Teams 2022 Fantasy - Rate my Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backs: Whitfield, Short, McInerney, Hewett, Chapman, P. McCartin (De Koning, NOD)

Mid: Macrae, Oliver, Andrew Brayshaw, Josh Kelly, Chad Warner, JHF, Daicos, Ward (C. Stephens, Mead)

Ruck: Gawn, Grundy (Hayes)

Fwds: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, W.Brodie, Rachele, Ralphsmith (N.Martin, Durdin) Util (Baldwin)

M3-5 is different to others and hopefully my point of difference.

Very very similar to mine. Seems like there's a few of us basically rocking this team. I basically have Sicily over McCartin and as a result sacrificing a bit in midfield (Cripps and Serong instead of Titch and Crouch).
yeah, i thought about being unique and picking guys like Wines etc. but i just dont think trying to be different is the way to go.
what would you take from Chapman. A 70 average?

yeah, i thought about being unique and picking guys like Wines etc. but i just dont think trying to be different is the way to go.
what would you take from Chapman. A 70 average?

Yeah would be happy with something like that.

Backs: Crisp, Whitfield, Hewett, McInerney, Chapman, McCartin (De Koning, Will Kelly)

Mid: T.Miller, Macrae, T.Mitchell, M.Crouch, Rowell, Daicos, JHF, Ward (C.Stephens, B.Hough)

Fwds: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, W.Brodie, Ralphsmith, Rachele (N.Martin, Baldwin) Util (Durdin)

Opinons welcome
Looks good.
I know rookies aren't settled yet but a potential issue is you have 10 mid only players and only 8 players with def status. This will limit your ability to use the utility position to flick players around.
Also, is Will Kelly worth having on the bench? He'll struggle to make 40K. You may be better picking NOD for the loop option and saving a trade if/when he gets picked.

Backs: Whitfield, Short, McInerney, Hewett, Chapman, P. McCartin (De Koning, NOD)

Mid: Macrae, Oliver, Andrew Brayshaw, Josh Kelly, Chad Warner, JHF, Daicos, Ward (C. Stephens, Mead)

Fwds: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, W.Brodie, Rachele, Ralphsmith (N.Martin, Durdin) Util (Baldwin)

M3-5 is different to others and hopefully my point of difference.
I've done a slight edit. If De Koning is named round 1 he'll be my D6. Removing McCartin allows me to upgrade Brayshaw to Mitchell.

Backs: Whitfield, Short, McInerney, Hewett, Chapman, De Koning (Dean, NOD)

Mid: Macrae, Oliver, Tom Mitchell, Josh Kelly, Chad Warner, JHF, Daicos, Ward (C. Stephens, Mead)

No more changes until teams. 9 premiums (thanks to FlowersByIrene excellent post) plus more with luck. I need luck with D6 but it's a structure I like.

I've done a slight edit. If De Koning is named round 1 he'll be my D6. Removing McCartin allows me to upgrade Brayshaw to Mitchell.

Mid: Macrae, Oliver, Tom Mitchell, Josh Kelly, Chad Warner, JHF, Daicos, Ward (C. Stephens, Mead)

No more changes until teams. 9 premiums (thanks to FlowersByIrene excellent post) plus more with luck. I need luck with D6 but it's a structure I like.
I think you've got 10 premiums there mate. Josh Kelly is definitely a premium this year.

This is basically my structure except I have Sicily over DeKoning (not comfortable on D6 rookie) and therefore take a haircut at M4, you basically have Tom Mitchell while I have Cripps.

If you took job security out of the equation, you'd take Mitchell and a Rookie over Cripps and Sicily any day. But given the shaky ground in defence i'm playing it safer. That being said, it also allows me to gamble that Cripps could go back to 109+ and Sicily could score 95 and technically both could be keepers or close to it, so there is some upside there, albeit low chance.

I think you've got 10 premiums there mate. Josh Kelly is definitely a premium this year.

This is basically my structure except I have Sicily over DeKoning (not comfortable on D6 rookie) and therefore take a haircut at M4, you basically have Tom Mitchell while I have Cripps.

If you took job security out of the equation, you'd take Mitchell and a Rookie over Cripps and Sicily any day. But given the shaky ground in defence i'm playing it safer. That being said, it also allows me to gamble that Cripps could go back to 109+ and Sicily could score 95 and technically both could be keepers or close to it, so there is some upside there, albeit low chance.
Warner to Rowell allows me to upgrade to a $290K D6 and keep M1 through M4, but I'm just a huge fan of Warner and his year 3 prospects. I'll roll the dice.

