Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacKenzie is my pick, sounds just like what we need.

Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of having a midfield containing Nuke, Ward, Finn, Stephens and MacKenzie all being Hawks supporters. Hopefully can chuck Sheezel in there in two years time.
I'm all on board the Phillipou train, watch his first quarter against Vic Metro.

Did chopflop the First get Perma banned or something?

Regardless, welcome (back?) to the draft board.

Darcy Jones is someone I've come to really like with our second pick. He should be there and, barring any sliders, he provides the most upside of any forward we'll get our hands on. I agree with the Bolton allusions, but the comps I like for him are Stengle and Switowski. He's one that thrives in tight spaces, for such a slight frame he takes contact really well and can usually find a way to Houdini out of a pack and zip off into the sunset. We've got a plethora of small forwards with spark though, one I'd like to see if he goes alright as a third tall is Luke Teal. He's a great runner, cool head, and a brilliant reader of the play which benefits him down back, but could do wonders as a taller half-forward, pushing up the ground for the transition than getting out the back and in front of packs. Probably more of an option for our later picks, but a favorite of mine none the less. And he's a hawks fan, apparently.

Another that I'd love as a second-rounder is Lachie Cowan. If Weddle is your top 10 smokey, Cowan is firmly mine. I know we have a million running-intercepting halfbacks with big boots, but as a Smitty-style wing (something I think we'll lack with Amon and Morrison both being very good but firmly link up, high-skill wingman rather than a big, fast body that's gonna munt that thing 65 meters when we need it), or as an absolute weapon in the guts to give us a bit of mongrel at stoppages who can get a clearance himself. The combination of a quick first step and agility to change directions mid-sprint make him a lively slingshot and a dangerous weapon. If we're talking leadership and character, he's another captain and a very directional leader out of half back. On top of it all, his size and athleticism give him a ton of upside. When you see how well Ginbey and Mackenzie have done after their half-back transitions, I reckon Cowan could have had that if he wasn't so good as a defender in some teams that really relied on his work out of the backline. There in lies his biggest detraction, he's really only been a Sicily for his clubs and we haven't seen him up the ground and in a few more flashy roles. There's also a bit to work on with finding the short option, he's a tad prone to going long and he plays with a strong bias against a chip/mark playstyle. Give him a year at Box Hill rotating through the wing, guts, and halfback, and watch him force his way into our best 18 somewhere. There's every chance he's a first-rounder, but if he's there at 24 he's someone I desperately want us to grab regardless of positional need.
Haha no I cancelled my account because I spend too much time on here. I read the board throughout the trade period and couldn't handle not being able to participate in the melting and calling for MM's job. My toy's flew out of the cot but I am ok with it now.

Thanks for the write-ups on the others. I haven't seen Cowan play but sounds good from that description. I only watched WA vs VIC Metro and WA vs Vic Country.

MacKenzie is my pick, sounds just like what we need.

Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of having a midfield containing Nuke, Ward, Finn, Stephens and MacKenzie all being Hawks supporters. Hopefully can chuck Sheezel in there in two years time.
Lot of love on here for MacKenzie, by people more astute than myself. I hope we don’t pick him with our first. He gets a lot of ball by dropping off the contest on the defensive side. Reminds me of Lovell and I don’t think he’s going to be the superstar many think.

Lot of love on here for MacKenzie, by people more astute than myself. I hope we don’t pick him with our first. He gets a lot of ball by dropping off the contest on the defensive side. Reminds me of Lovell and I don’t think he’s going to be the superstar many think.
Lovell? Lovell didn’t have anything close to the speed, skill, smarts or anything that MacKenzie has.

MacKenzie had like 170 SC or something in the NAB GF and was absolutely unreal, he’s a freak.

Lovell? Lovell didn’t have anything close to the speed, skill, smarts or anything that MacKenzie has.

MacKenzie had like 170 SC or something in the NAB GF and was absolutely unreal, he’s a freak.

Good to know he's got the tools, my knock is that the way he plays does lead to big SC scores, I just wasn't convinced based on what I'd seen that he was a lock as an AFL star. How he plays can be changed and good point, he's got more to work with than Lovell.

