List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the evidence suggests otherwise but I fail to see how having Pearce, Logue and Cox in the backline is too cumbersome. Pearce and Logue should lock down and mitts Cox can be a much lighter, less fat version of Jeremy McGovern.
I think you have to add Ryan into that mix. Plus, you are kicking out one of Chapman, Walker or Young to make it happen.

I dont think all of Logue, Ryan, Cox and Pearce are a good mix. I'd personally argue any of 3 of the 4 are as good as eachother but seem to have defnitively decided the Ryan / Cox / Pearce combo is the best

******* not far off it.

Honestly, we give em s**t, but the Blue's supporters are pretty good to talk trades with. The ones that comment on the trade board understand what it will cost.

There's simply no way the Suns take less for Rankine than we got for Cerra and Adelaide supporters are adamant they can break up 5 and give Suns the crumbs
One thing that is guaranteed this trade period is that Gold Coast want to turn the crows into road kill when it comes to Rankine. Dew and their CEO are fuming about this one. They put together a fair offer for Rankine. Adelaide have gone crazy high. Threat of PSD… well Weat Coast (and I’m led to believe North) would happily sign him up at a high price well before Adelaide.

One thing that is guaranteed this trade period is that Gold Coast want to turn the crows into road kill when it comes to Rankine. Dew and their CEO are fuming about this one. They put together a fair offer for Rankine. Adelaide have gone crazy high. Threat of PSD… well Weat Coast (and I’m led to believe North) would happily sign him up at a high price well before Adelaide.
I want them to absolutely extort Adelaide because their posters are shitting me

I think you have to add Ryan into that mix. Plus, you are kicking out one of Chapman, Walker or Young to make it happen.

I dont think all of Logue, Ryan, Cox and Pearce are a good mix. I'd personally argue any of 3 of the 4 are as good as eachother but seem to have defnitively decided the Ryan / Cox / Pearce combo is the best
Didn't we play it that way when Logue was given a specific job. Curnow, Buddy etc.

Didn't we play it that way when Logue was given a specific job. Curnow, Buddy etc.
Probably, good point, probably works when Logue is given a specific job because he can shut down players others cant AND the players he can shut down, other team rely on a lot, so it adds a lot of value.

I know we've discussed this and I understand the reasons for not being comfortable with the trade but trust when I say that any lowballing of players has absolutely nothing to do with fitting Jackson in. We were legitimately after Brayshaw as well as Jackson and we've apparently upped our offer again to Logue. If we lose Logue it's because he's chased a godfather offer from North and there's nothing to be done about it
Lets hope your contacts are better than his then.

After seeing what Adelaide are throwing at Rankine, I’m very happy with $800,000-$1,000,000 for Jackson.

Honestly, notwithstanding that Rankine is never coming here over Adelaide and seems a little flaky so far, he is much closer to the player we need than Jackson is. In fact, he might be exactly the type.

Lets hope your contacts are better than his then.

Honestly, notwithstanding that Rankine is never coming here over Adelaide and seems a little flaky so far, he is much closer to the player we need than Jackson is. In fact, he might be exactly the type.
Probs not, but Edmund is drawing lines between things because it generates chat, not because it's what he's been told. CTB has the best contact going around and we arent lowballing Logue (anymore anway).

Think Belly an J-Lo could lay out to Logue that Chapman has midfield/wing on his horizon and if defence is his preferred area the role will be there for him.
Same with the forward line, Lobb/Tabs/Fyfe are old, leaving or injured and a spot could be his if he wants to make it his.

Honestly not worried with Logue, he has everything he needs here, the management team are not idiots and will clearly see the value of Logue and pay him what he is worth. If he's been given the godfather offer for long term contract elsewhere, well then there is nothing we can do about it anyway.

