Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Intensity, 2nd efforts. His tackles inside 50s and pressure act stats are going to be low. He really picks and chooses when he has a crack and there is a lot of leisurely jogging or strolling when he doesn't think he has much chance of winning the footy. Whether this is a poor tank or an attitude thing Im not sure....
Maybe it';s because he came off a limited pre season and had injury at the start of the year. You must have watched him like a hawk for the few games he's played. He seemed to glide across the field and his forward pressure isn't too bad. He's a keeper and a good one at that

Interesting that Hartley has nominated..
Maybe a 6 month contract at the pies ?

Not a bad move. If we don't think anyone will be better than what's going to be available at the end of the year - it'd be a good move to use the pick for what it was really intended - short term coverage of a weak area.

Would love to see us have a crack at Ballenden in regards to our ruck and forward issues.
Riley O’Brien played against him last week and smashed him.

The 202cm big man booted one goal from 37 disposals, 11 marks (four contested), 13 clearances, six inside 50s and 42 hit-outs.

COLLINGWOOD

Current ladder position: 10th

List spots currently available: 0

What they need: Key forward, ruck depth, key defender.

The Magpies recruited four small-medium types in last year’s national draft headlined by father-son prodigy Nick Daicos, so you would suspect it will be looking at a tall for the mid-season intake.

Collingwood-season recruit Nathan Kreuger is sidelined for the season, which can open up a mid-season slot, but the Magpies still appear short of a key forward with him in the side.

An instant hit of a mature-age forward may not suit their list build, but if they want to make a genuine shot at finals while just outside the eight, a player like former Brisbane Lion forward/ruck Connor Ballenden or powerful 28-year-old tall Zac Strom — who trained with Fremantle in the pre-season and stands 198cm and 108kg — could appeal.

Alternatively, the Pies can wait until the national draft where South Australian duo Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully, and Victorian prospect Aaron Cadman could be on offer.

The club’s key defensive stocks is an area of need with Jordan Roughead turning 32 this year. They plucked Charlie Dean from Williamstown VFL last year and now 23-year-old Seagulls tall defender Kallan Dawson is in mid-season calculations. Collingwood’s ruck depth has been exposed by a long-term injury to Brodie Grundy and they could turn to a developing ruckman. While they took recent debutant Aiden Begg in last year’s mid-season draft, Sandringham Dragon Max Ramsden looms as an exciting project ruckman if still available.

Murray Bushrangers 200cm forward-ruckman Toby Murray, the brother of former Magpie Sam, is another prospect to watch at the Pies’ selection after impressing for Collingwood’s VFL side against the AFL Academy on Saturday

Toby showed a Few Signs on Saturday so I would not Complain about Picking Him

"Several clubs are in the market for a key-position player, namely Carlton and Collingwood – and there’s a few to choose from. The Pies are more likely looking at a key defender."

IF we Go Key Defender would at least 1 of Kelly/McMahon go Forward?

Maybe it';s because he came off a limited pre season and had injury at the start of the year. You must have watched him like a hawk for the few games he's played. He seemed to glide across the field and his forward pressure isn't too bad. He's a keeper and a good one at that
I did watch him like a hawk, cause his strengths were bloody exciting…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the little inside knowledge I have about Mutaz El Nour is that we have been in touch with him again over the last couple of weeks. Apparently he is now 197cm

I'd like to believe that but growing 2 inches at 20yo would be unusual. Mutaz doesn't look that tall at the Bullants either.

I think he looks taller than 192cm, anyway, we do have an interest in him

I believe that and thanks for sharing. The AFL article also mentions Mutaz has grown so what do I know. If he has grown to 197cm it makes him a really interesting option because he is up at that genuine tall key defensive height. He already has some strong playing qualities with his intercepting, defending and speed. He'd be a good selection if we take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back