List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need their billionaire family on the board that also pays over a dozen of their playing list to supplement their salary.

If someone like Andrew Forrest walked onto the board and started paying half our list to be environmental spokespeople for FMG the AFL would shut it down in a day.
Aren’t we doing that with Banfield and him being the sustainability officer?

Aren’t we doing that with Banfield and him being the sustainability officer?

That's different because he is working for FFC and FFC.

Carlton player is paid by Carlton on the salary cap and then also by the company owned by the family of the board member and former president.

A similar case would be if half our list was earning $100,000 from near zero contact hours at Alcock Homes.

It would let us pay all our fringe players base contracts.

Wtf - just read that Carlton have cap space.

We need to recruit their accountant.

Unbelievable.

Hard to take the salary cap seriously these days - apparently Melbourne can afford Grundy. Like Taylor is insinuating there has to be more to it. Reminds me of billionaires working around the tax system - illegal yet legal all the same.

Hard to take the salary cap seriously these days - apparently Melbourne can afford Grundy. Like Taylor is insinuating there has to be more to it. Reminds me of billionaires working around the tax system - illegal yet legal all the same.
I think Melbourne plan to use Jackson's money.

So Collingwood the only big VIC club that plays by the Salary Cap rules?

There has to be an inquiry into Carlton cause that’s bullshit.

All it would take is one player text to their manager saying something like "so we sign at Carlton for $125,000 instead of Essendon for $250,000 and they pay the difference with a $125,000 from Visy?" and they are done.

But so is the player, the player manager and until the story is entirely beyond dismissal and doubt - so is the career of the AFL accredited journalist.

All it would take is one player text to their manager saying something like "so we sign at Carlton for $125,000 instead of Essendon for $250,000 and they pay the difference with a $125,000 from Visy?" and they are done.

But so is the player, the player manager and until the story is entirely beyond dismissal and doubt - so is the career of the AFL accredited journalist.
McGovern, Martin and Williams on overs. Curnow,McKay, Cripps on big money. There may be a few more..

There should already be an inquest.

McGovern, Martin and Williams on overs. Curnow,McKay, Cripps on big money. There may be a few more..

That's not where you'll find the cheating, it's in the lesser players signed to small contracts that have their total payments brought up to market value by external agreements that lets Carlton pay the big names at market rate.

The likes of Fogarty, O'Brien, Durdin, Plowman, Marchbank, Newman, Fisher, Newnes, Ed Curnow, Setterfield, Owies etc on base contracts can open up an extra million dollars to spend. We aren't talking about huge money here, $200,000 contracts down to $100,000 with the extra from Visy achieves that extra million.

While I like the Riccardi option, I just looked at GWS list and, well we think our forward stocks are bad.. Grim! If I was Kingsley I’d be wanting to keep the only young potentially talented KPF on the list.
I also think with that in mind they’ll make a strong play for Lobb. That was his initial option wasn’t it? And it’s not often a player is keen on a move there, so why wouldn’t they.
Plus as mentioned with all the likely departures they should be be able to offer the best value for a trade.
I really like the Riccardi option, I have seen him be compared to Sturt but I think he will finish as a better player than Sturt.

Jake Riccardi has kicked 34 goals out of 11 appearances in the VFL going goalless in a single game that he played CHB.
Sam Sturt has kicked 36 goals out of 29 appearances in the WAFL going goalless in 14 games.

It's natural to be a bit biased towards our own players but I feel there is some serious overrating of our own players going on, Sturt has played 1 good game of AFL footy when he kicked 3 but guess what, Ryan Nyhuis also kicked 4 in a game!

The fact is if Sturt can't get a game in this abysmal forward line and we'd rather play Banfield down forward over him, especially with both Tabs and Lobb out injured then we need to look elsewhere, I think Riccardi would be a great addition to the list and has more to work with then Sturt IMO.

I really like the Riccardi option, I have seen him be compared to Sturt but I think he will finish as a better player than Sturt.

