Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It does but we seem to do it more than most. Only 5 rounds in and we've thrown away 40 (v Hawks) and 50 (v Port). We were lucky to win both games. Our percentage speaks reams.
now we're lucky.........

Thrilled to be 4-1 given the patchy performances .
Plenty of exciting contested work but at times fall back into old ways of dumping the ball on the boot instead of looking for handball options .
Backline are the main offenders with the dump kick .

Have to remember we have a new coaching panel and game plan that has us handballing much more and some injuries starting to pile up .
Inconsistency is understandable so at this stage not concerned with the fadeouts .

We lack some run in the middle and defence .
So much upside given the class run and grunt of players such as Cripps Stocker Mcgovern Honey and later Cuningham to add to the side .

Im sure more consistency will come enjoy the start baggers beats the hell out of losing .

We also slowed down the footy and used the ball methodically by chipping to set up the goal by a beautiful kick from Newnes.

As much as I love the Drive off 1/2 back by our defensive runners sometimes you just have to calm down and use the ball take your time with the ball not handball quickly and kick chaos balls to a contest time and time again.

Do we have too many Running Defenders that actually would rather just run and carry than defend first?

Hopefully Vossy or assistants can come up with a set play where we can keep the ball off them to keep the heat out of their goal runs with the huge momentum they seem to garner as of late in our second halves .

We did play the last minute well . Scrambled albeit . We won four and one .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My takeaways:
*We get far too close to the man on the mark a lot of the time. That goes for field kicking and shots on goal.
*Our best will beat anyone.
*We aren't capable of playing our best for 4 quarters, but not many (any?) teams are really. The good ones just know how to control the tempo and learn when to time their runs and turn the jets on. At the moment for us, it's all or nothing and we run out of petrol.
*When we run out of gas, the oppo turns the pressure up. This forces us to revert to the long bombs and we fall into the trap of trying to keep up with them, instead of slowing the tempo and playing a possession game with a slower build up.
*We aren't identifying on the field when something isn't working and adjusting. When Port were coming, we resorted to long kicks out of D50 to a contest, thinking our talls would mark. It wasn't working. We kept turning it over at half back and putting our defence under pressure, but we kept doing it. Doc and Williams need to be able to work that out and look for the shorter options, but...
*Everyone in D50 is out of juice and standing flat footed.

Positives:
*We've got an almost completely new coaching group/gameplan and 3-4 new players all learning to gel, but we're still winning; even if it's just.
*We've had all of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Saad, Pitto, Martin, Gov and Durdin miss games.
*The VFL side is winning and players are putting their hands up every week.
*We still haven't seen Stocker, Kemp, Honey, Dow, Motlop or Carroll.
*There's no room in this side for Ed (as much as we all love him).
*Charlie's back!!

I said earlier in the week that I'll just take any win, despite this being a game where we should have gone for percentage. In previous years, we'd be 1-4 with no scope for improvement. We're 4-1 with plenty of room for improvement.
On a side note, I'm glad the guys didn't sing the song with a lot of gusto. They should be happy with the win, but know that they've still got plenty to work on.

We have the slowest 1 paced midfield in the comp who look quicker in the first half because of our speed of ball movement to our key forwards.

Come 2nd half when fatigue hits our “slow mids” we cannot afford to stop taking the game on as it allows opposition to outnumber of dangerous forwards.

Continue to take the game on but we may also need to find some balance with an injection of midfield pace going forward.

Worst 3rd quarter team in the comp by a fair margin it would seem.
Not the problem and not correct.

The whole team looks gassed by Q3.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the makings of a very damaging team.

Tall forwards are the envy of the league. Jack Martin and Zac Fisher, when engaged, are serious threats.
Defence is sorely missing the aerial dominance of McGovern.
Midfield is brutal in the contest.

Obviously need to work on strategy to arrest/mitigate momentum. Just need to hit that one 15m kick to clear the immediate danger defensively and then chip the ball around until we can generate a stoppage in our forward half. That's our ultimate strength, clearly; the stoppage.

Because we can't score from turnover or rebound 50 to save our lives.

Game plan revolves around stoppage dominance and our elite tall forwards. And our running half-backs in Docherty, Williams and Saad pushing up and providing an outlet from stoppages.

Despite the fact we were up by 40 odd in the first half, our defence and team defending was shocking, the ease Port were able to move the ball around and find an easy target up forward was quite surprising, I thought we were really lucky to be so far in front.

The biggest positive to come out of today, just like Richmond, Dogs and the Hawks, is that despite being shocking defensively, we won, we get to review and hopefully address a major problem with our tactics, set up and team selection and get better.

Good on Charlie and Harry today, both were great, we held on, which builds confidence and morale and we have seen three out of five games, how some players handle pressure and how some attack the contest when the heat is on, changes need to happen, hopefully if Cripps is back next week and a Stocker return, they can replace some weak links.

regardless of that, our biggest issue atm seems to be gameplan and structures, instead of personal, a lot to work on but a great position to build from.

Go Blues

Fingers crossed our season doesnt emulate our games, because the 2nd half of the year is gunna be rough!!

This really is Jekyll and Hyde stuff.... when it finally clicks though look out. I still dont think we've fielded our strongest side yet
I think increased cohesion and fitness will go a long way.

I do. He made multiple absolutely dreadful errors that cost us a lot of confidence and momentum. He is playing scared and needs to be dropped at all costs.
I reckon he's going pretty good. He was solid today. Much better than last week and I didn't think he was as bad as some were saying last week.
He's played 27 career games, only 3 with a new team and under new coaching and was a pick 49. Let's not expect him to be Weiters.

Love George Hewett 👍

Thank you Nick Austin.

Oh & never forget, we got him for NOTHING.

We will be 10 and 1 at the bye.
if you know what i mean eyebrow wiggle GIF

Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Wait What Reaction GIF

Davie Cuningham is made for this game plan. Speed and disposal should be a distinct point of difference. Over to you when you are ready DC.
Paired with Adam Cerra...

ac dc nirvana GIF

Freo alrwa
OIP.k12NMV8YIt4DM0XkJRiKzAHaJV

This times 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

Surely our coaching staff can come up with some plan to utilize this type of footy and stop momentum.

Plus we normally win majority of centre clearances as of late with our brutal attack on the footy so keep it going forward and pump it 10-15m out of our

goal square not handball/handball/handball like today it was like we were afraid to kick it anywhere near Allir understandable but he actually had an opponent today who was destroying him.
hold up a board on the boundary to indicate slow it down.. I’m just stumped why our mids have ceased kicking goals. Vossy, Aker, lapping and co always chipped in.. our mids bar Cripps have dried up since round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Back