Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

What?

Collingwood were 17th last season and brought in a bunch of young players to the team but some how they have been playing together for longer and more experienced?

Not buying that sorry.
FWIW
Pies had 8 players over 27 years old.
Blues had 1.
Plus Pies had numerous players that had played finals including a GF.
Some cool heads out there leading the way when it mattered.

Gutted. Flat. Empty. Broken.

Said all year I fear one team and one team only: the Carlton Football Club.

Performances against Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane prove exactly that. A train wreck of a month and one of the biggest chokes you'll see from a sporting club. And we have to own it.

We need to hire the best sports psychologists in the country because the past month can completely break a group. Might be a good idea to offer sessions to our supporter base too.

Pies are ready to go side. They still haven't bottomed out yet. They just needed a fresh face. Systems and structures were in place. Much like when Scott took over Geelong in 2011. Any half decent coach would have won that premiership with those players. Not saying Collingwood will but they have a very experienced nucleus
This is spot on. 17 of their best 22 played in the 2020 elimination final win. And half the team played in the 2018 granny. This idea that they were in a rebuild at any point this season was just nonsense

I will say he has been barely average.

The last month, has totally failed.

Without question.
Interesting you say this because if I remember correctly, Voss wasn't selected on his tactical skills, he was selected to be a leader with the hope of picking a team around him to cover the tactical side.

Think a poster last week said his Collingwood mate with connections said they thought Voss had great leadership skills but were not sold on his tactical agility. I think Collingwood believed they didn't need a leader as much as a tactician and no doubt, McRae has hit the nail on the head with tactical ability.

This is the double edged sword of picking a coach like Voss, the players no doubt responded the last two weeks with effort but we were severely lacking at the end of both games in understanding what needed to be done. The fact that Saad found himself one on two on the defensive 50 that lead to the Elliot goal was mind boggling.

Interesting you say this because if I remember correctly, Voss wasn't selected on his tactical skills, he was selected to be a leader with the hope of picking a team around him to cover the tactical side.

Think a poster last week said his Collingwood mate with connections said they thought Voss had great leadership skills but were not sold on his tactical agility. I think Collingwood believed they didn't need a leader as much as a tactician and no doubt, McRae has hit the nail on the head with tactical ability.

This is the double edged sword of picking a coach like Voss, the players no doubt responded the last two weeks with effort but we were severely lacking at the end of both games in understanding what needed to be done. The fact that Saad found himself one on two on the defensive 50 that lead to the Elliot goal was mind boggling.
Isn’t Hansen meant to be the tactical genius?

The bloke that posted that said collingwood were “worried about Voss not having a plan b”. Which is odd, because no coach has a plan B, they just modify plan A

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Voss had to do with that list, is land us in the 8.

He failed.

As someone who hates your club and the pies just as equally, I can give an impartial view that the umpires absolutely screwed you over. The non free to McKay would've been paid their way no doubt.

It's never the frees they get, it's the ones you don't get that hurt the most. Never understood why the umps looks after the pies year after year.

Good luck next year, I think you'll be fine.
Not sure if the coaches ever say it and I doubt Vossy would have mentioned the frees in his presser. But Mcrea did, said we had the rub of the green in the 3rd… FFS.

All Voss had to do with that list, is land us in the 8.

He failed.
What about the players? Voss doesn't coach Durdin's bullshit kick inside 50, or Charlie's multiple dud shots on goal does he?

Blaming Voss is the easy way out, we had too many players at too many points this year be too stupid for their pay grade.

As bad a decision as it was its probably a bit harsh to blame a second year player on that loss and I’m sure he is completely gutted tonight (as we all are).

That said it was an insight into his thought process which is a worry so one can only hope he learns from it and it’ll be interesting to see how he responds next season.

Last edited:
Devastating loss (those last few i50s were friggin awful) and a failed season (though you could argue we were never really given a chance for our injuries), but I'm feeling optimistic.

We need to make some astute calls this off-season with the list, but the vast majority have shown that they can play very good, hard footy. We were ridiculous in the 3rd and played with a very sore Saad/Cripps/semi-fit Williams.

Setters has surely played himself into a new contract. In the form he's shown, I prefer him in there to MK. It's a more balanced midfield (with Doc there too).

I've been critical of Cerra. Today was easily his best game and a really great sign. Went hard and was clean.

Williams - didn't have the fitness to stay out there, but that was the GWS version today. First time we've really seen it imo and now I'm pumped all over again.

Cripps was enormous.

Another pre-season into the small forwards will be massive for us. Our biggest list weaknesses are ruck, wing and small-forwards.

I wanted to make a play for Goldy a couple of years ago. Still reckon it's worth a shot. Pitto looked very ordinary - especially first qtr and half. TDK still may not be ready next year. Our midfielders would thrive with a dominant ruck.

I'd be looking very hard at a gun HF/small forward with our first pick (or trade for one - Rachelle? 🙂).

I think the wings will likely sort themselves out between Cunners, Boyd, Cerra and Walsh - there’s easily enough talent there.

We are very close to having a Premiership contending 22. Now it's just a matter of keeping players fit, giving the team the opportunity to gel, another pre-season into our youngsters, sorting out the forward structure and getting things right between the ears!

This loss will hold them in good stead. Nothing comes easy at this level.

Last edited:
That was the result that really hurt us the most, that was inexcusable.

Saints loss as well

It hurts but clearly we have still got to get this rubbish losses to lesser rung teams if we want to evolve as a footy team.

A lot of anger on here tonight, and rightly so. But I think it's ill directed. I'm really pissed off.

• Those 2 outrageous umpiring decisions blocking ones in a space of 1 minute had the biggest influence on the game tonight. Disgraceful. 1st time in 6 years I have commented on umpires. These decisions got them back in the game. The 1st decision puts us 30 points up, the 2nd puts them 18 points down.
Since half way in the season we have been pushing shit up hill with injuries. Last time we played these blessed bastards we had Young playing one end & Curnow the other in terms of height. Tonight Hewett who has been massive was missing & Walsh who got 30 Brownlow votes last year also missing. Kennedy has been massive at times, missing. Players like Marchbank, McGovern, Williams & Martin hardly playing any footy.

Players in and out, in and out, in and out. Midway through the season missing 6 key talls. At the end of the year missing small mids & small defenders.

Saad was playing sore, so was Weitering. Cerra couldn't train during the week.

To say players are mentally weak, coaches don't know what they're doing is bullshit. Injuries caught up to us in the 2nd half of the year & the umps today (yes, we could've kicked straight in the last and done that right in the dying seconds, but we kicked everything in the 3rd)

The Saints game was a missed opportunity, but every team loses a game or 2 through bad kicking.

It's a real shame we didn't win today. We may have had Walsh & Hewett back in 2 weeks and anything from there can happen from there. But the injuries have been too hard to manage in the end. We could've easily been a top 4 team this year.

The boys did us proud the last 2 weeks. We stuffed up the last 2 minutes last week but this week the umps gave us one.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back