Review 2021 R1, Port beats North

Remove this Banner Ad

They did nothing wrong as the rule is written, that’s the thing. All you need is a doctors note to say he has an injury and they can come off.

If Corr was unable to play next week if he got subbed there is no way he goes off. They left it open to be rorted and it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely wrong. It needs to be reasonably determined the player will be unfit to play for the next 12 days.

So there really are no rules for bringing on the emergency sub?

The AFL initially said that for the medical sub to be activated, a doctor has to sign off on a certificate that the player was medically unable to continue. Either that rule didn't even last a week or David Noble is about to be in trouble.

Did you miss the doctors note part? That’s how they’re gaming it.

What do you mean by doctors note? Yes only the medical officer can be determine that the player is unfit to play. But if Noble is saying he could quite clearly the medical advice was that he was fit to continue. Or Noble had a disagreement with his medical staff.

Fantasia had a shot from about 40m out maybe 60 degree angle and passed it to Duursma and Dunstall said have a shot, you don't get to kick 5 goals to often. You also don't get to cost a punter $55k too often.

He missed a couple of gettable shots on goal today.

What do you mean by doctors note? Yes only the medical officer can be determine that the player is unfit to play. But if Noble is saying he could quite clearly the medical advice was that he was fit to continue. Or Noble had a disagreement with his medical staff.

No it’s quite clearly trying to be used as a tactical advantage when that wasn’t the idea behind the rule. There is nothing stopping a sore player being subbed and a medico saying they’re unable to continue to activate the sub. Said player recovers during the week and plays the following weeks even though the ‘original’ diagnosis was a 2 week injury.

If they did it correct from the start they say the subbed player cannot play the following week it takes this away. If they’re meant to be ‘medically unfit’ to play for 12 days to be subbed then why wasn’t the loophole closed to begin with? It’s a sub without being called a sub.

No it’s quite clearly trying to be used as a tactical advantage when that wasn’t the idea behind the rule. There is nothing stopping a sore player being subbed and a medico saying they’re unable to continue to activate the sub. Said player recovers during the week and plays the following weeks even though the ‘original’ diagnosis was a 2 week injury.

If they did it correct from the start they say the subbed player cannot play the following week it takes this away. If they’re meant to be ‘medically unfit’ to play for 12 days to be subbed then why wasn’t the loophole closed to begin with? It’s a sub without being called a sub.

David Noble allegedly said he could continue. He admitted to the crime!

Dixon 2.2
Marshall 2.1
Fantasia 4.4

Not a bad return from your 3 out-and-out forwards. Fantasia should've had 6 and I reckon Marshall and Dixon could've got another each. We've got a really solid forward mix these days and our midfield has a lot of scoring capacity as well. Fix up our kicking for goal and we'll put some big scores on the board this year
Yep - our 3 key forwards lost to North by 10 points, and with a bit more accuracy could have pinched the win. That spells danger for the opposition in coming weeks.

Duurs has taken Ebert's number and Ebert's run back and forward and not do much role.

You gotta give him a few weeks to work out the role, though you would figure he would replace Bonners role in the team.

We didn’t get smashed very often for a 4 year period

we should have been the best side ever for that period 2001-2004
When leading at 3/4 time in that period, we won 70 out of 71 games - the only loss was that final in 2001 against Hawthorn. This team still has much to prove, to measure up to such lofty standards, but the signs are excellent: let's hope they deliver when it counts most in September!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2003 we went into September without our first ruck division - Primus, Francou and James.

People say we choked, but we can't win a flag without Lycett, Boak and Wines in September.
Yes, And it’s always lost in the discussion. but we won the flag without the premier ruckman of the comp and one of the best mids we have ever had.

Poor start to the game. We were winning it around the ground but the umpires went in hard for north. That was embarrassing for the league. Htb became nonexistent as we caught player after player only to get a free paid against us time and time again as north players ducked into everything. North then really destroyed us in the centre.

Partway into the second I was wishing Rocky got the game over one of motlop, Farrell or Fantasia. The last one I was ready to drop as he had been a total non factor. Then we flipped a switch and took over. Our experienced heads in boak and Gray took over and the young kids followed. Orazio went ballistic with the opportunity, one thing I underrated is his forward craft. Give us a couple of months to teach him to stand stationary around packs and lead into congestion.

I absolutely think we need to play one of rockliff or spp to not get belted in the centre for patches.

Motlop - great workrate and ball use. Contract year motlop is good. Found space on the wing at will.

