just seems to be plugging a hole at backup ruck and being a liability if he’s not rucking. Whether that’s around the ground or just wasting space and rotations on the bench.

Watching spurts of most games over the weekend, 2nd ruck options don’t look great for a lot of clubs. GWS were using Callan Ward at some ruck contests. Trial game, for sure, but I think we will be ok whoever we choose.

So I’ve got no issue using Vardy until Williams is fit, although the benefit of Edwards is more about getting him games at this level. At least with Vardy he can rest in the forward line and provide a marking target down the line when we inevitably have to. Saves a rotation we can use to keep Nic fresh for his bursts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back