Review 2021 R1, Port beats North

Remove this Banner Ad

I said at our peak in 2004 and Wanganeen played mainly forward in 2001 and 2004
Given the reliance we had on Wanganeen even at his age, compared to Gray being an absolute bonus atm, I'm taking today's fwds.

Gray can be carried today.

Given the reliance we had on Wanganeen even at his age, compared to Gray being an absolute bonus atm, I'm taking today's fwds.

Gray can be carried today.
As I said, I think today's is better than 2004, but there isn't daylight difference between the two.

Comfortable win, never looked in doubt once the third-party assistance for North expired in the second term.

Bad luck for Bonner, a couple of weeks off at least solves some selection issues.

Too organised, too composed, too skilful. The wave running was good; the contested stuff left a little to be desired but evryone contributed in some way.

Jonas - Benefit of having Aliir is freeing up Tommy to be that defender who is too big for the half-forward. Kept his positioning well and was impassable beyond half-back. 7/10

Burton - Looks big this year. Used the ball well and controlled his back flank. Would like to see him providing more run from behind, maybe he is still cautious with the legs, but won his position today and had 19 disposals. 7/10

Marshall - Didn't get a lot of it, but had a presence in the forward line, maybe for the first time. Took a couple of contested marks when defenders were drawn to Dixon, and booted 2 goals in a serviceable performance that will keep Georgi at bay. 6/10

Houston - Superb today as the running half-back. 23 touches with 15 precise kicks, including Pig's Kick Of The Week to set up Toddy. 8/10

Motlop - One of our best as a high half-forward. Ignored doing the spectacular in favour of doing the basics well, and looked far more damaging. Must be feeling pressure of Fantas arrival, and I think Marvel suits him, but an excellent start to the season. 8/10

Duursma - Looked a little bit off. Got the rough end of the whistle a couple of times which affected his confidence, but finished with a nice goal. Only 12 disposals, and one of the few players who looked like he was running in mud. 4/10

Gray - Pretty good, did what he needed to do and seemed to be in reasonable form. Set up at least 3 goals for others, and always draws the best defender to allow the other small forwards to dominate. 6/10

Boak - Brilliant, a continuation of 2020. The best example any young bloke could have, just busts his arse running. Should recover from a corky quickly with his professionalism, but even with it and being placed at full-forward in the last, he was still bolting up and down the ground. Spiritual captain still. 9/10

Rockliff - Sub rule is going to be good for Rocky. Came on when bonner pinged his string, andquickly racked up 9 touches, with a couple of little handballs in close freeing our wings Butters and Amon. Might start on ground next week, just to get some run in his legs, but is by no means finished. 5/10

Fantasia - We robbed Essendon blind with a second rounder for this bloke! Looks so dangerous as a forward pocket under Charlie - his finishing looks first class and he probably should have kicked 6. but we'll take 4 any day. Great recruit for the club, allows Butters to go midfield and might free Robbie up from the close attention too. 9/10

Bergman - On debut, so I won't be too harsh, but he dropped a couple of marks, missed some important short passes and was brushed off in several attempted tackles. Looks like he should make it as a footballer, and there were some glimpses of talent, but his spot in the team would be tenuous and dependant on Hamish's fitness. 3/10

Amon - Love the way that Karl goes about it, he now never worries about contact and focuses on getting the ball. Knows when to dive in and when to lurk outside, and looks so classy when he gets it in space. Crucial cog in the machine now. 7/10

Wines - 26 touches today but nowhere near his usual influence. Saw him get bumped off the line a couple of times, and knocked over in packs, which is atypical for the bulldozer. Got burnt by Fanta when running into open goal in the second, and torched by the new STAND!!! rule as well. Overall, a frustrating day, but the fact that he still racked it up bodes well. 6/10

Clurey - Happy 100th game, what better way to celebrate than to play a team without a proper key forward. Had Walker mainly, who was the only North forward to get near a contested mark today, and generally TC controlled where he could run and kept him away from the goalface. A seasoned KPD now, and safe in this team. 7/10

Butters - Resumed his battle with Ziebel, and is still laughing at the North skipper! So clean and creative with his hands, so brave and classy when up forward. We are a 5 goal better team with Zac in it. 16 touches does not do justice to his influence. 8/10

Aliir - Another smart piece of recruiting. Has usurped McKenzie in the team, and is so much more that Trent as a defender. Plants himself in the dump zone for the oppo, and reads the flight really well. Had several intercept marks today, and looks so happy to be playing for a contender. Needs to wear a mouthguard! 8/10

