Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the biggest fan of Phillipou but am trying to come around to it as so many seem to really like him on this board. Can someone tell me how he compares to Neil Erasmus from last year?

He was my number 2 for our pick behind Ward and i haven't seen much of him this year but I think he's been alright.

Both are roughly 190cm midfielders who excel in the air and are quite athletic. From the very limited footage I've seen of Phillipou, I'd say I prefer Erasmus because he seems to be a better mark and ball user. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd just like to know how they compare because they seem very similar.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you compare their output between Erasmus playing Colts, and Phillipou playing SANFL U18s, Phillipou hits the scoreboard far more.

How do our draft gurus rate Brayden George? From what you hear, he sounds an absolute jet who would have gone high in the draft, but for injury. Still, the expectation is he will be gone by our second pick. Is he, potentially, that good?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not the biggest fan of Phillipou but am trying to come around to it as so many seem to really like him on this board. Can someone tell me how he compares to Neil Erasmus from last year?

He was my number 2 for our pick behind Ward and i haven't seen much of him this year but I think he's been alright.

Both are roughly 190cm midfielders who excel in the air and are quite athletic. From the very limited footage I've seen of Phillipou, I'd say I prefer Erasmus because he seems to be a better mark and ball user. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd just like to know how they compare because they seem very similar.

Phillipou in the under 18's average 27.5 touches at 78% efficiency, 4 clearances, 5 tackles and 1.5 goals, 4 days off being a 2023 draft player.

Phillipou is better at most things, i'd say similar in the air, but Phillipou is quicker, a much better kick, classier and a better in tight with his hands.

Phillipou falls behind sometimes with his consistency & effort, seems like he can plod sometimes, however Erasmus doesn't have that issue from what i have seen.

I wouldn't get fancy take Jhye Clark, you know what you're gonna get.

Building a midfield nucelus of Clark, Newcombe, Ward, Day, McDonald and next year getting the cherry on top in Reid. Would set our midfield up for the next 10 years.
I agree. I think Clark is the best pure footballer of the lot. He won't let you down. Leadership qualities. No brainer really.

We should be aiming to get 22 from the Bombres, and then if we really want to take McKenzie we should let the Eagles think that we’ll take Ginbey, so that they’ll trade up.

6 for 8 and 26.

8, 22, 24, 26

Is that doable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be aiming to get 22 from the Bombres, and then if we really want to take McKenzie we should let the Eagles think that we’ll take Ginbey, so that they’ll trade up.

6 for 8 and 26.

8, 22, 24, 26

Is that doable?
Dunno about the 6 slide, but we need that pick 22. I'd give the Dogs F2 pick for it.

With Brayden having such a long term injury, does anyone else think he'll drift to the 20's? İf so, getting him along with a ready to go mid at pick 6 would be a good haul. I hope mm is cooking up something with our future 2nd, our 2nd this year plus the 41,48 & 51!.
Humphrey/phillipou/Clarke + George.

I agree. I think Clark is the best pure footballer of the lot. He won't let you down. Leadership qualities. No brainer really.
I thought he let big country down against vic metro in the decider. Thought he was very poor in that game. I just want a player that has more upside with pick 6. I just think Clark is more of what we had and what we still have. Think he will be a very good AFL player (won’t be disappointed if we take him) but prefer MacKenzie, Phillipou or even Humphrey.

Dunno about the 6 slide, but we need that pick 22. I'd give the Dogs F2 pick for it.
I think I want us to leave next years picks alone.

A pick in the 30’s next year might be like having one at 20 next year.

I’m not overly fussed with Pick 6, if it’s Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou I’ll be fine with it as I can see the upside and rationale for all of them being the right one at our selection. I’m sure those who make the decision will know what they’re doing on the night, and will make the best call.

I’m not overly fussed with Pick 6, if it’s Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou I’ll be fine with it as I can upside and rationale for all of them being the right one at our selection. I’m sure those who make the decision will know what they’re doing on the night, and will make the best call.
Correct weight. I am not watching much this year and will look at footage after we make our selection and then get excited about who we took and not who we didn't take

I’m not overly fussed with Pick 6, if it’s Clark, McKenzie or Phillipou I’ll be fine with it as I can upside and rationale for all of them being the right one at our selection. I’m sure those who make the decision will know what they’re doing on the night, and will make the best call.

Likewise.

I've been warming to Phillipou recently. If our midfield develops as we hope we'll still be needing his type. Tall, athletic and can kick goals. The Bont comparison is too easy, but you can see it.

I don't see what Clark offers that we don't already have?

At the least there is no point of difference as he doesn't address the glaring need of our midfield - that being class disposal and pace.

We already have tough ball winners in Worpel, Newcombe, Stephens, Nash and Finn.

Given where we are in our rebuild, plus our average draft hand, we need to be selecting the biggest talents that address our needs.

Weighing up the pros and cons in comparison to Phillipou and Mackenzie, it seems that Clark is smaller, slower, less athletic, less versatile, is worse by foot and plays a role that is not the biggest pressing need for the team.

With the pros being he's perceived as a safe bet / high-floor kind of player that is tough, team oriented, offers maximum effort and excellent leadership.

Last edited:

6 for 8 and 26.

8, 22, 24, 26

Is that doable?

Top 5 as per expected + Ashcroft
WCE - Ginbey
Geelong - Clark
Hawks - Phillipou or Mackenzie

We get who we (and by we I mean me) want and get another second. I'd be very keen to do that.

I think WCE would call our bluff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back