As mentioned before, I think you're leaving far too much cash on the bench even despite the job security concerns of other rookies.

Let's start with the premiums, I count 5 (Macrae, Parish, Stewart, Whitfield, Coniglio) while you're hoping Martin, Heeney, Butters, Neale and potentially Hewett can get there. That means you have at least 12 players on your field that ABSOLUTELY need to be upgraded. That's a long way to come back from. Compare that to what I would call the standard structure.. 9 Premiums and 3-4 hopeful premiums, you're premiums are immediately short 4 guys and you're betting on 5 guys to get there whereas others are betting on only 3-4. Accordingly, i'm not a fan of this structure, but you do you!

If you were to stay with this structure.. keeping a lot of money on the bench I'd do the following changes:

Caldwell OUT, Josh Ward onto the field and a 190k midfield rookie on the bench. I just don't think Caldwell is a good pick, too many mouths to feed at Essendon and he doesn't have the pedigree to demand a larger share. Ward potentially outscores him in the first six rounds of the season unless an injury comes to the Essendon midfield. That saves you almost 300k.

Hinge OUT, Answerth or Foley onto the field. Hinge may not even play with Dawson coming back and even if he does the same role he had pre-season won't be there. Go down to Answerth (who i don't like) or Foley and you save 20-40k.

Rioli OUT, Chapman in. Rioli is just not a good fantasy player and is a chance to get dropped from that side. I'd rather play Ralphsmith on my ground than Rioli. Chapman has the better pedigree and you save 60k.

Preuss OUT, 190k ruck in. 370k is way to much to have on the bench, he's suspended for a week, he's not 1st ruck and he's not even guaranteed best 22. If any of those factors change and he becomes viable you can downgrade Witts to him early in the season, but he's not a starting option. Doing that saves you $170k.

Mitch McGovern OUT, Brodie in. McGoverns role is interesting and i applaud you for taking it, but he's not going to get any more ball than Jacob Weitering does on a good day and his best days are 70-75. In contrast, you could have Will Brodie who looks to have locked down an inside mid role at Fremantle and is substantially cheaper. Doing this saves you $76k.

So now you'll have around $626-646k to play with. The question is where to spend the money...

The safe play would be Witts to Grundy which costs you $321k. Grundy is value, he's also a premium (taking your count from 5 to 6 and getting you close to that standard side) and Witts has played half a game of football all pre-season, is coming back from an ACL he did only 11 months ago and has a ceiling of just over 100 in any event. Doing this will still leave you with another $305-325k as well.

From here you'd have the cash to go English to Gawn, which would be my personal recommendation. But i understand the potential upside in English, as well as the DPP flexibility makes him attractive. If you wanted to keep English, there are two options as I see it:
  • 1. continue to cull bench rookies, cut Gibcus and one of Xerri/Rachelle to a 190k and pocket an extra 170k, doing this would leave you with almost 500k to play with and enough to grab Short from that D5 Answerth/Foley/Hinge position. This gives you another premium; or
  • 2. Keep your bench as is and sprinkle the cash on a couple of guys to grab more likely premiums. For example drop one of Dusty/Heeney or Butters (i.d recommend Heeney) and grab Dunkley, while also skip Neale and grab an uber like Kelly, Zerrett or even Miller/Steele. Could also put it on top of Chapman if you don't like him and grab Short from that spot as well. Spend the money on the field and get the additional points.
Thanks for the very detailed and well thought out response, much better than being called stupid ;)

I understand where you're coming from but I guess we're from 2 different schools of thought, GnR's and MPM.

My team is structured so that if a good rookie with solid scoring and JS that is cheaper does come along once teams are named then I'll certainly jump on. I'm not going to go through all of your points but I will mention a couple.

Hinge: Has very good JS and wont be impacted by Dawson who'll be playing a more mid role, from what I understand Hinge will be more HBF/wing.

Rioli: Had a very good finish to last year where he averaged 90 over the last 5 games or so, he's been training with the backs all pre season and the coaches love what he brings, Ralphsmith is the one that'll be out 1st.

Preuss: I'm happy to roll with him on the bench for 1 game, he scored quite well (85) even with Flynn taking more hitouts, I'll take that from a bench rookie.

