Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think the change we needed in the second half is simple enough because it's within our control. We need players to break into small pockets of space on strong 45 degree or lateral leads. Not necessarily boundary side either (in fact preferably corridor leaning if the kicker is skilled). There was a real lack of movement in this respect for most of the second half, which resulted long kicks to packs.

If we did that for even a total of 10 min in the third qtr, we would have won comfortably. The change requires gut running and some bravery. I hope we see it next time

This team has ptsd from years of losing, and people are criticising a close win?

Port flogged us by 95 last year. A win was all I wanted, and I couldn't care a less how we got it.

I've read people talking down our other wins saying it's all against bottom 8 sides. Those teams have been in the competition's elite bracket for years, and suddenly they are crap?

Please.

This team is only now learning how to win. Enjoy the moment.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Zac Williams ?

Stats wise he’s going ok but it seems his kicks very rarely hit a target or are kicked to advantage.

Shaky 1 v 1 as most HBF are

It’s a massive part of our issues we have in the second half.

Our rebound out of defensive 50 is going no where and the ball continues to come back time after time, placing more pressure on defensive and our mids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

define who the top teams are
I'll have a go at this one...........:cool:

Carlton is one of them
Because we have played 5 matches and won four of them. Facts are facts.
I would pretty much guarantee other coaches aren't taking us lightly and have headaches about what happpens when we really hit it.

Last edited:
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Zac Williams ?

Stats wise he’s going ok but it seems his kicks very rarely hit a target or are kicked to advantage.

Shaky 1 v 1 as most HBF are

It’s a massive part of our issues we have in the second half.

Our rebound out of defensive 50 is going no where and the ball continues to come back time after time, placing more pressure on defensive and our mids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he has been ok this year and looks far more settled at half back this year than last year when he was trying to play in the midfield, however I thought he was poor yesterday (along with Saad and Doc - which hasn’t been the case much this year).

We seem to want our half backs to press really high and rely on their speed to get back deep in defence, but it did not work well yesterday as the likes of Gray, Rozee and Pepper Pig seemed to be free inside 50 a lot even in the first half.

If we stop doing smart arse plays after half time (read play like millionaires), then this will help us keep momentum - the Young moronic handball after a top mark a classic example.

Killer instinct means keeping the foot down and not giving otherwise demoralised opposition a real sniff - we did this in spades y’day and v Hawks.

Do you ever notice that lesser talented teams, with a sustained winning culture, win “big” when they’re on top? Hawks belting Port by 64 pts away rd2 and their thumping of Swans in Sydney last year excellent examples. That club knows how to win, it’s in their DNA.

I’m really encouraged we are good enough to get these big leads, now developing the temperament to keep the foot down the biggest issue - it will take time but we’ll get there.

Yeah. Was great the first 3 weeks, but was shocking last week, and average today. He's the weakest of our mids, and we can't carry his lack of run, which is exacerbated by our other midfield types.

Similar to the way we need to mix up our small forwards (unfortunately not this week). It's not necessarily that any of Durdin, Fisher or Honey isn't right individually (although they have all been a bit up and down), but that the combination of all three of them contributes to the way the opposition is able to move the ball so easily out of their backline. We need the power of Honey or Cunners to replace Owies.
Totally agree, We often broke down across half forward trying to kick to our small forwards like Owies, Fisher, Martin, Durdin which ignited their transition game after losing these contests.

We need to change that mix a bit but not lose the pressure, Honey or Cunningham (when fit) are the guys with the body strength to play that role.

Silvagni looked spent late in the game and also didn’t provide that lead up option at half forward when we kept breaking down.

If we stop doing smart arse plays after half time (read play like millionaires), then this will help us keep momentum - the Young moronic handball after a top mark a classic example.

Killer instinct means keeping the foot down and not giving otherwise demoralised opposition a real sniff - we did this in spades y’day and v Hawks.

Do you ever notice that lesser talented teams, with a sustained winning culture, win “big” when they’re on top? Hawks belting Port by 64 pts away rd2 and their thumping of Swans in Sydney last year excellent examples. That club knows how to win, it’s in their DNA.

I’m really encouraged we are good enough to get these big leads, now developing the temperament to keep the foot down the biggest issue - it will take time but we’ll get there.
Yep we over used the football early in the 3rd quarter and gave away momentum with costly turnovers and missed opportunities.

