No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love it when Jeff Kennett takes the moral high ground.
Yesterday

Today (HS)

Just a few points;
Kennett was President at the start of when the allegations were made and of course the same man who proudly took his golliwogs (incl one named Buddy) on a radio program and has also been criticised by the Riolis.
Taking a partisan Lib position when the club is seeking funding for their proposed Dingley base, which has not been forthcoming, may not be the most sensible option.
Kennett's nominated successor was the Chair of the Nominations committee who couldn't find a suitable candidate to replace Kennett, until lo and behold he looked in the mirror one day.
And probably should mention the huge payout to Clarkson when Kennett decided to move him on.

And yet Jeffy thinks it's inappropriate for Gowers & Merlino to talk about "....governance when making sadly inaccurate, intemperate comments.” :think:

With friends like Jeff......

As Bedders said, the flogs original tweet regarding this was likely while he was on the sauce. Pretty sure I saw one where he kept calling him Merino not Merlino.

I swear I have taught 8 year olds with better filters on what is appropriate and what is not than half of these public figures.

I love Buddy, and feel privileged to have watched the last nine year and lucky to be offered 'one more'...

But, JESUS!!! I am sick to death of hearing about him... I wish they'd all just shut up!

If he's playing well... they crap on and on about him being the GOAT!
If he's getting the ball often, but not kicking well... the Swans are too Buddy-centric!
If he's not presenting well and not getting much of the ball... the Swans need to lower their eyes and kick it to Buddy!

They make idiots of themselves week after week, just so they can mention his name... It's like it gives them a free pass for not talking about anyone else!

I've been re-watching the last few seasons (some really good development) and this is giving the shits so much that I just had to share!

Sorry... Rant over.
Just on Buddy - I watched the 2012 GF on Fox last night (which reminded me why Hanners was such a fan favourite).

Buddy kicked a few, but missed PLENTY.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say he had a bit of a stinker.

And on that basis - I think we can say that Buddy HAS won us a flag.

No idea why people interact with anyone outside of the Swans board on here. If I wanted to converse with stupidity I'd ring into Sky News
Main board Bigfooty is on the same sort of level as footy Facebook, only with slightly less racism. You know you're ****in bad when you make Reddit look good by comparison.

No it isn't , it was somehow about the board . Trust me there was no racism by the 3 people accused .

I do like how everyone has jumped to one conclusion...has anyone heard of innocent till proven? Honestly it's a sensitive topic I get it, but everyone retains that right whether it be an allegation or in the courts. Just let it play out, and my feeling is your view too, these 3 will be cleared.

I just can’t quite agree here.

Yes, there are problem gamblers.

But there’s also a wowser element that wants to ban horse racing, greyhound racing, anything that doesn’t suit their particular sensibilities.

As someone who enjoys a punt, I get a bit tired of the moral guardians of society trying to ban things I rather enjoy.

Having said that, I do see benefit in reigning in the advertising.

Personally, I think it’d be more impactful to include a mandatory statement in gambling ads (like they do on tobacco products) pointing out the truth of gambling - the return on odds offered is typically around 92%, meaning that in the long run, you will lose. The “gamble responsibly” statement has absolutely zero impact. A statement telling you that you will lose would be more impactful.

There is no "typical return" on sports or horse race gambling. It's for losers. If you win on a consistent basis many of these companies will close your account. So if people have a sports bet account, make no mistake, you are very probably a loser.

The argument you responded to was to ban advertising - not the activity itself. You responded by providing tobacco as an example.
Hello? They banned tobacco advertising. Now losers can still smoke, but less and less people, especially kids do.
Perfect.

There is no "typical return" on sports or horse race gambling. It's for losers. If you win on a consistent basis many of these companies will close your account. So if people have a sports bet account, make no mistake, you are very probably a loser.

The argument you responded to was to ban advertising - not the activity itself. You responded by providing tobacco as an example.
Hello? They banned tobacco advertising. Now losers can still smoke, but less and less people, especially kids do.
Perfect.
I prefer to not judge & brand someone a “loser” simply because they smoke or gamble.

