Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't at all, minor improvements? Sure i can buy that.

Show me the big list of players that came in to the league with noticeably poor foot skills that drastically improved once on a list.

Patrick Dangerfield.... oh, wait.

The most dramatic improvement I've ever seen was from Sam Mitchell. He went from having a bailout type kick, to being a laser guided weapon off both feet.

Sewell's improvement was dramatic just because of how bad he was early on.

But for the most part, the Dangerfields, Goaters, Langford junior, Frosts etc. don't usually improve much at all over the course of their careers.

I'd be asking if Humprey looks a better ball winner or athlete than Josh Goater pre draft, and go from there.

think I need to watch again because I didn't think Humphrey's kicking was that bad 😳
Not sure what vision you saw but there was one video floating around where he had numerous set shots that didn't even score or look likely to score.

I think he is kicking around the ground will be okay though from some of the vision.

For draft watchers could cowan be a midfielder in time ? Similar to jack crisp start at half back and slowly make the transition, he definitely has some nice traits.

Not sure what vision you saw but there was one video floating around where he had numerous set shots that didn't even score or look likely to score.

I think he is kicking around the ground will be okay though from some of the vision.
Humphrey is talented player but my worry with his kicking is that things will only get harder at the AFL level. Wether it be the perceived pressure of a game or even just the way defences will zone back and anticipate poor rushed kicking. It doesn't matter how much of the ball you get as it will more often than not come straight back if you cannot hit a target. It seems ever since our 3peat team was disassembled all our mids have been poor kicks that have either been moved to other positions or delisted. We desperately need players that can hit a target by hand and foot. If no one drops I reckon the pick has got to be MacKenzie.

Of course a draftee can significantly improve their kicking with professional coaching and training and personal discipline and dedication. Suggesting otherwise is like suggesting an 18 year old tennis player who just turned pro can’t improve their serve.

If a player has a skill weakness, the most important thing is whether they have the character to work their arse off to improve it. It might never become the strength of their game but it should absolutely improve with proper coaching and dedication. Our coach will know that more than anyone.

If it’s the case that Humphrey has strengths and attributes we absolutely need (dynamic, powerful, leadership) but his weakness is kicking, the biggest question will be character. Even if kicking is never the high point of his game, guys like Dangerfield, Judd and Fyfe have been champions with just average kicking but elite other attributes and professionalism.

If he’s made of the right stuff I’d rather take that chance than recruit an accumulator type who might be the safer pick but without the upside. We need stars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, that was just his kicks floating.

Its such a glaring weakness that really can't be considered for pick 6 imo.

Would we pick Tstatas? On ability he's a steal at our pick but on need i.e. big bodied mids we wouldn't. Do we wait until the 2023 draft to get a big bodied mid knowing that we got a bargain in 2022 and hope that Stephens, Duke , Ward etc, can hold the fort until then ?
I think we would if he slides. Otherwise I am hoping for Humphrey and Pou: need a bit of x factor.

Nah, that was just his kicks floating.

Its such a glaring weakness that really can't be considered for pick 6 imo.

He seems to 'drop' the ball from hip height instead of guiding the footy down to his foot. It doesn't like quite as bad when he is on the run, but is a major issue on his set shots, and without momentum after a mark/free kick.

Should be a coachable fix, but muscle memory habits can be hard to break!

Of course a draftee can significantly improve their kicking with professional coaching and training and personal discipline and dedication. Suggesting otherwise is like suggesting an 18 year old tennis player who just turned pro can’t improve their serve.

If a player has a skill weakness, the most important thing is whether they have the character to work their arse off to improve it. It might never become the strength of their game but it should absolutely improve with proper coaching and dedication. Our coach will know that more than anyone.

If it’s the case that Humphrey has strengths and attributes we absolutely need (dynamic, powerful, leadership) but his weakness is kicking, the biggest question will be character. Even if kicking is never the high point of his game, guys like Dangerfield, Judd and Fyfe have been champions with just average kicking but elite other attributes and professionalism.

If he’s made of the right stuff I’d rather take that chance than recruit an accumulator type who might be the safer pick but without the upside. We need stars
Players can improve their kicking, but it also becomes more difficult to be a good kick in the AFL. If they're struggling enormously with it in the U18 comps with density rules, lower pressure and a slower game they're probably not going to improve enough to become proficient at it.

I'd prefer we go with someone who is actually good at the fundamentals of footy instead of someone who has obvious deficiencies in the hopes that he might follow in the footsteps of a few extraordinarily rare exceptions to the rule.

Players can improve their kicking, but it also becomes more difficult to be a good kick in the AFL. If they're struggling enormously with it in the U18 comps with density rules, lower pressure and a slower game they're probably not going to improve enough to become proficient at it.

I'd prefer we go with someone who is actually good at the fundamentals of footy instead of someone who has obvious deficiencies in the hopes that he might follow in the footsteps of a few extraordinarily rare exceptions to the rule.

100% agree. We also need more blokes who are elite kicks, given what we have on our list at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back