I read Mk had his thigh heavily strapped sometime during the week, probably why his output is down recently.
So play and reward Dow for his efforts in the 2s.

I was excited this season, to see Voss as a professional AFL coach, making mature match selection decisions.

Looking beyond the short term fix and W, to build a list.

One soldier in, one soldier out of a sustainable system.

If its true Kennedy is hampered. A guy with injury history, low ToG and is slow as it is. Just another indictment on coaching group

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I love stats but I do realise they are an easy way to criticise the team/players, in saying that, in the 3rd quarter where we were crap house, we had 5 players with only 1 possession and 3 with 2 possession.

In the 4th quarter, we had 2 players who got 0 possessions, 0 tackles, nothing and two players with only 2 touches.

Players have off games, but when you have players going a quarter of football not touching it, you are playing a man or two down.

I thought Jack Martin was great in the first and third quarters but when he’s off, he goes totally missing, same with Owies one possession in the second half.

I’m not a stats person either, but got to admit they’re far more reliable than my analysis which is made with a pie and beer in hand rather than a detailed spreadsheet.

Looking at the stats, we had some midfielders (one in particular) and wingers (not Cotts or Setters who were both good yesterday) who spent a lot of time in the offensive half and became very reluctant to run back.

Be interesting to see how Voss approaches this, but obviously we still need to work on stopping the “opposition tide” when it happens.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep we over used the football early in the 3rd quarter and gave away momentum with costly turnovers and missed opportunities.
Lairising 101, we are like the Cat with the mouse, we can kill it off any time but just play with it until it finds a way to escape. FFS just kill it Blues!

I think it was mentioned around here that an AFL survey of other teams view us as “Hollywood” with our culture - the way Charlie plays at times is a metaphor for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, people very quick to pick apart what we did or didn't do in these crappy second halves, but very rarely do they acknowledge that there is another team out there having to make adjustments to counteract our early dominance.

We play well, opposition reacts, we don't have the contingencies prepared to then counter them. Time the major factor. We're winning off the strength of our own primary gameplan, despite not having the reactivity that other sides have built over years of consistent coaching.
Does it need to take years to have a flexible reaction? Is that really what it is?
Is it that we aren't bold in countering the oppo's changes...they make moves..throw different players in the middle etc and we hold firm. Should we?

Lairising 101, we are like the Cat with the mouse, we can kill it off any time but just play with it until it finds a way to escape. FFS just kill it Blues!

I think it was mentioned around here that an AFL survey of other teams view us as “Hollywood” with our culture - the way Charlie plays at times is a metaphor for this.
Noticed some through the middle with an extra unnecessary handball or 2 at times or dinky little sideways kicks instead of getting it into F50 quickly.

Some of our guys have great stat lines but need to improve efficiency and decision making.

Can’t say enough about George Hewett at the moment! What a pick up this guy is … when the whips have been cracking against hawks and port late and we’ve nearly bottled both games this guy has been massive.

At this stage he’s the recruit of the year. What a star …. He’s fast become my favourite player … yes Walsh and cripps are our star mids but this guy is the type of player every premiership winning team needs. Hard as they come, wins his own footy, makes good decisions and when it’s time to get going he gets going. What a pick up!

So play and reward Dow for his efforts in the 2s.

I was excited this season, to see Voss as a professional AFL coach, making mature match selection decisions.

Looking beyond the short term fix and W, to build a list.

One soldier in, one soldier out of a sustainable system.

If its true Kennedy is hampered. A guy with injury history, low ToG and is slow as it is. Just another indictment on coaching group

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
Indictment? We're 4-1 and you're calling for Voss's head with the use of that word.

We're playing the long game. Trying to build sustainable success.

Perhaps MK felt he was ok, and as one of Voss's trusted lieutenants, he kept his spot, and perhaps by not playing to the level we know he can, he might have used up a little good will.

I have no issues them making Dow wait a little longer.

Few observations after travelling down.

Our best is bloody good.

It was hot, like 28 degrees abnormally hot. The first half when we did most of the running was played in direct sun, the second half clouded over and obviously more shade from the stands. We played in the heat last week at Metricon, which I reckon was part of the reason for the 5 changes - an acknowledgement that we might struggle for legs.