I believe that life is about personal choice and personal responsibility for those choices.

And yes, there is a typical return. Australasian totalisators are required to return a fixed %. Fixed odds markets are set to a certain % and all the bookies largely follow each other on the market price fluctuations.

Last edited:
Main board Bigfooty is on the same sort of level as footy Facebook, only with slightly less racism. You know you're *in bad when you make Reddit look good by comparison.
I went on Reddit once for some reason and then I saw words like "flare" and "sub" being bandied about. I don't have the bandwidth for sites and apps that require their own dictionaries!

I went on Reddit once for some reason and then I saw words like "flare" and "sub" being bandied about. I don't have the bandwidth for sites and apps that require their own dictionaries!
"Sub" is short for "sub-reddit" being the equivalent of BigFooty's boards.
"Flare" is a small thing under your username used to help "identify" you in terms of that particular sub's interest. So in the AFL sub, you'd flare as a "Sydney Swan", "South Melbourne" or "Rowbottom's number 1 fan" so people can see that when you post, you have a Sydney Swans bias. The same as BigFooty's "AFL Club" under your username

No idea why people interact with anyone outside of the Swans board on here. If I wanted to converse with stupidity I'd ring into Sky News
There are a few reasonable posters on the MB and we even have a few advocates who fight in our corner like sherb from Carlton and Kwality from West Coast.

However, in general it’s a hot mess over there. Indeed, if you really want to suffer then read through one or two of the hundreds of Academy threads knocking around. There seems to be a overwhelming desire from mainly Victorians but also SAs to repeatedly demonstrate their profound and complete ignorance of football reality outside their home states.

I have lurked the AFL subreddit for too long and I can't decide whether I dislike the subreddit or the MB more. The subreddit feels like a mates group chat where in-jokes are king, people just recycle the hot topics that FOX or Triple M wants discussed ad nausem, and an overfocus on the 'stars' of teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have lurked the AFL subreddit for too long and I can't decide whether I dislike the subreddit or the MB more. The subreddit feels like a mates group chat where in-jokes are king, people just recycle the hot topics that FOX or Triple M wants discussed ad nausem, and an overfocus on the 'stars' of teams.
This typifies a lot of the subs. Very clique group, and you can't go against the grain

Fun facts #Episode127

Since the Donnie’s last won a Final

1. Twitter was launched and has been right royally Musked

2. One Billion people have been added to the world’s population

Good to see our most talented, most likeable and most marketable player & Isaac Heeney hanging out

BE27482F-2CBF-4BF1-AC60-D7F1F77B4C9D.jpeg

Good day Swans supporters.

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I have been following the game since 2016, and footy has become my sole sports focus.

I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good day Swans supporters.

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I have been following the game since 2016, and footy has become my sole sports focus.

I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good luck with it Craig and have fun! Lots to work with there!

"Sub" is short for "sub-reddit" being the equivalent of BigFooty's boards.
"Flare" is a small thing under your username used to help "identify" you in terms of that particular sub's interest. So in the AFL sub, you'd flare as a "Sydney Swan", "South Melbourne" or "Rowbottom's number 1 fan" so people can see that when you post, you have a Sydney Swans bias. The same as BigFooty's "AFL Club" under your username

Thanks for that - informative.

While we're at it, can anyone explain what is the difference between this board and RedandWhiteOnline? Is there any particular reason they both exist? Do they have points of distinction?

Thanks for that - informative.

While we're at it, can anyone explain what is the difference between this board and RedandWhiteOnline? Is there any particular reason they both exist? Do they have points of distinction?
Ran by different people and sie. Given BigFooty caters to all Aussie Rules fans not just Sydney supporters, it is much larger

I got an infraction a couple of times for posting the name redandwhiteonline , that mod is no longer a mod on this board.
You're doing better than me bedders. Up til last year whenever someone would say 'RWO' I thought they were talking about a person, ROK, LRT etc.

I kept thinking "who the **** is this RWO bloke everyone keeps getting information from"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back