Teams 2022 Fantasy - Rate my Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team's are starting to take place now that rookies are firming.

Defence: I think Sam De Koning plays, and surely one of Noddy, Boyd or Will Kelly get a game, meaning we have out D7/8. Have to go deep on field in defence but that's fine.
Midfield: Daicos, JHF and Ward should be locked in, should be enough 190k guys get a gig to fill the bench. Three rookie midfield guaranteed, could go four if you're a wild cat.
Forward Line: Rachelle has to be locked into sides, question is if it's F5 or F6. With Corey Durdin, Nick Martin, Jack Hayes, Baldwin, Dixon, McEntee, Hollands all around the mark i'm thinking that F6 may be where we can squeeze in an on field 190. Doing so allows me to go someone like Kelly over Neale. Ultimately it's no skin off my back if I need to downgrade Kelly from M3 to Neale if I don't get the rookies there but i'd prefer the potential uber in Kelly.

So what that means structure wise is:

Defenders, almost all teams are going two premiums and four mid priced guys priced between 400 and 600. Some are throwing in a 350k or less "expensive rookie" type like Answerth and trying to grab a Dawson or spend the cash elsewhere, but that's generally the structure.
Midfielders are generally two uber premiums, two under priced premos, Rowell, Brodie or Crouch at M5 depending on cash availability and the three rookie midfields. Your choice of 190k midfield bench options.
Rucks are either Gawndy or Grundy/Gawn and one of Marshall, English or RoB. Difference in cash here is likely the difference in either Crouch over Rowell at M5 or a Butters/Heeney type in the forward line.
Forwards almost all teams are starting Dunkley and Cogs at F1 and F2. Some still holding onto Treloar at F2 but they generally still have the cash for Cogs at F3. Butters/Heeney/Martin at F3 and potentially F4 depending on cash which F5 and F6 are filled with two of Brodie/Ralphsmith/Rachelle. Fill F7/8 with two of Durdin/Hayes/Baldwin/Dixon and pray.

It's getting to that Group-Think time, not really out fault as rookies have practically forced everyone to use the same structure. Turning points will be selecting your midfield ubers and your 400k or less guys. First few weeks of the season could turn on decisions like Curnow v Ralphsmith or Milera v Chapman. Good luck to all those. I haven't seen any shockingly bad teams on here so am sure we will all do well. Remember starting sides are only like 10% of the battle. Looking forward to continuing the discussion throughout the season.

Bring on teams.
Awesome summation, but as always I'm trialing something a little different, to prepare for what Round 1 throws up.

Instead of the 2/4/0 down back, I'm looking at a 3/3, with the same ruck and forward structure, but slightly weaker midfield. This affords me the ability to drop Josh Kelly if I want rooks on the bench- like P. McCartin and Ralphsmith -, or to go from Marshall to Grundy.

This structure also prevents me having to run an iffy expensive 'rook' in an Answerth/Lachie Jones type, and also prevents me having to run Sicily- who looks very iffy with Scrimshaw and Hardwick back there...and then CJ and Day still to come back.

Here's what I have at the moment (nothing set in stone, but as an example):

DEF: T. Stewart, Whitfield, Short, McInerney, Hewett, Chapman (SDK. J. Boyd)

MID: Steele, J. Kelly, L. Neale, M.Crouch, Rowell, JHF, N. Daicos, J. Ward (C. Stephens. McComb)

RUC: Gawn, R. Marshall (S. Hayes)

FWD: Dunkley, Cogs, Butters, W. Brodie, Xerri, Rachele (Durdin, N. Martin)

UTL: H. Dixon

This is then what I'd do if I want McCartin and Ralphsmith for added bench depth if rooks are thin (also gives me two forward links in the mids for added flexibility and the ability to shift Ralphsmith forward for Xerri if not named, with another 190K mid on the mid bench instead):

DEF: T. Stewart, Whitfield, Short, McInerney, Hewett, Chapman (P. McCartin, SDK)

MID: Steele, L. Neale, Treloar, Crouch, Rowell, JHF, N. Daicos, J. Ward (Ralphsmith, C. Stephens)

RUC: Gawn, R. Marshall (S. Hayes)

FWD: Dunkley, Cogs, Butters, W. Brodie, Xerri, Rachele (Durdin, N. Martin)

UTL: H. Dixon

Last edited:
I tried something a little different, made an alt account with the GF's details and tried to fill it solely with players that I had on my watchlist prior to the start of the season but that are now relatively out of vogue. The result is below. Apart from rookies, this side only shares three players with my current team (anyone want to guess which three). But is otherwise a relatively good team.

