Position 2022 Fantasy Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you only going to go with one of them which one

Grundy V Gawn
I'm sitting on this too. On one hand Gawn is fully priced and Grundy is under priced due to that neck injury last year but if you're selecting a Marshall as R2 then you probably want Gawn because it feels like he will be the top scoring ruck come seasons end. Not sure which way to go

I'm sitting on this too. On one hand Gawn is fully priced and Grundy is under priced due to that neck injury last year but if you're selecting a Marshall as R2 then you probably want Gawn because it feels like he will be the top scoring ruck come seasons end. Not sure which way to go
yep legit in the same quandary ahah. If not marshall then who? ahaha

I really don't understand the set and forget approach.

Why are rucks considered different to any other position? You don't hear about set and forget defence. Don't we look for value in all 30 positions?

Why are rucks considered different to any other position? You don't hear about set and forget defence. Don't we look for value in all 30 positions?
I'm far from set and forget usually. #1 ruck at R1 and look for under price value at R2. Although you hear the winner usually starts with a set and forget setup.

This year is a little different due to the lack of good options. Marshall, Darcy and a discounted Witts is about as deep as it goes and all have their different issues. For that reason I see it as a genuine set and forget year.. first for me in a while.

I'm far from set and forget usually. #1 ruck at R1 and look for under price value at R2. Although you hear the winner usually starts with a set and forget setup.

This year is a little different due to the lack of good options. Marshall, Darcy and a discounted Witts is about as deep as it goes and all have their different issues. For that reason I see it as a genuine set and forget year.. first for me in a while.
Grundy and Gawn are the Dean Cox and Aaron Sandlilands reboot.

The rucks are unique because Gawn and Grundy are a cut above among a relatively small pool of players, in terms of both price and output. If you take a punt on a Witts or a Darcy, for example, and they underperform, you either have to downgrade to a cheaper ruck (who will probably represent even more risk) or restructure another line to afford Gawn or Grundy. Either way, you’re burning trades just to reach parity with the majority of the competition.

It’s just a very high-risk play with few options in terms of exit strategy.

The days when Cox was your first picked every year and anyone that didn't have him didn't know what they were doing
Back when it was OK to love big cox

I’m more of a Gawn guy, got both but if these Marshall rumours are true Grundy would go for me.
Gawn for me too. He's been amazing to watch transform his game and 2022 will see another notch on his R1 belt.

Grundy as R2 is under threat I reckon. No denying his skill and past averages but the next 4 rucks will be closer to him than most believe.

From all reports, Witts is ready and rearing. Darcy is a beast, and his AAMI scores will fool a few. English is a few kgs heavier (drafted 92kg, now 105kg) and should translate to a heap more hitouts (15.5ave 2021). Marshall is another one I reckon will go big this year.

Exciting times to play around with a few unique combos. I'm currently rolling Gawn/English.

The rucks are unique because Gawn and Grundy are a cut above among a relatively small pool of players, in terms of both price and output. If you take a punt on a Witts or a Darcy, for example, and they underperform, you either have to downgrade to a cheaper ruck (who will probably represent even more risk) or restructure another line to afford Gawn or Grundy. Either way, you’re burning trades just to reach parity with the majority of the competition.

Well said. I’m one of the ones taking a semi-risk by not starting the Gawn half of the Gawndy combo, but your post is the perfect summation of why it’s riskier messing around with the rucks than with other lines

If Ryder comes back with a vengeance or Marshall really stinks it up over a period then cutting your losses at some point is definitely on the cards. The original thing was not to go downgrading to Preuss just because Marshall has a few 90's. Can't believe a point like that was met with any level of push back.. pre-season gone on far too long.
If marshall looked like a 90s guy and preuss an 80-85

While at the same time answorth was delivering 50-60 and Dawson returned and pumped out a 95-100…

You think it’d be a dumb move to go marshall/answerth to preuss/Dawson?

Assuming no other big issues in team (noting this is a rd 3 type scenario)

I had no Gawn all year and finished top 30. It contributed to my success, not cost me better.

It’s too simple to look at 1 line or position in isolation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like I'm going against the grain and going Grundy and Draper.

