Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Vic Metro vs SA

Q1

Not impressed by the poo. Few touches, mainly intercept possessions that fell in his lap. Don't get the hype.

D'Aoila lacks athleticism but is a footballer. I counted six clearances in Q1 so a massive impact. Lot's of the grunt work. Would be good for us in the second or third round.

Weddle is aggressive, quick, great timing on punches and drives out of defense. Looks far better than Hayes defensively who is a bit bambi-like.

Charlie Clarke has some jets but lacks class for mine. It's speed or nothing for him. Reminds me of push-up King without the toughness.

McKenzie hasn't done much. Few nice linking handbells but not dominant by any stretch.

Verall I think it is for Vic Metro is an unathletic HBF but he has AFL-level disposal (sicily-like technique).

Watson for next year looks very good. Athletic, quick, aggressive and kicked a class goal off one step. Had one tap on that was cyril-esque.

Q2

The poo is injured. But kicked a nice goal.

D'Aoila is playing up forward and SA have gone to water in the middle. He is their barometer.

Hayes played much better this quarter. Good intercepting.

Weddle is a jet. Lemmey in his pocket.

McKenzie looking more likely this quarter a few clearances and nice use.

Drury is a good little player. Crafty and good skill.

Hotton though is the one for me. Haven't seen him play properly before but he has an inside/outside game. Nice pace, good balance and good skill. Exactly the type we need. Has been more impressive as a prospect than McKenzie in this game.

.... and, I'm done.
Oli Hotton kept running all game and was near with the pill. For not being one of the big names he had a great game v SA.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oli Hotton kept running all game and was near with the pill. For not being one of the big names he had a great game v SA.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He had his own personal cheersquad at the game, was kinda funny hearing a group of 50 odd cheering him on lol

Anyone else feeling underwhelmed the more they read/see about this draft?

Nah, a little bit the opposite.

We finally have a full season of exposed form for this draft class after 2 years with minimal.

We have a high pick with multiple options to use it on.

We'll have picks come in after bids and there is always a slider or two available around the mark of our third selection.

Nah, a little bit the opposite.

We finally have a full season of exposed form for this draft class after 2 years with minimal.

We have a high pick with multiple options to use it on.

We'll have picks come in after bids and there is always a slider or two available around the mark of our third selection.
I love the positivity here.

I think the fact we have had a full season of exposed form makes it underwhelming.

Apart from the first few picks the quality does look poor.

I look at all the differing views on here as to who we should take with our 1st and think that is not a good thing.

No one is screaming at us to pick them with our 1st.

I love the positivity here.

I think the fact we have had a full season of exposed form makes it underwhelming.

Apart from the first few picks the quality does look poor.

I look at all the differing views on here as to who we should take with our 1st and think that is not a good thing.

I find that is more from a list management point of view in regards to Hawthorns first selection.
You can make a legitimate argument for all of Mackenzie, Clark, Humphrey or Phillipou no matter how you rank them on pure talent.

We should seriously take Busslinger at 7. We can then whinge and bitch all of 2023 about how undersized he is as a key backman and that his debut year was underwhelming. Then when WCE finish last or second last and we finish in a similar position to this year, offer our pick 6, Busslinger and DGB for WCE'S pick one or 2 and second round pick....

I think it's par for the course.

Every year, about 2 or 3 elites, who will definitely go 1, 2 and 3...and then a quorum of 4 to say 8 who are likely to go in the next 8 picks, but whose order depends on each clubs needs.

After 1-3, the chance or a slider/bolter rises rapidly.

On Humphrey:

Pros:

Exceptional character/Leadership
Tough
Good overhead
X Factor
Field kicking (passable)
Contested ball winning

Cons:

Kicking for goal

Anything I missed?
Get him into a full time program and his kicking will improve out of site. Gippsland Power train one night a week, the other day is with his local club. Don't let his kicking put you off.