Thoughts on this super unique and off centre side?

1646744970413.png

As promised.....wont be to everyone's (anyone's) liking, but it's how I'm rolling until teams are announced.

With Dixon/Hayes in the utility spot.

View attachment 1341296

Not taking the Curnow option instead of McGovern ?? Would allow you a bit of $$$ to get upgrades elsewhere.

So a mate and I are starting a podcast this year dedicated to defenders, and have made a fantasy team also dedicated to defenders...

So let us know any trades we could make or better DPP's for the cast Fantasy team. Would love for it to be pseudo competitive.
274120474_478158100457873_1131596922130878941_n.png

So a mate and I are starting a podcast this year dedicated to defenders, and have made a fantasy team also dedicated to defenders...

So let us know any trades we could make or better DPP's for the cast Fantasy team. Would love for it to be pseudo competitive.
Clark is gone so you need to dump him. Coleman likely out too I'd imagine.

Do you have salary? Can you afford Hall if he plays? Would give you a solid captain

As promised.....wont be to everyone's (anyone's) liking, but it's how I'm rolling until teams are announced.

With Dixon/Hayes in the utility spot.

View attachment 1341296
As mentioned before, I think you're leaving far too much cash on the bench even despite the job security concerns of other rookies.

Let's start with the premiums, I count 5 (Macrae, Parish, Stewart, Whitfield, Coniglio) while you're hoping Martin, Heeney, Butters, Neale and potentially Hewett can get there. That means you have at least 12 players on your field that ABSOLUTELY need to be upgraded. That's a long way to come back from. Compare that to what I would call the standard structure.. 9 Premiums and 3-4 hopeful premiums, you're premiums are immediately short 4 guys and you're betting on 5 guys to get there whereas others are betting on only 3-4. Accordingly, i'm not a fan of this structure, but you do you!

If you were to stay with this structure.. keeping a lot of money on the bench I'd do the following changes:

Caldwell OUT, Josh Ward onto the field and a 190k midfield rookie on the bench. I just don't think Caldwell is a good pick, too many mouths to feed at Essendon and he doesn't have the pedigree to demand a larger share. Ward potentially outscores him in the first six rounds of the season unless an injury comes to the Essendon midfield. That saves you almost 300k.

Hinge OUT, Answerth or Foley onto the field. Hinge may not even play with Dawson coming back and even if he does the same role he had pre-season won't be there. Go down to Answerth (who i don't like) or Foley and you save 20-40k.

Rioli OUT, Chapman in. Rioli is just not a good fantasy player and is a chance to get dropped from that side. I'd rather play Ralphsmith on my ground than Rioli. Chapman has the better pedigree and you save 60k.

Preuss OUT, 190k ruck in. 370k is way to much to have on the bench, he's suspended for a week, he's not 1st ruck and he's not even guaranteed best 22. If any of those factors change and he becomes viable you can downgrade Witts to him early in the season, but he's not a starting option. Doing that saves you $170k.

Mitch McGovern OUT, Brodie in. McGoverns role is interesting and i applaud you for taking it, but he's not going to get any more ball than Jacob Weitering does on a good day and his best days are 70-75. In contrast, you could have Will Brodie who looks to have locked down an inside mid role at Fremantle and is substantially cheaper. Doing this saves you $76k.

So now you'll have around $626-646k to play with. The question is where to spend the money...

The safe play would be Witts to Grundy which costs you $321k. Grundy is value, he's also a premium (taking your count from 5 to 6 and getting you close to that standard side) and Witts has played half a game of football all pre-season, is coming back from an ACL he did only 11 months ago and has a ceiling of just over 100 in any event. Doing this will still leave you with another $305-325k as well.