I have a few reason for this.
Firstly, for value...
Gawn (110) + mid rookie (50) = 160
Draper (75) + Neale (105) = 180

The second reason is the lack of rookies in other lines. I played with set and forget rucks and if there was 4/5 sub $200k players playing rd 1, I'd probably go this way.

Thirdly, Draper is by far and away the cheapest solo ruck who is not only fit, but not under selection pressure. Sure Wright will play 20% ruck time but Draper has shown he can score big and can go fwd and kick a goal.

And finally, I can have less risk by having a few exit strategies....
1 - If Draper fails I can go down to Pruess if he fires. I really like this idea as those that go set and forget are not going to go down to Pruess, even if Gawn and Grundy are only going 105 and Pruess is going 80. This could give me a massive POD and cash generation advantage over set and forget.
2 - I have Xerri in the fwd line, Hayes at R2 and Dixon as Utl. This potentially gives me 4 players that can play at R2.

Firstly, for value...

The second reason is the lack of rookies in other lines. I played with set and forget rucks and if there was 4/5 sub $200k players playing rd 1, I'd probably go this way.

Thirdly, Draper is by far and away the cheapest solo ruck who is not only fit, but not under selection pressure. Sure Wright will play 20% ruck time but Draper has shown he can score big and can go fwd and kick a goal.

1 - If Draper fails I can go down to Pruess if he fires. I really like this idea as those that go set and forget are not going to go down to Pruess, even if Gawn and Grundy are only going 105 and Pruess is going 80. This could give me a massive POD and cash generation advantage over set and forget.
2 - I have Xerri in the fwd line, Hayes at R2 and Dixon as Utl. This potentially gives me 4 players that can play at R2.
Which mid rook is getting the chop?

Firstly, for value...

Good luck. Having had Draper he was a shocking scorer.

You could be behind the eight ball early.

It means that I only have 3 mid rooks on the field, so I guess it's McDonald's score going to the bench
Was trying to work out the $ per point on both scenarios with a bench rook going up to Neale for option B)

Gawn (110) + 190k rook (MacDonald on field 50) = 160 for 1101k
Draper (75) + Neale (105) = 180 1286k

It's an extra 185k spend for those 20 points which is a borderline call.. probably a bit overs. Additionally if the rook in scenario A gets games scoring 50 it will make approx 100k more than Draper will in option B scoring 75 @ 491k

Not trying to shit on the idea as it carries merit in terms of having one less rook when there's limited options. But if there is that M9-10 type rook that looks like getting games then option A wins in both value and cash gen.

Was trying to work out the $ per point on both scenarios with a bench rook going up to Neale for option B)

Gawn (110) + 190k rook (MacDonald on field 50) = 160 for 1101k
Draper (75) + Neale (105) = 180 1286k

It's an extra 185k spend for those 20 points which is a borderline call.. probably a bit overs. Additionally if the rook in scenario A gets games scoring 50 it will make approx 100k more than Draper will in option B scoring 75 @ 491k

Not trying to sh*t on the idea as it carries merit in terms of having one less rook when there's limited options. But if there is that M9-10 type rook that looks like getting games then option A wins in both value and cash gen.
But you miss the cash generation.

Option A might make you $150K (McDonald up $180k, Gawn down $30k)
Option B might make you $300k (Draper up $200k, Neale up $100k)

Also, far less chance that either of the player in option B get dropped!

And finally, it's flexibility in what could be a covid effected year.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a risky play, but you have to take a risk somewhere!!!

But you miss the cash generation.

Option A might make you $150K (McDonald up $180k, Gawn down $30k)
Option B might make you $300k (Draper up $200k, Neale up $100k)

Also, far less chance that either of the player in option B get dropped!

And finally, it's flexibility in what could be a covid effected year.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a risky play, but you have to take a risk somewhere!!!
The $$ Gawn or Neale make shouldn't come into your calculations there as they're keepers. Only their starting price and what they should average really matters.

Draper would need to average about 83 to make 200k, a rook would need to average 47 to make the same.
If they all average what you predict then A) goes at 6875 $ per point, B) 7144 $ per point

What I'm saying is the upside in B) isn't the value.. it's the POD and all the other things you mentioned that will make it the better option if it proves to be so. Not saying you should go one way or the other, just trying to help you get a more accurate picture before making the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back