Jake Riccardi has kicked 34 goals out of 11 appearances in the VFL going goalless in a single game that he played CHB.
Sam Sturt has kicked 36 goals out of 29 appearances in the WAFL going goalless in 14 games.

It's natural to be a bit biased towards our own players but I feel there is some serious overrating of our own players going on, Sturt has played 1 good game of AFL footy when he kicked 3 but guess what, Ryan Nyhuis also kicked 4 in a game!

The fact is if Sturt can't get a game in this abysmal forward line and we'd rather play Banfield down forward over him, especially with both Tabs and Lobb out injured then we need to look elsewhere, I think Riccardi would be a great addition to the list and has more to work with then Sturt IMO.
Good argument but deep down I'll never be convinced because we never bothered to find out. Sturt is very quick and most defenders can't go with him on the lead. Surely a creative coach can do something with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good argument but deep down I'll never be convinced because we never bothered to find out. Sturt is very quick and most defenders can't go with him on the lead. Surely a creative coach can do something with that
I do think that our forward coaching can and will improve. I don't buy that it is simply a personnel issue. Sure superstar forwards make a difference, but Carlton aren't playing finals and have both Coleman Medalists from this year and last year.

Great coaches may not be able to make silk purses from sows ears, but we can improve.

• Logue had no prep for what always seemed a possible scenario.
  • When we play a small forward line it rarely looks like we play to their advantage.
  • We still struggle against the best tall interceptors and lack an effective strategy to negate their impact.
These are not simply personnel issues. They are coaching.

Coaching is no doubt crucial to any improvement, but it is interesting to compare the level of talent we have in the forward line compared to the back half.

The backline is oozing with early draft picks and prized junior talent. Compare this to the forward half and it's like chalk and cheese!

There's not going to be an inquest. The AFL would 100% know about it and has either signed off or turned a blind eye.

I mean, the AFL do it themselves. For example, they have been paying a huge chunk of Coniglio's salary for him to be one of their ambassadors. It is a legit position and he has won community awards, but he would be getting big bucks outside the salary cap so the AFL can help prop up GWS.

The only thing to do is to join them. Which we are probably already doing, just to a lesser extent than the likes of WC, Carlton and Geelong. The Cats situation is laughable ... "everyone is happy to get paid unders for success", while Costa and co are giving them real estate deals and so forth. Watch them bring in a Taranto or Hopper at the end of the year and they magically have room to pay them.

Presumably Rankine leaving makes it less likely to trade Sexton, if indeed that ever was an option

So I asked around, Riccardi has supposedly been telling people he wants out since mid year.

I do think he fits the majority of our criteria
  • Not a stopgap mature fill in, but old enough he's not 4 years away if he makes it at AFL level
  • Good age where you can get for cheap and possibly he has a break out year
  • Not been turned down by Carnthedockers yet =)

Contracted for next year so maybe it's not possible but it's a crazy arse off-season and GWS are having a firesale by the looks so it's within expectations

Just so everyone knows, if we ever have to trade with the Crows, I'm placing a ban on any Freo supporter commenting in the thread. Nothing good can come from discussing trades with Crow's supporters
rankine for a 2nd im guessing?

rankine for a 2nd im guessing?
****ing not far off it.

Honestly, we give em shit, but the Blue's supporters are pretty good to talk trades with. The ones that comment on the trade board understand what it will cost.

There's simply no way the Suns take less for Rankine than we got for Cerra and Adelaide supporters are adamant they can break up 5 and give Suns the crumbs

So I asked around, Riccardi has supposedly been telling people he wants out since mid year.

I do think he fits the majority of our criteria
  • Not a stopgap mature fill in, but old enough he's not 4 years away if he makes it at AFL level
  • Good age where you can get for cheap and possibly he has a break out year
  • Not been turned down by Carnthedockers yet =)

Contracted for next year so maybe it's not possible but it's a crazy arse off-season and GWS are having a firesale by the looks so it's within expectations

E Online Tongue GIF by E!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back