Innersanctum has us taking Clark, but then also throws this up with Geelong taking McKenzie.

“As a hypothetical, the Cats could offer up this pick and their future first for the Hawks’ Pick 6 and future second if they don’t think Clark will make it through.”

Would we do it? I think so.

It’s a very good mock draft.

Does anyone have the preseason testing for Bailey humphries? Would love to know the results to his 2k time trial. I’m always worried when kids skip the draft combine and there’s a worry about their athleticism. Get the feeling he might not have the best endurance, and I feel like low endurance footballers have a much higher rate of failure, and most struggle to become elite mids

I don’t think anyone should be getting their hopes up for Reid next year.
Regardless of recent list management decisions we don’t finish last. We’re a much better run organisation than a few other clubs.
Definitely better run but some of the lower teams have made big inroads and list wise we’ve gone backwards (for the short term).
kangas got Clarko (but who knows
What happens there)
Bombers got a coach that might galvanise them
Giants might start playing as a team under Kingsley.. they have lots of talent still
Crows got Rankine who’s a good pick up
For them
WCE .. No covid and were shredded by injuries but need a change in attitude more than anything
But who knows maybe our kids go to the next level.
Should be a really intriguing year..far to long to wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Innersanctum has us taking Clark, but then also throws this up with Geelong taking McKenzie.

“As a hypothetical, the Cats could offer up this pick and their future first for the Hawks’ Pick 6 and future second if they don’t think Clark will make it through.”

I think we will and I’m kind of hoping we get the phone call but can Geelong trade there future 1st they will have to get a future 2nd of another team first I think. I think we will know what the plan is if leading up to or on the night in the first couple of picks we see Geelong have done a pick swap and got a Future 2nd.

We should absolutely take that if offered. At worst, it'll probably be a 5 pick upgrade, could be a fair bit more of Geelong side and we hold position.

I think we will and I’m kind of hoping we get the phone call but can Geelong trade there future 1st they will have to get a future 2nd of another team first I think. I think we will know what the plan is if leading up to or on the night in the first couple of picks we see Geelong have done a pick swap and got a Future 2nd.
The future second they get would be ours. Shouldn't need to get one before the trade when you're getting it in the trade. I would assume anyway.

Good to know he's got the tools, my knock is that the way he plays does lead to big SC scores, I just wasn't convinced based on what I'd seen that he was a lock as an AFL star. How he plays can be changed and good point, he's got more to work with than Lovell.
He is an accumulator who is smart and skilful, quick and pretty strong with good size, composed and has as good of an outside and inside game as each other which are both high quality.

I can’t see your side, at all.

ModernArtillery eDPS Davo-27 PMBangers
Whats your take on Jed Hagan? Some boards have him in the 20s but others have him really low 45+. Ive seen him play a few times and while he's small (175cm) he looks like a Liam Baker type to me with a lot to offer. Skills and power are sound IMO.

He is an accumulator who is smart and skilful, quick and pretty strong with good size, composed and has as good of an outside and inside game as each other which are both high quality.

I can’t see your side, at all.

My prediction is that he goes late first round. Certainly hope we stay away from him and the word I hear is that we will. We shall see.

ModernArtillery eDPS Davo-27 PMBangers
Whats your take on Jed Hagan? Some boards have him in the 20s but others have him really low 45+. Ive seen him play a few times and while he's small (175cm) he looks like a Liam Baker type to me with a lot to offer. Skills and power are sound IMO.
He is 45+ for me, I’ve never been his biggest fan. Very small and not overly quick. An early developer he could play a role for a club but he isn’t someone I’d take in the top 40 that’s for sure.

From the D&T board. Our NGA kid at Eastern who averaged a goal a game.

Josh Bennetts won the Eastern Ranges B&F playing off a half forward flank. Try finding that anywhere as well...just heard it last night from an itk who saw every eastern ranges game.
Been told he has footy smarts and is a goal kicker and has good skills.
Hope to see him in Hawks colors.

I'd do it. But I'd prefer Phillipou or Mackenzie anyway.

It will essentially mean we take:

Mackenzie or Phillipou + pick 15-18
Over
Clark + pick 19-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back