Boak - super star. Turned the tide.

Wines - slowish start and got better as game went on. In the fourth was supernova hot. Has become a totally different ball user. I want him to be a more dominant clearance winner though.

Lycett - did his part

Houston - one of our best players. Was absolutely everywhere. Would swear he is playing midfield until you realise he’s just running off his man like crazy. He’s in all Aus quality form and his partnership with Dbj as back line sweepers is pivotal. I don’t think there’s two offensive / defensive two way players as good playing together in the league.

Fantasia- was nowhere when we were getting beaten then blitzed them when we got on top. Way too fast and in the right places. I suspect he will be bad when we’re bad and brilliant when we’re dominant. 4 goals is a great return.

Drew - was super good defensively. Was disrupting north’s attempts to extract the ball with a right timed hand in a lane, or a desperate diving tackle. He’s maybe the best at it going around. Some great handballs through tackles. When he gets bigger he should bully opponents. Would like him to step up as a higher clearance player though where as right now he looks like someone’s robin, and we need Batman.

Butters - just a butters performance. Influencial with his touches and courage

Amon - some brilliant moments. Good game but was hoping to see him involved more. We need him getting 18-25d in the midfield cause he’s so dangerous

Burton - was a saviour next to Alir during that north purple patch. Great intercepting and smart reading. Safe player. Probably one of our best early before fading slightly as he was needed less. Some of if not the best instincts in our team.

Gray - very good I thought. His influence on the game was far greater than the stat sheet will show.

Clurey - good game. Him and Jonas didn’t give their opponents much. Couple of poor-ish moments though.

Dbj - usual Dbj hard performance

Ladhams - was very very poor first 3/4s. Didn’t compete much in the ruck, didn’t do a great deal up forward and was finding touches when in the ruck like is his trick. Started to build in the fourth and then the whistle went. He will need to perform better than this if hayes knocks on the door.

Marshall - good game. Got involved, had some brilliant touches with some exceptional kicks and handballs. There isn’t a kf in the league that can use the ball like Todd can. Competed in the air. Was disappointed in that tackle attempt. Normally a solid tackler and that was poor. Could see he was worried about giving away the high free kick as the player dropped. ****ing umpires. Still a bad effort in that tackle but overall a good game and he’s getting better all the time. Looks settled as an AFL player.

Duursma- pretty good without being great. At the moment he is one of many foot soldiers playing those wings / hff.

Bergman - had a brilliant run early that resulted in a goal down the other end and that the commentary spent the entire play talking about some pointless thing a north player did rather than pointing out Bergman’s workrate and speed was infuriating and why the dickhead boys club former players hold over football media should be ****ed off. Useless hacks. Great workrate, speed and reading of the play. Very good kick but made a few average decisions. Looks like another Houston / Dbj level player in the making.

Bonner - was looking very good before he went off. Hopefully it’s not too bad as it’s looking like a breakout year for Riley

Jonas - good game

Alir - had some great moments and formed a wall early with his intercepting but also had some horrific moments. That unnecessary spin move, not getting a hand to that Walker mark, that insipid effort that led to a Scott goal. For all his horribly bad moments he still had a great impact on the game and I’m sure his presence had a part in clurey and Jonas dominance.

Dixon - fairly average game where he still had a decent impact. Pretty good workrate and over time worked into it more. Early on Mackay had the absolute wood over him, no doubt helped by our reverting to the old sky high kick to a stationary dixon tactic. **** me ive seen enough of that no more pls. And the return of concrete hands. As game went on though Dixon’s workrate saw him have an impact, I just think dixon is capable of better.

Farrell - worked hard and had some good moments but didn’t shine.

Rockliff - had the ball on a string when he came on. 11d in a hair over a Qtr I think?

Overall we’ve got the win on the board, with some percentage and can move on.

A couple of things to take away and look at though.

Ladhams should have some heat on him for his day but in the end allowing lycett a rest and taking a defender away from Marshall and Dixon is pretty useful so as long as he’s not horrendous than he’s useful to our game, but gee I would like to see him continue to improve rather than stagnate at this level.

We need to address those centre clearances and Rocky might be a necessity until spp is ready.

Farrell was serviceable and is getting better, but it wasn’t an un-droppable performance if another player puts his hand up either. Happy for Farrell to get a run of games though, and wouldn’t be adverse to taking him back to sanfl either. It’s a good spot to be in depth wise. Probably keep Farrell in if we lose bonner and bring Rocky in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2021 R1, Port beats North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back