Live Event 2022 Leon Davis Medal - CONGRATULATIONS Gary Rohan lifetime finals potato status achieved

Leon Davis Medal 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong fans trying hard to get Buddy over the line 🤣
Considering the absolute dominance the cats had, Gary Rohan must have been running away from the footy to create forward line space for his team mates.

I never realised he had such bad teeth. Look at the middle tooth on his right side (our left). Funny colour and bent. Maybe a footy injury? And the next one also... gum exposed. I don't know, but it looks like he has problems with his bottom teeth as well (gaps/unevenness). Never seen his face that close-up. Geez. Irrelevant to the thread, but still... does anyone know the state of Rohan's teeth? Might influence some votes. (Cause we all know that votes on this thread are completely legit).

In your hearts you all know it's Franklin
The money, the reputation, the expectation
The announcement that he's playing on next year (Don't do it, Swans!)
Just do the right thing
You’ve got it all wrong. Reputation/expectation has nothing to do with worst on.

Leon was never a high expectation player. Was best 22 due to frequent moments of sheer brilliance. Which were notably absent in grand finals, hence the commemoration.

By pure definition the ‘22 nominee has to be Rohan. It’s just partisanship that flogs are pushing the Buddy line

In your hearts you all know it's Franklin
The money, the reputation, the expectation
The announcement that he's playing on next year (Don't do it, Swans!)
Just do the right thing
giphy.gif

Dude, I wasn't singling out the Dees fans. I was talking about everyone. I've gone to tons of AFL games over the decades. Not just Hawthorn games. Loads of games as a neutral. I've watched all the great forwards: Plugger, Dunstall, Dermie, Sticks, TD, Merrett, Ablett, Suma, Modra, Carey, Hird, Grant, Loewe, A.Lynch, Richo, Lloyd, Gehrig, Hall, Tredrea, Brown, Fev, Rooey, Pav, Hawkins, Tex, JK, Roughy, J.Riewoldt, T.Lynch, Cameron and Buddy.

I'm telling you... no other forward managed to cause opposition fans to get as vocal. Buddy stands alone. Not just general abuse and sledging, but people cheering his failures, roaring en masse whenever he stuffed up. Also the howls of indignation whenever he got a free kick. Literally twice the volume as other key forwards.

People booed Carey and they also gave plenty of curry to Dermie and Barry Hall. But it paled into insignificance compared to the barracking whenever Buddy played. Even going back to his first 2 seasons when he was just a gangly teenager finding his way in the AFL. Grown men all around me were bagging the shiit out of him and shouting "Onya Duddy!!!" whenever he made a mistake. Not isolated incidents. I'm talking about every game he played.

It never bothered me as a Hawks fan. I just always found it interesting. There's always perfectly good reasons why people heckle him. I not saying people are heckling because they hate "abos". But those same reasons for heckling also apply to other key forwards and the volume just doesn't compare. Not even close. There's something extra...

Some might say it was because Buddy is so charismatic... oozing magnetism, star quality and x-factor. Too damn good, just like Carey. Big money, big media profile, off field shenanigans... That's all part of it. I also think it's because he's a 198cm black guy who stands out from the crowd.

Similar to when Andrew Symonds & the Aussies toured India. Those Indian crowds watched his every move. They couldn't take their eyes off him and they'd get into a lather about every little thing he did. Every gesture. The whole crowd would go apeshit every time he appealed and was turned down, or whenever he fielded the ball off his own bowling and threw at the stumps. Perfectly valid reasons for heckling an opposition blower... But it was at three or four times the volume than when the other Aussie bowlers did that. Literally the whole crowd were braying.

You tell me why this is so. It's definitely a thing. It's not my imagination, for f**k's sake...
You see what you want to see.
His first few years - likely he was an early pick who wasn't living up to his potential. Jack Watts copped similar treatment from our fanbase.
Unlike Jack, it eventually clicked for Buddy.
What Franklin copped is nothing compared to what Watts dealt with his entire career.
I realise Franklin would have copped it from all oppo supporters, but you did single out his treatment in the Qualifying Final.
If you watch that match again, you'll see Franklin being towelled up by May and having to resort to charging straight at May and feigning being pushed over in order to draw a free. It happened a couple of times.
We also gave it to Zorko for his treatment of Harry Petty the following week.
Papley also copped it in the GF for his GF Parade antics. Buddy would have copped it for his performance relative to his paycheck.
I also imagine Hawks fans would have given it to him for chasing coin while their Premiership window was wide open - and to a team who had beaten you in the previous years Grand Final, no less.