Acres is the one player i'd be okay with getting 'squeezed' out from the Jackson trade. Henry/Johnson/Worner waiting in the wings to step into his position. Looks like the role of our wingers are straight forward roles that don't require much footy 'smarts'. Just a lot of gut running and mentality to keep your width and get deep into attack and defence. Think the club see's this and are not going to budge on paying Acres top dollar for 1/3 good seasons witht he 1 being in his final year.

I think our small forwards are good enough and with some quality coaching could be much, much better. Switta is excellent in F50 stoppages and they’re all quality pressure forwards, they just have bad positioning when crumbing off a pack. That can be coached. Yes, raw talent is a factor, but forward craft is more amenable to coaching than being a 200cm athletic freak.

Logue - I think this will all come down to where he sees himself in our lineup. Obviously money talks too, but he seems a loyal type of bloke, team orientated etc. If our club has said we see you as excess to our preferred back 7 but someone we wish to develop as a forward then he may grasp that opportunity on less pay. He also fits straight in should we have an injury to a tall back 7 player. BUT if he feels he's a defensive first player and a club has come with a cheque book and promise to bolster their back 7, then that may be hard to not accept.

I find him very hard to place in our line up. He's not best back 7 if everyone fits. I personally don't view him as a forward, although he's been impressive so far in that unknown role. So in a silly sort of way he's not best 22 despite demanding it... yes I know, that doesn't make sense.

I think he's the best insurance player of probably all clubs.

In all seriousness if Taberner, Lobb and Fyfe were all genuinely fit to play as forwards, Logue is the one getting dropped.

Anyway, I actually hope he signs. He's been very reliable this year. If he goes, It won't bother me that it means Amiss and Treacy get more looks.

If some talls in our backline get injured, and Logue has left, well that will suck.
I think Louge wants to stay but he also wants To be looked after with the new contract. He'd want good money and contract length but i think it will be a 4 year deal on middle money.

I also believe it's a good sign that there have been no reports that X club has shown high interest or are making offers.

It's all apart of Snake Young's game.

Probs not, but Edmund is drawing lines between things because it generates chat, not because it's what he's been told. CTB has the best contact going around and we arent lowballing Logue (anymore anway).
Yes that's possible. To be fair, I don't think Logue leaves, but then I didn't think Neale would either.
I think our small forwards are good enough and with some quality coaching could be much, much better. Switta is excellent in F50 stoppages and they’re all quality pressure forwards, they just have bad positioning when crumbing off a pack. That can be coached. Yes, raw talent is a factor, but forward craft is more amenable to coaching than being a 200cm athletic freak.
You can't teach Rankine's innate ability any more than you can teach Jackson's. There is a reason why after 13 years in the system that Jamie Cripps isn't as good as Eddie Betts was.

As Snuffaluphagus knows, I don't think Jackson is generational. The best comparison I've heard is Blicavs. Whilst he is a good player and you'd be happy to have him, I wouldn't give up two years worth of first rounders and 700k pa when we have boatloads of young talent to sign up in future and a C grade forward line that's in dire need of proper quality, especially since Sturt seems like he can't be bothered to chase and tackle every week.

I don't really care what we do with 2nd rounders onwards, but I am not trading first rounders unless its a no-brainer (like Petracca/Bolton asking to come west). I have Jackson a long way off that. Lets wait until he is the player most of you think he is going to be. I'll happily pay a premium then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All seems straightforward to me. Get Jackson - opportunities like this come along once a decade at most. Keep Logue as he is a useful player with upside who wants to stay. Get what we can for Lobb on the basis that he wants out and is at peak value. Keep Acres if we can afford him but if he wants the money/tenure elsewhere, wish him all the best.

I want them to absolutely extort Adelaide because their posters are shitting me
Fair enough. I care not about other club posters. Word is Gold Coast want to go gangnam style on this one. Near rage. They told Carlton where to go with their pathetic offers on Jack Martin. Making them pay up big time for his upfront salary. They weren’t happy with us and Weller but had no bargaining power.

This one is line in the sand s*#t.

Yes that's possible. To be fair, I don't think Logue leaves, but then I didn't think Neale would either.