On Humphrey:

Pros:

Exceptional character/Leadership
Tough
Good overhead
X Factor
Field kicking (passable)
Contested ball winning

Cons:

Kicking for goal

Anything I missed?
You know it's a worry when someone else (Harley Reid) has more highlights in your highlight video 😂

If teaching somehow how to change their kicking technique is so easy why are there still plenty of s**t kicks going around at AFL level? Heck we just got rid of a Brownlow medalist because he would often put boot to ball without looking upfield/sideways or hit good targets 8 times out of 10.

Mitchell will not risk or allow us to waste our first pick on a player who’s kicking technique is questionable …….. his game plan relies on it! Sure ok if it was a later pick but not our first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For as poor as MM was in the trade period the draft is where he excels so I'm confident he'll choose a kid that is quality especially if teams above us let a kid/s slide down to us.
Confirmed. We have five unofficial AA players coming from pick 41-65. ;)

Get him into a full time program and his kicking will improve out of site. Gippsland Power train one night a week, the other day is with his local club. Don't let his kicking put you off.
It is pretty rare for players to drastically improve kicking one entering the AFL system

Sewell did it very successfully..

Who says his trading was poor this year - you? He didn’t have much going his way pre trade as everyone knew we wanted to offload JOM and TOM, we were always going to get unders which hardly rates his trade performance as “poor”

Also what if Meek and Stephenson deliver on their potential and become regulars next year and beyond??

You can only play the cards you are dealt with and MM has had no better than two pairs since taking over from Wright. I’d prefer to judge him over 2 or 3 more trades before making hasty judgements after this trade period
Yep that’s 1 example of it

For as poor as MM was in the trade period the draft is where he excels so I'm confident he'll choose a kid that is quality especially if teams above us let a kid/s slide down to us.

Is he actually still heavily involved in the draft now he is list manager?.

c'mon man what a ridiculous comment. Of course players improve when they go FT.
It isn't at all, minor improvements? Sure i can buy that.

Show me the big list of players that came in to the league with noticeably poor foot skills that drastically improved once on a list.

Only other option is slide from 6, I wonder if the dogs would do that for 11 and 21?
Sliding from 6 might not be a bad plan as Phillipou could slide, and Jefferson/Hotton/Hollands all seem like good players, though I think we'd need more than 21 as well. Maybe pick 6 for 11 and a F1, especially if next years draft is as good as it looks now, and then we'd have a sub 5 pick and a low teens pick, as well as 2 second rounders.

I remember reading some recruiting article a while back. You can improve kicking efficiency by coaching the player to take certain options. Interestingly you can't coach contested ball winning i.e., a player who can't win contested ball pre-draft won't learn how to at AFL level. Can't remember the article

I remember reading some recruiting article a while back. You can improve kicking efficiency by coaching the player to take certain options. Interestingly you can't coach contested ball winning i.e., a player who can't win contested ball pre-draft won't learn how to at AFL level. Can't remember the article
It’s something we see all the time with players being taught to take kicks within their skill capabilities. Frawley an obvious example.

With good decision making you don’t need to be an elite kick. And if anything decision making is more important than having an elite kick.

Bont is someone whose kicking I don’t rate that high but his decision making is top quality.

I’m happy for us to take a consistent if uncreative kick. But I’d rather avoid the Humphrey’s of the world where the ball can go anywhere.

Didn't James Frawley always have a very high efficiency rating for that very reason? 🤣

W
I agree with the chat about his drafting, he has hardly missed. But he really dropped the ball with Bowes. We should have been onto that a long time ago.

s**t the kid nearly chose hawthorn after being courted by Geelong for a long time, if we had got to him earlier rather than when pick 7 was part of it (knowing pick 7 or something similar would be in play eventual it) he might have gone with hawthorn. It made sense, he just showed loyalty to Geelong.

That was a huge, huge miss. It will irk me for years.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Dont think anyone really cared about getting bowes and it was impossible to know GC would lump in Pick 7 with him. I was shattered we missed the deal too but don’t think anyone could planned for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back