Dixon - Slow start, dominated by McKay early but got on top when the tide of possession went our way. Gifted a goal bu Zak, and kicked 1 of 2 sets shots, so a pretty typical day. Need to hold more marks in front of his face. 6/10

Farrell - I don't see it, I'm afraid. Looks lacksadaisical, lacks intensity and if he's not kicking those goals from outside 50 than he's not bringing much to the table. Must be discussed as a possible out. 2/10

Bonner - Wing looks like his spot, he is a two-sided player with a damaging kick but little defensive nous. Was going well until twanging the hammy; will miss a couple but be straight back in when fit. 6/10

Drew - Good return, looks at home in an AFL midfield. Only 16 touches, but 9 tackles and some noticeable inside work. Gets a game for the next few weeks on back of that effort. 7/10

Lycett - Wore Goldstein down over 4 quarters of thumping into him at every chance, and was rewarded with a goal. Looks fit, covered lots of ground and was involved in plenty of the play. 8/10

Byrne-Jones - Backing up an AA season with a good start to 2021, DBJ had a good game against the North half-forwards. Knows how to turn defence into attack in a blink, and showed good leadership befitting his elevation to a position of responsibility this year. 7/10

Ladhams - Did enough - with Lycett taking the honours against Goldstein, Pete was notionally a forward most of the day, but does more than the typical ruck/forward at ground level. 5/10

At our peak in 2004 there isn't much in it. Given James, Carr and Kornes tagging started in the middle, its:

Tredrea v Dixon
Thurstans v Marshall
Lade v Ladhams

Wanganeen v Gray
P Burgoyne v Motlop
Pickett v Rozee
Dew v Fantasia
Mahoney v Butters

White v Georgiades

Shaun Burgoyne played forward 2002 debut thru to middle of 2004 before Choco put him in the backlines.
I’ll happily take the 2004 edition, some of our all time greatest players

As I said, I think today's is better than 2004, but there isn't daylight difference between the two.
I like the upside of ours today.

Bar Gray and Dixon and Motlop, everyone today is actually got their best ahead of them. 2004 was the peaks for many of them. Rozee, Butters etc etc aren't even in 2nd gear.

I’ll happily take the 2004 edition, some of our all time greatest players
Don't get me wrong, I think they had the greats then.

Today we've got the depth and options which suits the modern game much better.

You can't just kick to Tredrea all the time. We'd get smashed. Just like when we are Dixon centric in recent years.

Is it just me, or did macron semi fix the guernsey issue? The guernsey didn’t look as horrid as it did in the preseason trial. Or is it just my imagination?

Don't get me wrong, I think they had the greats then.

Today we've got the depth and options which suits the modern game much better.

You can't just kick to Tredrea all the time. We'd get smashed. Just like when we are Dixon centric in recent years.
We didn’t get smashed very often for a 4 year period

we should have been the best side ever for that period 2001-2004

Feeling a bit flat after letting them score what they did. Twice they did 2 goals in a minute which was disappointing.

Not a bad performance overall but not a premiership team performance just yet. Rozee and SPP back at some point will help a lot.
Took us 1 quarter to beat them.

We didn’t get smashed very often for a 4 year period

we should have been the best side ever for that period 2001-2004
Well biggest loss ever for a Premier vs North was odd

I agree we should have been.

Add 2004 Coaching Panel and off field staff to the current crop, that'd be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see this group going somewhere, let’s hope we can compare 2 lots of premiership sides
Honestly. If they don't.... It's worse then 01-03.

Provided we don't get rediculously unlucky with injuries, it's 100% on us.

No reason why we can't end another dynasty. Emphatically.

And a premiership. This side at the moment cant be compared until it wins one.
3 epic fails before it too unfortunately.

C Cornes and Tredrea retiring with a single flag is an epic under achievement. You can't beat those 2 generational KPP at once.

I just hope I'm not saying the same about Gray and Boak. They deserve success.

Honestly. If they don't.... It's worse then 01-03.

Provided we don't get rediculously unlucky with injuries, it's 100% on us.

No reason why we can't end another dynasty. Emphatically.
In 2003 we went into September without our first ruck division - Primus, Francou and James.

People say we choked, but we can't win a flag without Lycett, Boak and Wines in September.

Enjoy watching forward entries that aren’t just bombed on Dixon’s head continually. The balance up forward is fantastic with multiple options.

It’s going to be hard to defend us and the back 6 and defensive setup looks solid.

Strap in, big year ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2021 R1, Port beats North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back