You can't teach Rankine's innate ability any more than you can teach Jackson's. There is a reason why after 13 years in the system that Jamie Cripps isn't as good as Eddie Betts was.

As Snuffaluphagus knows, I don't think Jackson is generational. The best comparison I've heard is Blicavs. Whilst he is a good player and you'd be happy to have him, I wouldn't give up two years worth of first rounders and 700k pa when we have boatloads of young talent to sign up in future and a C grade forward line that's in dire need of proper quality, especially since Sturt seems like he can't be bothered to chase and tackle every week.

I don't really care what we do with 2nd rounders onwards, but I am not trading first rounders unless its a no-brainer (like Petracca/Bolton asking to come west). I have Jackson a long way off that. Lets wait until he is the player most of you think he is going to be. I'll happily pay a premium then.
You're overrating draft picks (late teens draft picks). We have drafted better than anyone since 2016. We can't fit first/high second round draft picks into the side and we have one of the 6-youngest lists in the competition (the others except for Sydney are mostly basket cases facing years of rebuilding). If we don't recruit Jackson now there won't be a similar opportunity for years. Rankine, along with all the other players on wish lists on these boards, was/is never coming to Fremantle.

Fair enough. I care not about other club posters. Word is Gold Coast want to go gangnam style on this one. Near rage. They told Carlton where to go with their pathetic offers on Jack Martin. Making them pay up big time for his upfront salary. They weren’t happy with us and Weller but had no bargaining power.

This one is line in the sand s*#t.
It’s the lack of logic Koops, shit like “we’ll use our future first because we want to use pick 5 on a mid”, like what is that logic? It’s enough to drive any logical operator insane

You're overrating draft picks (late teens draft picks). We have drafted better than anyone since 2016. We can't fit first/high second round draft picks into the side and we have one of the 6-youngest lists in the competition (the others except for Sydney are mostly basket cases facing years of rebuilding). If we don't recruit Jackson now there won't be a similar opportunity for years. Rankine, along with all the other players on wish lists on these boards, was/is never coming to Fremantle.
I struggle with this one, I’ve gone back and forth in my head on draft picks vs trading with picks being overrated and I’m still confused but I think my stance is this:
  • Long term, draft picks will always be the cheapest way to bring talent. Cheap in salary, cheap in actual draft capital. You can not be competitive without drafting well and using draft picks (see St Kilda)
  • the exception to this is top 3 picks which are egregiously overrated for the most part.
  • Trading for players is expensive but required to finish off your list as there is diminishing returns on having talent on your list like you’ve said.

Effectively, draft picks aren’t overrated, they are rated appropriately for the most part, there just comes a time when they are no longer the best way to bring players in

Last edited:
I think you could go over the last 10-15 years drafts. Look at picks 10-20 over any 2 year period.

There’s so many combinations of players. I’d argue there’s more miss than hits. In the combinations.

In other words, giving up 2 first rounders isn’t the end of the world and Jackson’s base is easily worth a first alone.

I struggle with this one, I’ve gone and forth in my head on draft picks vs trading with picks being overrated and I’m still confused but I think my stance is this:
  • Long term, draft picks will always be the cheapest way to bring talent. Cheap in salary, cheap in actual draft capital. You can not be competitive without drafting well and using draft picks (see St Kilda)
  • the exception to this is top 3 picks which are egregiously overrated for the most part.
  • Trading for players is expensive but required to finish off your list as there is diminishing returns on having talent on your list like you’ve said.

Effectively, draft picks aren’t overrated, they are rated appropriately for the most part, there just comes a time when they are no longer the best way to bring players in
I don't necessarily disagree. I suppose I was arguing that draft picks - especially double-digit draft picks - are overrated at our stage of development, i.e, six years of largely nailing drafts. My other point is that trading is opportunity-based - we'd all love to add Fogarty, Pickett and Rankine to our list but that ain't happening. So we settle for bringing in a high first round draft pick who has performed to that level and is about to feature in his second big dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back