Port are a very good running side. Most of the 16 goal shellacking last year came in the second half, we were actually leading in the second quarter. In the third (yesterday), Port kept switching to use the open Warne stand wing - we did a lot of defensive, tiring running.

We were running on fumes the last quarter and a half. We had no overlap run from behind, no run forward of the ball to create space for the safe chip pass. Hence the need to bomb long.

Our current tall defenders are a worry. Weiters looks a step off his best and the spoils (rather than the marks last year) are 50/50 as to who they end up with. We are not taking defensive marks and regaining control of the play. Parks is not the answer to intercept and we clearly need Gov or Marchbank. Young's positioning and body work is too often poor. Georgiades should never have been able to take the mark that brought it back under a goal. Should have been fisted out of bounds every day of the week by a half decent defender.

Re the debate about Kennedy. I don't think he should be "dropped" but a rest certainly wouldn't hurt. The fresh, dynamic player has been replaced by a tired, sore battler.

Much rather dissect wins than losses, but I long for some stress-free wins. The adrenaline does help with the 3 hour drive home though!

Does it need to take years to have a flexible reaction? Is that really what it is?
Is it that we aren't bold in countering the oppo's changes...they make moves..throw different players in the middle etc and we hold firm. Should we?

Short answer, yes I think it does take some years to build. Especially when the previous coach spent a few years neglecting that style of play too.

Enough with the “we could be 1-4 right now”.

Guess what? We’re not. It’s ******* 4-1. We still won those games. And as disappointing as that second half was today, we are still 4-1. Need to take the 4pts, reset and look to Freo

The Gestalt principle: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

While we’re all very happy with the wins, the whole (winning) is not greater than sum of our parts because they are too problematic (players not being able to run out games, getting out coached, players mental fortitude to be able to put a team away, allowing momentum swings)

Yep we’ve weirdly missed McGovern and Parks or Plowman aren’t capable of playing that intercepting role.

We’re relying on Weitering to do a lion’s share of the defensive work. As good as he is, he’s not Rance, he doesn’t have the athleticism to make long heroic spoils and just needs to control things as well as he can.

In general I don’t think our role players suit the style we are playing. We are pretty vanilla in the middle, we need some more creativity and weapons around the ground.

The Gestalt principle: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

While we’re all very happy with the wins, the whole (winning) is not greater than sum of our parts because they are too problematic (players not being able to run out games, getting out coached, players mental fortitude to be able to put a team away, allowing momentum swings)

That might sound complex, but that's a very simple way of putting it.

The current issue is game plan response and in the head. Both are things that can be evolved and improved in the season.

The current strength is that when we are going full throttle, no one can keep up.

It terms of running out games, that's false. The issue is we're changing the way we play when the other team gets a goal or two and we're not doing that well yet.

We can run out games. Evidence of that is obviously Richmond, but also Dogs, Hawks and Power.

With all 3 matches the opposition got back in the game EARLY in the 4th and we wrestled back control and ran out the game slightly stronger.

I don't think we're getting outcoached either. We're trying to play the game on our terms. Voss is sticking fat with the slow down hold up style. Still a work in progress, of course.

Yes, the mental problem is there, but it also shows an evolution of the issue we had last year where we've managed to also take back initiative and win the match. But there is a work in progress problem that need to be resolved.

All in all, what our strength are cannot be taught through the season. That's offseason evolution and player quality. What we are lacking can be taught through the season.

Our main issue is depth in a couple of essential positions that our game is heavily dependent on (especially our second half game) Intercepting defender, ruck and wing. Wing I am not too worried about, however Pitto and McGovern are so essential and that is something we can't fix during the season (maybe 1 in MSD) and will be pure luck to have them all season long.

I just like that we clearly know the areas we need to fix and something that can be covered over the next offseason.

We're not a finished product, but bloody hell we at least have a product... something we have not had for a mighty long time.

This talk of dropping Kennedy is silly. How to wreck the fabric of a team. Everyone Drops due to form but he has credits for 1-2 more games based on games 1-3. No one labelled us slow vs Doggies and Richmond. Cerra two average games and bounced back. Hopefully Kennedy does too. Calling for him now is ridiculous. Are you Teague?
Teague? LOL.
Just mount a valid argument for who goes out for Cripps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Back