From here you'd have the cash to go English to Gawn, which would be my personal recommendation. But i understand the potential upside in English, as well as the DPP flexibility makes him attractive. If you wanted to keep English, there are two options as I see it:
  • 1. continue to cull bench rookies, cut Gibcus and one of Xerri/Rachelle to a 190k and pocket an extra 170k, doing this would leave you with almost 500k to play with and enough to grab Short from that D5 Answerth/Foley/Hinge position. This gives you another premium; or
  • 2. Keep your bench as is and sprinkle the cash on a couple of guys to grab more likely premiums. For example drop one of Dusty/Heeney or Butters (i.d recommend Heeney) and grab Dunkley, while also skip Neale and grab an uber like Kelly, Zerrett or even Miller/Steele. Could also put it on top of Chapman if you don't like him and grab Short from that spot as well. Spend the money on the field and get the additional points.

Last edited:

That forward line is the stuff of nightmares. Bad year to do a backline only team. In the past you could have had Ziebell, Hall, Caleb Daniel, Nick Hind as FWD/DEF options.

Backs: Crisp, Whitfield, Hewett, McInerney, Chapman, McCartin (De Koning, Will Kelly)

Mid: T.Miller, Macrae, T.Mitchell, M.Crouch, Rowell, Daicos, JHF, Ward (C.Stephens, B.Hough)

Ruck: Gawn, Grundy (Hayes)

Fwds: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, W.Brodie, Ralphsmith, Rachele (N.Martin, Baldwin) Util (Durdin)

Opinons welcome

Backs: Crisp, Whitfield, Hewett, McInerney, Chapman, McCartin (De Koning, Will Kelly)

Mid: T.Miller, Macrae, T.Mitchell, M.Crouch, Rowell, Daicos, JHF, Ward (C.Stephens, B.Hough)

Fwds: Dunkley, Coniglio, Butters, W.Brodie, Ralphsmith, Rachele (N.Martin, Baldwin) Util (Durdin)

Opinons welcome
Very good side. (I say this because it's very similar to mine, not sure if that means it's actually good or not).

No Bowey?

Opinons welcome
One of the best teams i have seen... Although i might be slightly biased because we only have 2 on field players different

Alrighty, bit late to the party this year but have been slowly working towards a final team, based on the same archetype all preseason.

Team started out very mid-price heavy and has progessively become more and more mid-priced heavy as rookie options have dried up. I never usually go down this route and I really like the look of it. Has the capacity to crash and burn, but if I can nail a few, might give me an edge. Keen to see how it plays out.

Caldwell has been in and out of my team throughout preseason, but I think I am committed to him now and I see him as value at that price. Fairly sure he was cheaper last year, albeit he was a forward and his hamstrings might be made out of liquorice. Happy with the forward line, originally had De Goey in the Brodie spot as I loved the look of all 5 - being confident that I'd be happy with them at the end of the year also - but cash is king, and he's the one of them that I most see as an upgrade target.

Draper obvious risk but I'll back him in as a POD, loves a tackle but super raw and durability right up in the air. Same thoughts as Chapman, however having a read of the board this morning, it seems as though quite a few have jumped on the train which reduces the risk a bit.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 114324.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alrighty, bit late to the party this year but have been slowly working towards a final team, based on the same archetype all preseason.

Team started out very mid-price heavy and has progessively become more and more mid-priced heavy as rookie options have dried up. I never usually go down this route and I really like the look of it. Has the capacity to crash and burn, but if I can nail a few, might give me an edge. Keen to see how it plays out.

Caldwell has been in and out of my team throughout preseason, but I think I am committed to him now and I see him as value at that price. Fairly sure he was cheaper last year, albeit he was a forward and his hamstrings might be made out of liquorice. Happy with the forward line, originally had De Goey in the Brodie spot as I loved the look of all 5 - being confident that I'd be happy with them at the end of the year also.

Draper obvious risk but I'll back him in as a POD, loves a tackle albeit super raw and durability right up in the air. Same thoughts as Chapman, however having a read of the board this morning, it seems as though quite a few have jumped on the train which reduces the risk a bit.