Last edited:
Be honest how many of you are picking Rohan because he's a Ginger

I changed one of my votes from Buddy to Rohan cause Geelong flogs really are defending another Rohan Poo Poo pants finals performance again.
Plus want to see Handbag melts

You’ve got it all wrong. Reputation/expectation has nothing to do with worst on.

Leon was never a high expectation player. Was best 22 due to frequent moments of sheer brilliance. Which were notably absent in grand finals, hence the commemoration.

By pure definition the ‘22 nominee has to be Rohan. It’s just partisanship that flogs are pushing the Buddy line

So the Medal is for someone who wasn't expected to do much, and ... didn't?
Where's the fun in that?
I'm serious about Buddy btw, you'll be a force again next year but you should give his spot to one of the kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're focusing on why one of your stars doesn't really deserve the (probably rigged) worst player award... in a forum where one of the biggest threads tells you "much lies and bullshit."

And then bringing racism into it? Yeah, nah.
Not even one of his teams players.
He's simping for a player who left his club to chase a massive payday at the Swans.

Which is exactly why he shouldn’t have
The Leon is genuinely Buddy’s. Kicked his 1000th goal against Geelong earlier this year but on Saturday he just CBF.
Rohan was a complete passenger, no excuses, but did anyone expect anything more except maybe Chris Scott..?

I think it should stay the Leon Davis medal and Buddy deserves it.

Can't really give to a player who won a premiership medallion unless his performance was so bad it almost lost the game for the team, especially when the opposition has at least 10 players who were as bad or worse on the day. So you get a pass this year Mr Rohan.

So how to choose when the Bloods contract haemophilia and completely soil the bed...go with the selfish guy who put his hand up despite going at half rat power and denying a young emerging player a chance of playing in a GF? No - that's on the coach for picking him.

Therefore it goes to multi-trillionaire who once again disappears when his team needs him to stand up, as if tackled by the ghost of Dale Morris...congratulations Lance "Not your Buddy on GF day" Franklin.
If you can’t give a Leon to somebody who’s on the premiership winning team, than Nafan Buckley needs to hand his 2002 Norm Smith medal to the more deserving winner Michael Voss asap.. :$

Medal really should be renamed the Gary Rohan, or at the very least the Leon-Rohan.

Leon sucked in 3 of 4 Grand Finals whereas Rohan is a perfect 4/4. Fun fact: Leon had more tackles in 2011 than Gary Rohan has had across all 4 Grand finals.

It just feels illogical to name a the medal after a guy who is usually sh*t vs a guy who is always sh*t.

There are hundreds of players in AFL history who have only ever played like sh*t in a Grand Final (many because they sucked in their only appearance). Leon Davis is not one of them.

This way people can also vote for Buddy without robbing Gary Rohan of his career glory.

Stolen from WEOOF:

Gary Rohan vs Leon Davis

4 GF’s vs 4 GF’s

16 quarters vs 16 quarters (480 minutes game time including time on)

For

24 Disposals vs 36 Disposals
1 Goal vs 1 Goal
2 Behinds vs 1 Behind

For the epic body of work - it has to be Rohan

Correction: Leon has kicked 2 GF goals (one in 2003, one in 2010) not one.

An important nitpick when the figures are this comically low.

Rohan out-Leons Leon in every respect.

Medal really should be renamed the Gary Rohan, or at the very least the Leon-Rohan.

Leon sucked in 3 of 4 Grand Finals whereas Rohan is a perfect 4/4. Fun fact: Leon had more tackles in 2011 than Gary Rohan has had across all 4 Grand finals.

It just feels illogical to name a the medal after a guy who is usually sh*t vs a guy who is always sh*t.

There are hundreds of players in AFL history who have only ever played like sh*t in a Grand Final (many because they sucked in their only appearance). Leon Davis is not one of them.

This way people can also vote for Buddy without robbing Gary Rohan of his career glory.
Why we keep having this discussion every year is beyond me. This award was named in Leon’s “honour” after he was dropped for the 2010 replay, then received a premiership medal for the replay in which he didn’t play in. That situation will never happen again.

Why we keep having this discussion every year is beyond me. This award was named in Leon’s “honour” after he was dropped for the 2010 replay, then received a premiership medal for the replay in which he didn’t play in. That situation will never happen again.

Because of the very real chance - if people keep voting Buddy - that Rohan could end his career without even a single Leon medal despite his GF career being objectively worse in every respect than Leon himself, feels like a massive insult to the spirit of the award.

I can understand not wanting to erase the OG's name. But I think renaming it the Leon-Rohan Medal is an entirely sensible compromise that respects Gary's unparalleled contribution to awfulness.

Pisstake history should be respected just like real history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event 2022 Leon Davis Medal - CONGRATULATIONS Gary Rohan lifetime finals potato status achieved

Back