McGovern: It's strange that you've compared him with Weitering, 2 different players, playing different roles. He's playing a loose intercepting and distributor role off HB which is more like a Doch or Stewart. I don't expect to score like those 2 but he managed an 89 in the pre season game.

The thing that stands out for me though is that the last 3 winners of AFLF only started with 9-10 keepers with an average of 6 premiums and 3 value premiums, 9 midpricer's too. None of them started the highest priced players from the year before either and one of them went with 2 MP rucks. I'm not here to change anyone's thinking, just trying something different after going full GnR's last year

With potential covid issues not worried about too many eggs in the GWS basket? Whit Cogs and the Taranto upgrade are all a given.. as much as I want Kelly it's getting a bit heavy.

Also Dean and NOD won't be there round 1.. D6-8 going to require a lot more coin.

Looks good.
I know rookies aren't settled yet but a potential issue is you have 10 mid only players and only 8 players with def status. This will limit your ability to use the utility position to flick players around.
Also, is Will Kelly worth having on the bench? He'll struggle to make 40K. You may be better picking NOD for the loop option and saving a trade if/when he gets picked.
Thanks. so you're suggesting that I put NOD on my midfield bench? because if I replace Will Kelly with NOD then it doesn't really help with my ability to flick players around because I have no-one in my midfield that is MID/DEF

With potential covid issues not worried about too many eggs in the GWS basket? Whit Cogs and the Taranto upgrade are all a given.. as much as I want Kelly it's getting a bit heavy.

Also Dean and NOD won't be there round 1.. D6-8 going to require a lot more coin.
I can't second guess covid. I'll run with 3 from GWS and take my chances.

Yes, I'm awre of D7-8. I'll assess as teams are being named. Hopefully a decent $190K emerges. I'll keep my current structure until I can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely covid not a thing? We’ll get their average? Surely

View attachment 1340730
$72k in the bank

Both hate it and love it.
Like it a lot
No Crippa?

I tried something a little different, made an alt account with the GF's details and tried to fill it solely with players that I had on my watchlist prior to the start of the season but that are now relatively out of vogue. The result is below. Apart from rookies, this side only shares three players with my current team (anyone want to guess which three). But is otherwise a relatively good team.

Thoughts on this super unique and off centre side?

View attachment 1341210
Tasty - JdG down to Butters and upgrade Simpkin maybe?

Alrighty, bit late to the party this year but have been slowly working towards a final team, based on the same archetype all preseason.

Team started out very mid-price heavy and has progessively become more and more mid-priced heavy as rookie options have dried up. I never usually go down this route and I really like the look of it. Has the capacity to crash and burn, but if I can nail a few, might give me an edge. Keen to see how it plays out.

Caldwell has been in and out of my team throughout preseason, but I think I am committed to him now and I see him as value at that price. Fairly sure he was cheaper last year, albeit he was a forward and his hamstrings might be made out of liquorice. Happy with the forward line, originally had De Goey in the Brodie spot as I loved the look of all 5 - being confident that I'd be happy with them at the end of the year also - but cash is king, and he's the one of them that I most see as an upgrade target.

Draper obvious risk but I'll back him in as a POD, loves a tackle but super raw and durability right up in the air. Same thoughts as Chapman, however having a read of the board this morning, it seems as though quite a few have jumped on the train which reduces the risk a bit.

View attachment 1341378
Very nice
Cull Duncan and you can upgrade Caldwell then looks great

Thanks. so you're suggesting that I put NOD on my midfield bench? because if I replace Will Kelly with NOD then it doesn't really help with my ability to flick players around because I have no-one in my midfield that is MID/DEF
Doesn't matter where you put them, but I'd ditch Kelly and try to have 9 players with def status if you can.

Loving the camaraderie from everyone here
Some top notch work! Heart warming stuff.

But you are all w***ers and I hope your teams suck :)

Official response from the rest of us...

bird.gif

**** you Mrs Doubtfire.gif

sassy bird GIF

Just going to leave this here as well - as we don't really have a spot for it yet.

Is anyone from here keen on a draft league, just a one-off for this year ?? Would be a quick draft, with just a few minutes per pick - plan to get it run and done one night prior to the season kickoff. Format and scoring can be discussed.

PM me if interested. I'll then setup a PM if enough people are keen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back