View attachment 1341378
Good team man, takes me back to the first cut of my team where I had Mills and Duncan. I can't do them personally as I want players who've had a pre-season but I like the balls.

MY only comment would be that I don't think Caldwell is a good pick this year. While the kid is talented, Essendon clearly don't rate him ahead of Merret/Parish/Shiel and he will get stuck on the half forward flank a lot. Reckon you could do well by going Caldwell down to JHF and try and upgrade Draper (who is another i'm not a fan of, seems like a ruckman in the Nic Nat mode were they are more impactful than their scoring actual is).

lol. I wanted to but fair to say that Chapman for 30k more is a much better option. Bowey was featured briefly in the Traders podcast so I don't think he's that bad of a selection.
Haha fair enough. I actually added him to my shortlist a couple of days ago when the defender carnage started. Desperate times called for desperate measures. Thankfully i haven't needed to dig that far into my shortlist just yet, but we'll see once teams come out.

Good team man, takes me back to the first cut of my team where I had Mills and Duncan. I can't do them personally as I want players who've had a pre-season but I like the balls.

MY only comment would be that I don't think Caldwell is a good pick this year. While the kid is talented, Essendon clearly don't rate him ahead of Merret/Parish/Shiel and he will get stuck on the half forward flank a lot. Reckon you could do well by going Caldwell down to JHF and try and upgrade Draper (who is another i'm not a fan of, seems like a ruckman in the Nic Nat mode were they are more impactful than their scoring actual is).
Me when this is clearly correct but I've toyed with it so much I can't not have it

screaming season 10 GIF

Thought I was finished a couple days ago but Touk had to be picked IMO.

Final lineup after 3 months of back and forth and feeling settled pending selection.

B - Crisp, Whitfield, Short, Hewett, Chapman, McCartin

C - Miller, Macrae, Neale, Cripps, Rowell, JHF, Daicos, Ward

R - Gawn, Grundy

F - Dunkley, Cogs, Butters, Brodie, Rachele, Ralphsmith

Opinons welcome

Very very similar to mine. Seems like there's a few of us basically rocking this team. I basically have Sicily over McCartin and as a result sacrificing a bit in midfield (Cripps and Serong instead of Titch and Crouch).

Caldwell has been in and out of my team throughout preseason, but I think I am committed to him now and I see him as value at that price. Fairly sure he was cheaper last year, albeit he was a forward and his hamstrings might be made out of liquorice. Happy with the forward line, originally had De Goey in the Brodie spot as I loved the look of all 5 - being confident that I'd be happy with them at the end of the year also - but cash is king, and he's the one of them that I most see as an upgrade target.

Draper obvious risk but I'll back him in as a POD, loves a tackle but super raw and durability right up in the air. Same thoughts as Chapman, however having a read of the board this morning, it seems as though quite a few have jumped on the train which reduces the risk a bit.

View attachment 1341378
Good to see you Jessbek, welcome back for another group crying session straightforward fantasy year where absolutely nothing will go wrong!

Nice team too, I’ll echo FlowersByIrene’s thoughts on Duncan/Mills/Caldwell but otherwise looks awesome and hey not listening to us will work likely work out in your favour :drunk:

That forward line is the stuff of nightmares. Bad year to do a backline only team. In the past you could have had Ziebell, Hall, Caleb Daniel, Nick Hind as FWD/DEF options.
It’s definitely not the best year for it, but we’re making it work. If it wins a game against one of the teams in our league we can ridicule them for the rest of time, so it’s worth it.

Clark is gone so you need to dump him. Coleman likely out too I'd imagine.

Do you have salary? Can you afford Hall if he plays? Would give you a solid captain
Clark a huge blow, and sweating on Dawson’s fitness too. Hoping some left field decisions get made for R1 teams and give us some options.

Is anyone starting the 3 or even 4 of the big 4? (Miller/Steele/Macrae/Mitchell) If so how does the rest of the team look?

Is anyone starting the 3 or even 4 of the big 4? (Miller/Steele/Macrae/Mitchell) If so how does the rest of the team look?
I did have 3 of them, but made my backline a little weaker and i was taking flyers on upside guys. So I’ve now gone back to just 2 of them and just makes the team a bit more balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back